[New] Philips Fidelio X1
Jun 15, 2014 at 1:59 PM Post #4,591 of 5,962
I sold mine to that happy guy above but I made sure to burn them in for many hours and used at least a decent DAC/amp...

And even that ~50h You told isn`t enough burn-in for X1 imho. I left them do burn-in (without listening) with different music for about ~150h with DAC/amp (+10dB gain btw) and they are way better sounding after that ;P After ~150-200h it hasn`t changed.

Jun 15, 2014 at 2:05 PM Post #4,592 of 5,962
  Well, a lot of people on the Fidelio X1 amp thread said that they don't scale that much, and some said they even sound good on onboard audio. So that's what I was hoping, turned out not to be.

But it doesn't matter, I got a pair with annoying channel imbalance, which I already packed in and will ship by Tuesday. I hope my next pair won't have that annoying channel imbalance.

Fair enough, the channel imbalance is a very valid issue. Hope you got better luck next time. 
beerchug.gif

Jun 15, 2014 at 2:06 PM Post #4,593 of 5,962
  And even that ~50h You told isn`t enough burn-in for X1 imho. I left them do burn-in (without listening) with different music for about ~150h with DAC/amp (+10dB gain btw) and they are way better sounding after that ;P After ~150-200h it hasn`t changed.

The happier you're, the merrier I am mate 
wink_face.gif

Jun 15, 2014 at 2:10 PM Post #4,595 of 5,962
Does the channel imbalance issue happen a lot more often?

No, it's pretty rare as far as I know.
It's something you could measure yourself if you had a multimeter btw.

Jun 15, 2014 at 4:01 PM Post #4,596 of 5,962
Is it measured same way as with L/R impedance? 

Jun 15, 2014 at 4:07 PM Post #4,597 of 5,962
  Is it measured same way as with L/R impedance? 

I was thinking you'd measure it the same way. There has to be some sort of [hopefully] measurable mismatch between L/R channels of any form if the spectrum has an audible difference.

Jun 15, 2014 at 4:11 PM Post #4,598 of 5,962
Probably driver impedance will be able to show it also but I`m thinking it could be also something with driver build issue or something like that. No idea though, not familiar with that issue and its reasons.

Jun 15, 2014 at 5:01 PM Post #4,599 of 5,962
I also played Cod Black ops with the X1 for around 30 minutes. 

Even on that game that has bad audio cues, sometimes I immediately killed someone that was sneaking up on me, because I heard exactly where he was. And that's something I could not have done with my other headphones.

Jun 15, 2014 at 5:42 PM Post #4,600 of 5,962
  I also played Cod Black ops with the X1 for around 30 minutes. 

Even on that game that has bad audio cues, sometimes I immediately killed someone that was sneaking up on me, because I heard exactly where he was. And that's something I could not have done with my other headphones.

The Fidelio X1s are a very nice open headphone. The imaging and soundstaging is really good, something that a lot of open headphones have over their closed counterparts. The X1s get special mention for this, of course, because I feel they do better than the standard.

Jun 16, 2014 at 11:14 AM Post #4,601 of 5,962

The Fidelio X1s are a very nice open headphone. The imaging and soundstaging is really good, something that a lot of open headphones have over their closed counterparts. The X1s get special mention for this, of course, because I feel they do better than the standard.

Yesterday was the first time I experienced true soundstage with the X1. You know on the map derail when you complete a match and you hear the train wreck on the far side of the right?

Well, I've never expierenced a sound that out of my head before, it really gave a sense of distance.

Jun 16, 2014 at 2:32 PM Post #4,602 of 5,962
  Yesterday was the first time I experienced true soundstage with the X1. You know on the map derail when you complete a match and you hear the train wreck on the far side of the right?

Well, I've never expierenced a sound that out of my head before, it really gave a sense of distance.

I never played Black Ops, but I know about dat soundstage. :wink:

Jun 17, 2014 at 12:07 AM Post #4,603 of 5,962
Bought a pair of Fidelio X1's last week off Amazon warehouse.  They were listed as "like new" and were discounted as used.  After reading up on some other experiences of peoples purchases off amazon warehouse, I pulled the trigger.  I opted for the "free" shipping which was quoted at between 1 and 2 weeks delivery time.  This was not the prime shipping but a lower grade "free" option.  The headphones arrived in less than a week by one day.  It sat "waiting" for the first few days then shipped.

Opened the amazon box to find the Fidelio X1 box with a few air bags for packaging material.

Inspecting the box I could not find any holes, gouges, dents, or much of any damage.  I had heard reports of "like new" items on amazon warehouse typically being new, but with damaged boxes.  Guess that was not the case here.

So I opened up the X1 box and it looked pristine and new inside, with everything appearing to be in the right spot. Sorry for the blurry headphone picture.  I didn't see lint on the ear pads or any scratches.  I was like what the heck, these guys messed up and sent me a NEW pair, lol.

I took the headphones out of the box, and that is where I noticed the major damage! The flash made the button illegible.  The label/button for the right speaker came off.  That was the major damage.  Now I can't tell which one is the right earphone!  Well at least the left side is still on undamaged.  When I get around to it, I will glue the label back on. I'm not concerned at all if that little button is what got me the $52 off.

So I plug these into my iPhone since I had it with me while I was unboxing these.  I had a head-fi page up on my phone and clicked on a YouTube bass demo that was linked somewhere in this thread........  Sounding good!!  Picked one or two songs on the iPhone just for testing and what hit me the most was the soundstage.

Next up, I plugged them into my computer.  Don't hit me yet but I am using onboard audio at the moment.  My previous headphones were USB so I did not invest in a soundcard, and I have had lots of (vintage now I guess) soundcards.  Starting with 8-bit AdLib FM syth only, the sound blaster pro 8-bit, AWE32 (the full length one with ram slots), awe64, chaintech av710, SbLive!... 

Fired up Team Fortress 2 on my computer.  I have played a lot of TF2 but it never sounded like this!  Even with the onboard audio the soundstage was very wide, and I could hear other players yelling "MEDIC!" down the hall and could almost pinpoint where they were.  A few times I ran over to where I *thought* I heard the audio come from and sure enough a guy was there trying to get health packs or something.  The sound is great too, with the rockets exploding and sentry guns locking on to their targets.

The comfort of these things are great!  I did not have to bend the headband or do anything to them.  I would have considered my melon larger than normal so was anticipating an issue.

The reason I switched from desktop speakers to headphones is that I moved my computer into the bedroom as we had to use the other room for the baby.  Can't play late at night with desktop speakers if the wife is sleeping.  I was concerned that the headphones being "open" would annoy her since she is sleeping about 10 feet from my computer.  She slept all night even though I played a couple hours at comfortable volume. I wouldn't have gone louder if it was daytime, it was a good sound level.  If the TV or something in the background is running, Fahgettaboudit !!

http://www.amazon.com/Kryptonite-997986-Black-Fahgettaboudit-U-Lock/dp/B000OZ9VLU/ref=pd_sim_sg_1/179-1020953-3953818?ie=UTF8&refRID=1ECN5Y25Z893RX6NG7JK
Sorry, I rofl at that lock.

While at work I have my headphones playing away on a 9 hour playlist (each day) of Michael Jackson, Depeche Mode, whatever I have that has some bass to it.  Will the burn-in make a difference?  Check this out for some good reading, on things I never considered before, regarding burn-in. http://www.gr-research.com/burnin.htm

I have a monoprice "mobile audio" 3.5mm cable that should be here in a day or two, currently I am using the stock cable. Also I am going to pickup a soundblaster Z to power these headphones.  Those two items should increase the sound quality from what I am using now.  Already I am impressed, though.

Overall, WOW!  I am sure I will do another double take once I get the correct amplification!

Jun 17, 2014 at 1:43 PM Post #4,604 of 5,962
So before I'll send my damaged pair of X1's back to the store for another pair tomorrow, I've been listening to them a lot today. 

They sound better than when I had them new. I must say they have a very nice sound signature.

Why? Well, it's basically because they have good clarity while they're still really smooth sounding. That, and the very good comfort makes for a very comfortable listening if my pair didn't have the driver imbalance issue.

Jun 17, 2014 at 8:54 PM Post #4,605 of 5,962
hello guys, my first post here 

first i wanna say that my english is not very good, but i think we can understand each other 

i read this entire thread and also read some reviews about this headphones and im probably gonna order them very soon 
My only "problem" is that i have Xonar STX soundcard and as it seems its not a good match.

my question : is it really that bad? Or if maybe someone here upgraded from STX to similar priced DAC/AMP and can maybe share his findings.
I also own a stereo amp NAD 326bee and can try headphone out on front panel.

i'm not looking for perfect sound or the best dac/amp for this headphones for now, if i can get 80% of Sound Quality with my setup i will be happy :) 

So guys this is it for now, thanks for any help and advice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back