[New] Philips Fidelio X1
Nov 25, 2013 at 12:47 PM Post #3,166 of 5,962
I love them for rock, but I tend to use more mid-focused headphones for it.

Where I find the X1's to really shine is with trance and other electronic music. Gorgeous.

Nov 26, 2013 at 7:47 PM Post #3,171 of 5,962
How does the Fidelio X1 work without an amp or DAC?

So far, I've been using it with my very old computer. Even on that, it sounds really good. Can get up to fairly high volume. So I can only imagine how great it will sound on something like the Fiio E07K (which I plan to get very soon)

Also sounds pretty decent on my GS3 too.

Nov 27, 2013 at 1:57 AM Post #3,172 of 5,962
So chicolom sent me to ask here for any recommendations on a good cable to replace the stock one of the X1. I was wondering if either of these fit the bill or if anyone had something better they can recommend me. I would prefer a braided one though :p I'm weird like that

http://www.amazon.com/BLUE-FLAME-BF2030-Aux-Connector/dp/B009RUYNLG/ref=sr_1_2?s=audio-video-accessories&ie=UTF8&qid=1385498718&sr=1-2&keywords=blueflame

or 

http://www.amazon.com/Premium-Stereo-Auxiliary-smartphone-players/dp/B005K1C91W/ref=sr_1_67?s=audio-video-accessories&ie=UTF8&qid=1385495302&sr=1-67&keywords=braided

I'd gladly look at something "higher end" so long as it wasn't hundreds of $$$$

Nov 27, 2013 at 5:35 AM Post #3,176 of 5,962
I just got the mediabridge cable in the end, that blueflame one is ridiculously overpriced and the one from china could be an option later if not having a braided cable seriously bugs me. Thanks for the amazing review and the help! Can't wait to get my first ever headphones (ever, never even bought crappy logitech ones or anything)!

Just hope the ModMic works well with my Xonar STX, as it's the only reason I pulled the trigger on the X1's as I game a lot and needed a good microphone with m headphones. Been looking for years at getting audiophile headphones (mostly mid-range) because I refused to get any gaming headset as I found they just made things worse sounding but what was holding me back was a good microphone. So excited!

I'll let you know what I think of em!

Nov 27, 2013 at 11:02 AM Post #3,177 of 5,962
  I just got the mediabridge cable in the end, that blueflame one is ridiculously overpriced and the one from china could be an option later if not having a braided cable seriously bugs me. Thanks for the amazing review and the help! Can't wait to get my first ever headphones (ever, never even bought crappy logitech ones or anything)!

Just hope the ModMic works well with my Xonar STX, as it's the only reason I pulled the trigger on the X1's as I game a lot and needed a good microphone with m headphones. Been looking for years at getting audiophile headphones (mostly mid-range) because I refused to get any gaming headset as I found they just made things worse sounding but what was holding me back was a good microphone. So excited!

I'll let you know what I think of em!

Wow If you got these as your first headphones I think you're in for an absolute treat.
Well, I think the sony pulse gaming headset is quite good, specially if you have a ps3. But even if you don't, you can still hook it up to pretty much everything, you just won't be able to turn on the digital 7.1 surround sound feature.

Nov 27, 2013 at 11:04 AM Post #3,178 of 5,962
I'll be using these from my computer only. One is through a Xonar STX and the other just w/e onboard DAC that the MSI GT 2OC has. If I find the onboard DAC on that laptop sucks I'll try to get my hands on something portable like the Fiio E7 or something.

Nov 29, 2013 at 8:35 PM Post #3,179 of 5,962
@Sarith I've had so many problems in finding the right headset for me as I have really sensitive ears, they're also above average sized and pressure on my scalp isn't easygoing on me either. So far I've been listening for around 3 hours and I barely feel them on my head, they're so comfortable (X1). I still need an amp though, it doesn't feel like I've unveiled their true potential yet, just did some minor realtek settings. Anyway, regarding comfort, these are probably the most comfortable I've ever tried. And I've tried a **** load of 'em in major stores. My comfort choices were initially MDR-R1, DT990 pro (the cheaper version), K701 or the X1. I'm not sure if you care about the details, but the K701 was also quite comfy, it's just that the earcups are a bit loose, the only present issue lies in the headband, it's really painful, at least at the beginning. The MDR-1Rs are also comfortable, but I personally don't like leather/fake leather pads because it falls off in a short time and they also feel pretty hot after a while. I could say the DT990 pads are more "fluffy", but because of that my ears will probably touch the drivers if I'm aiming for a long session. The DT990 have a better foam layer on the drivers though, maybe it could work out for you (the T1 must be clearly better in every detail), I wouldn't risk it anyhow, it sounds a bit embarassing but try everything out in a store if you can before buying. The Fidelio X1 felt a bit tight at the beginning, but since it has a metal casing you can easily adjust it. I'm pretty curious about the fact that you're comparing 1000$ headphones with 250$ ones. Hope this helps you anyhow !
P.S.: I know didn't ask for any other suggestions in your post, but I've changed my mind a 100 times so it's just useful insight if you have the same issue as I do.

Nov 30, 2013 at 12:16 AM Post #3,180 of 5,962

Have not been around Headfi much (too big of a temptation to buy new stuff).

I actually ended up buying the AKG 702 annie which I have now been using since the end of August and it hits every check box for me, easily my favorite headphone I have ever owned. Now I don't remember the X1 extremely well but it was a great headphone sans my big ears lol and if you are looking for a headphone for that price range I don't think you can really go wrong.

Being a starving student I just could not justify having a $1000 pair of headphones that I could not drive properly hence the reasoning for getting rid of the T1.

I am glad you are enjoying your X1 and that it worked out for you. I don't think many people would have my issue as my birth was premature and when they were trying to get me out they ended up squishing my head, changing its shape. That plus big ears makes it so headphones fit a little different.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back