[New] Philips Fidelio X1
Dec 4, 2013 at 3:48 PM Post #3,197 of 5,962
I have been thinking hard for the past week and still can't decide to go with these or the dt990 600ohm or even the m100. I will mainly be using these for gaming and music and really want bass one of the reasons I am looking at these. I am unable to find them to try so I was curious if these really can produce good bass. I am no audiophile and prefer a fun can more than neutral. How good is the bass? Mind you I don't want to lose imaging or clarity but do want bass without a limit lol.

Dec 5, 2013 at 12:45 PM Post #3,198 of 5,962
  I have been thinking hard for the past week and still can't decide to go with these or the dt990 600ohm or even the m100. I will mainly be using these for gaming and music and really want bass one of the reasons I am looking at these. I am unable to find them to try so I was curious if these really can produce good bass. I am no audiophile and prefer a fun can more than neutral. How good is the bass? Mind you I don't want to lose imaging or clarity but do want bass without a limit lol.

I have the m100 and these and I find the sound signature of the X1s better suited for most genres, but if all you listen to electronic music the m100s are where it's at, not saying the x1 are bad for electronic they are far from it, i'd rate them a 9/10 for me, but the m100s are just that perfect 10. Besides that, I really like the build quality and portability of the vmodas, the x1s look indeed very pretty but I find them delicate for some reason, + I hate the fact that philips didn't care on making replacement earpads for them.
Comfort is better on the x1 thought feel a lot more bulky on my head.
If you want bass you'll get plenty with both cans, the vmodas will just have more.
I haven't test them for gaming yet, so no opinion on that for now.
Anyway, they are still two different cans intended for different purposes, and that's why I have them both, if you're even slightly thinking on taking them out on the streets get the m100 cause the x1s are easily the biggest can i've ever had plus they leak sound like crazy.

Do not have experience with the dt990 but I would expect them to be more neutral compared to the others.

Dec 5, 2013 at 1:09 PM Post #3,199 of 5,962

Isn't the DT990 600ohm harder to drive? Do you have an amp for these puppies?

M-100s can run with any device and sound great with great bass extension and never too hot trebles. Plus there's also a boom Mic that you can get with it for gaming. If you're looking for fun, this is where's it at. Might have to get used to initial clamping pressure or get the XL pads if comfort is an issue. I never had a problem with them and have both stock and XL pads. I prefer the stock pads. Just my 2 cents.

Just my 2 cents.

Dec 6, 2013 at 8:55 AM Post #3,200 of 5,962
Isn't the DT990 600ohm harder to drive? Do you have an amp for these puppies?

M-100s can run with any device and sound great with great bass extension and never too hot trebles. Plus there's also a boom Mic that you can get with it for gaming. If you're looking for fun, this is where's it at. Might have to get used to initial clamping pressure or get the XL pads if comfort is an issue. I never had a problem with them and have both stock and XL pads. I prefer the stock pads. Just my 2 cents.

Just my 2 cents.

I will be getting an amp currently no idea on which one however. I am so torn unfortunately I am not able to demo these before I buy and the wife is against me purchasing more than 1 at once go figure. One other can I am looking at is the pro 900 as well. Music will be mainly country however lots of pop as well. I currently have the mix amp and will be purchasing amp after I decide on which headphone I want. Out of those headphones which one will do female vocals great while digging into the sub bass as well? And yes I have read many reviews for the past week just want to hear more thoughts thanks.

Dec 7, 2013 at 8:47 PM Post #3,201 of 5,962
  How do you think the E07K sound with X1? If you have those headphones, of course.

Trying it now... Been listening on the Aune T1 up until now, but..... Yeah, they sound great on the E07K. I'm running it with 6,0,0 (gain, bass, treble) and it sounds good. Soundstage, transparency, bass punch.... IMO a little shallower than from the T1, but that COULD just be placebo :)

Whoo, some of that Paradise Circus action with the bass up to 4? In a word? Yes.

Very much yes.

EDIT: Holy mother of everything holy, the drum solo from Patricia Barber's "Nardis"?? I was going to bed, but now i am going to have to play through my whole demo-list again....

Dec 11, 2013 at 8:48 PM Post #3,203 of 5,962
Hey guys I'm new to this forum. I've been meaning to replace my 2010 A40s. I want something for music but also for gaming and movies. These seemed like they were good all around. I game on consoles so I'd be buying these X1s, a clip on mic, and the Astro Mix Amp. Are there any other headphones that are a better deal than the X1s? And the X1s are better than the A40s right?

Dec 12, 2013 at 3:58 AM Post #3,204 of 5,962
Could anyone tell me how the SQ of the X1 compares to the Sennheiser HD 600 and HD650?

Next to the HD650 the X1 has more bass, less midrange, and is more open sounding with a larger soundstage.  The HD650 will sound leaner in the bass, more intimate, and with more midrange.  The X1 is slightly less refined than the HD650.

Dec 12, 2013 at 6:23 AM Post #3,206 of 5,962

Next to the HD650 the X1 has more bass, less midrange, and is more open sounding with a larger soundstage.  The HD650 will sound leaner in the bass, more intimate, and with more midrange.  The X1 is slightly less refined than the HD650.

Thanks for the reply. When you say refined does that mean that the seperation between instruments is more defined? Are these headphones considered in the same league as each other? 

Dec 12, 2013 at 6:49 AM Post #3,207 of 5,962
  Thanks for the reply. When you say refined does that mean that the seperation between instruments is more defined? Are these headphones considered in the same league as each other? 

"Refined" is sort of a vague term, but I usually think of it as being slightly more polished and less grainy in the fine details.  It's a minor difference between them though.

Both headphones are in the same league.

I personally prefer the X1 over the HD650.  I find the X1s more "fun" to listen to while the HD650 is a little boring for me.  The X1 also has the larger soundstage and more open soundstage which is a huge priority for me.  The X1 is easier to drive, more comfortable FOR ME, and cheaper (although I would still prefer X1 even if they were the same price).

Here's some of my thoughts on the HD650:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/534479/mad-lust-envys-headphone-gaming-guide-updated-9-2-2013-sony-ma900-added/16785#post_9804860

Dec 12, 2013 at 10:19 AM Post #3,209 of 5,962
  Hey guys I'm new to this forum. I've been meaning to replace my 2010 A40s. I want something for music but also for gaming and movies. These seemed like they were good all around. I game on consoles so I'd be buying these X1s, a clip on mic, and the Astro Mix Amp. Are there any other headphones that are a better deal than the X1s? And the X1s are better than the A40s right?

I just wanted to point out that due to their weight, they're only really suitable for sitting down, looking straight ahead. If you look down to work or whatever they tend to fall off. They're extremely versatile between music genre's though. Maybe I notice this more than most since I also have a pair of CAL!'s, which practically float in the air XD.

Dec 13, 2013 at 10:34 AM Post #3,210 of 5,962
I've read a lot of reviews here and I think innerfidelity gives the most honest and accurate review.  They sound very open, heavier on the bass side though not sacrificing mids-highs, are very very comfortable, are easy to drive though an amp is required, and are a great value for the price.  I think the comments about the cable are overstated, it's a very subtle difference when changing cables and it's only noticeable if you're actively switching back and forth looking for a difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back