[New] Philips Fidelio X1
Nov 10, 2013 at 9:51 AM Post #3,136 of 5,962
Ps to last message:
s Sorry the dac i thought you were referring to is the x1 mk2  (i dont think that one has a lineout put) any idea of the differences between t1 and x1 mk2? They dont seem to be very well known.
Greetings, Anouk,

This thread has a lot of info on the T1:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/633006/aune-t1-usb-tube-dac-amp-discussion-thread-see-first-post-for-faq
It's a tube buffered DAC and does have a 1 watt headphone amp with adjustable gain plus a line out.

Did you manage to try it out then? I remember you mentioned you would be able to test it out soon? Is it as good as the sound blaster Z + starlight?

I ended up getting the FiiO E17 but I'm not sure it's worth it. It does sound a bit better (if I concentrate) when listening to well mastered albums (and probably worse when listening to poorly mastered albums) but I like rock music and the increased clarity seems to highlight the distortion used by electric guitarists which I'm finding makes the whole experience less enjoyable. But I only got it yesterday so I need to test it out more before I make any firm conclusions.

The T1 is a large step above the e17 in build quality and aesthetics (I just love the look and the volume knob is really nice), but just a small step ahead in sound. IMO it doesn't compare to the Starlight.

Nov 16, 2013 at 9:00 PM Post #3,138 of 5,962
Just curious.. why don't you create a FS thread?

Nov 16, 2013 at 9:05 PM Post #3,139 of 5,962
It's against TOS folks. You do not put sale post on other section of the forum.

He puts here because he is not eligible to post it on sales forum yet (now with this, he might never).

Nov 16, 2013 at 9:21 PM Post #3,140 of 5,962
Ethan.. could you please describe what the Project Starlight does to the sound of the Fidelio? I imagining that you're getting a lusher sound out of it.

Nov 16, 2013 at 9:22 PM Post #3,141 of 5,962
  It's against TOS folks. You do not put sale post on other section of the forum.

He puts here because he is not eligible to post it on sales forum yet (now with this, he might never).

Ah, I didn't know there's eligibility requirements to posting the the sale forum. 

Nov 16, 2013 at 9:34 PM Post #3,142 of 5,962

Ah, I didn't know there's eligibility requirements to posting the the sale forum. 

It's something like X posts before being able to sell. The number was 50 when I joined, but I think it's a lot lower now than it was before. A moderator can override this as well, I believe I've seen Currawong do so for a member in the past.

Nov 16, 2013 at 9:41 PM Post #3,143 of 5,962
Ethan.. could you please describe what the Project Starlight does to the sound of the Fidelio? I imagining that you're getting a lusher sound out of it.

Mostly controls the bass so that there's less bloom and enhances the tone of strings and vocals.

Nov 18, 2013 at 10:22 AM Post #3,144 of 5,962
In an older post chicolom wrote that he measured the impedance of the default cable to be 1.8 ohm. 

I'm thinking of getting a 3 m OFC cable (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Pure-Shielded-3-5mm-Stereo-Cable/dp/B003PU6NTY/ref=sr_1_39?m=ANC65A3J0328N&s=merchant-items&ie=UTF8&qid=1384787297&sr=1-39) to replace the default one. I don't really want the cable to be much shorter than 3 m.

HaVoC-28 has actually measured the impedance of the same cable at 1.8 m length as 0.5/0.6 ohm so I'm guessing the 3 m cable will be around 1 ohm. 

So my question is ideally what's the generally recommended maximum resistance for an X1 cable? Is 1 ohm resistance too high? 

Nov 18, 2013 at 2:21 PM Post #3,145 of 5,962
  In an older post chicolom wrote that he measured the impedance of the default cable to be 1.8 ohm. 

I'm thinking of getting a 3 m OFC cable (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Pure-Shielded-3-5mm-Stereo-Cable/dp/B003PU6NTY/ref=sr_1_39?m=ANC65A3J0328N&s=merchant-items&ie=UTF8&qid=1384787297&sr=1-39) to replace the default one. I don't really want the cable to be much shorter than 3 m.

HaVoC-28 has actually measured the impedance of the same cable at 1.8 m length as 0.5/0.6 ohm so I'm guessing the 3 m cable will be around 1 ohm. 

So my question is ideally what's the generally recommended maximum resistance for an X1 cable? Is 1 ohm resistance too high? 

I wouldn't worry so much about the specific resistance.

The consensus is that the stock cable is abnormally high at 1.8, so any normal resistance cable will be lower and should be fine.

Nov 20, 2013 at 7:46 AM Post #3,147 of 5,962
Hey people, thinking of picking myself up a pair of the X1s, can get them for 179.95 GBP. But I have a few questions before I take the plunge!

1. What are they like for listening to heavier music, bands such as Cannibal Corpse, Slayer, Opeth, Immortal etc...
2. What combo of AMP/DAC would you recommend for around the 200 ish mark? I've been looking at getting the Schiit Modi+Magni combo.
3. Any good for gaming/movies? I like positional awareness (games like BF4) but also want to be immersed.

Cheers to anyone who can help answer.

Jimbo x

Nov 20, 2013 at 9:31 AM Post #3,148 of 5,962
Regarding question (2):

I was also looking at the Schiit Magni/Modi combo but it's kind of expensive in the UK i.e. £210 (i.e. $340) including shipping. EPH O2D by Epiphany Acoustics is somewhere around £190 (i.e. $305) including shipping. 

From what I have read the reason most people in the US recommend  the Schiit Magni/Modi combo over the O2/ODAC combo is because it's cheaper in the US and the performance of both is supposed to be comparable. However I'm not sure if the O2D by Epiphany Acoustics performs the same as the O2/ODAC by JDS Labs sold in the US. I've read the latter being described as neutral and the former as warm but maybe other people on this forum can shed some light on this?

Also I think the HRT Microstreamer and Audioquest Dragonfly are in your price range. 

Here's a thread comparing different amps/DAC people have used for the Fidelio X1. 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/689313/dac-amp-for-fidelio-x1-ratings-and-recommendations-compilation-thread

Nov 20, 2013 at 10:06 AM Post #3,149 of 5,962
Nov 20, 2013 at 10:56 AM Post #3,150 of 5,962
179.95 GBP - take it this from RicherSounds? Seems like everywhere else you look the price has rocketed up to £220 ish (ie on Amazon etc). Maybe it's because Black Friday is coming then they'll drop the price again - dunno (since when did we Brits get a Black Friday?).

For games get a cheap Xonar > lineouts > O2 or use Razersurround > USB > ODAC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back