[New] Philips Fidelio X1
Apr 17, 2014 at 7:40 AM Post #4,291 of 5,962
I like the spread out smooth sound of the X1 for rock music and all genres included. You still get a nice visceral growl from guitars, a lively sense of voices, and groovy bass melodies. In particular, I recently added some more ACDC to my collection.

ACDC songs I enjoyed the most on the X1:

Back in Black
Rising Power
Given the Dog a Bone
You Shook Me All Night Long
Girls Got Rhythm
Shake a Leg

Apr 17, 2014 at 7:49 AM Post #4,292 of 5,962
Rush & AC/DC sounds great with X1 too but much depends on source/amplification/cable upgrade. Like I already shared, with Aune T1 and JAN Sylvania 6922 (82219 EAD 7002, US, green label) rock/metal/progressive are very enjoyable imho. At first I was also littlebit disappointed with those genres but luckily right tube fixed it :wink: Last night I was really enjoying TOOL, Mars Volta and A Perfect Circle, so much that I fell asleep with X1`s on my head and woke up several hours later. Those cans are soooo comfy! ;P

Apr 17, 2014 at 1:01 PM Post #4,293 of 5,962
  Rush & AC/DC sounds great with X1 too but much depends on source/amplification/cable upgrade. Like I already shared, with Aune T1 and JAN Sylvania 6922 (82219 EAD 7002, US, green label) rock/metal/progressive are very enjoyable imho. At first I was also littlebit disappointed with those genres but luckily right tube fixed it :wink: Last night I was really enjoying TOOL, Mars Volta and A Perfect Circle, so much that I fell asleep with X1`s on my head and woke up several hours later. Those cans are soooo comfy! ;P

I concur man.

I just picked up the 6922 for my T1 too. My goodness, Nightwish's Imaginaerum album just became so alive I'm having tears.
Remember a couple weeks ago I told you that there were distortion with the stock tubes? Pretty sure at this point it is the tubes causing the distortion and not the mastering of the tracks.

Go give it a listen. 
basshead.gif

Apr 17, 2014 at 1:32 PM Post #4,294 of 5,962

I concur man.

I just picked up the 6922 for my T1 too. My goodness, Nightwish's Imaginaerum album just became so alive I'm having tears.
Remember a couple weeks ago I told you that there were distortion with the stock tubes? Pretty sure at this point it is the tubes causing the distortion and not the mastering of the tracks.

Go give it a listen. 
basshead.gif

^^^^^ How I feel about that album through my Q's.

Arabesque....

Apr 17, 2014 at 4:24 PM Post #4,296 of 5,962
just for clarification... Aune T1 is not tube amp, it`s solid state DAC with tube buffer :wink:

I concur man.

Go give it a listen. 
basshead.gif

Did You pick up the same JAN Sylvania 6922 ?

Apr 17, 2014 at 9:57 PM Post #4,297 of 5,962
Just received my X1s yesterday. The first thing I did was check the resistance of the stock cable. I have the V-Moda cable from my M100s to use as a reference. Rather than blindly follow what Tyll said, I decided to measure the cable resistance using my trusty DMM myself. Here's what I found:

Stock Cable:
ground to ground  - 0.8 ohms
ground to terminal 1 loop - 1.5 ohms
ground to terminal 2 loop - 1.7 ohms
ground - terminal 1 through left driver - 33.5 ohms
ground - terminal 2 through right driver - 34 ohms

V-Moda cable
ground to ground  - 0.6 ohms
ground to terminal 1 loop - 1.4 ohms
ground to terminal 2 loop - 1.8 ohms
ground - terminal 1 through left driver - 33 ohms
ground - terminal 2 through right driver - 34.5 ohms

From my findings, clearly, there is little to no difference between the resistance of the stock cable and the cable from V-Moda. I'm not sure if Tyll got an early production unit of the X1s or if I'm just lucky or if Philips has changed the cables on recent models. As for sonic differences, there are none, both through my ODAC+O2 combo and through my ODAC+WA3 combo.

I would suggest you carry out your own tests on the cables and see what you find. Just remember to subtract the lead resistance from your readings. For example, while measuring the ground to ground resistance, I got a reading of 1.8 ohm. The resistance of the leads is 1 ohm in series with 0.8 ohms of the cable. So the actual resistance of just the cable is 1.8 - 1 = 0.8 ohms.

Hope this helps.

Apr 18, 2014 at 12:11 AM Post #4,298 of 5,962
Thanks for the measurements. I like using the stock X1 cable. There's been too much hysteria about replacing the stock cable.

Apr 18, 2014 at 12:51 AM Post #4,299 of 5,962
  Just received my X1s yesterday. The first thing I did was check the resistance of the stock cable. I have the V-Moda cable from my M100s to use as a reference. Rather than blindly follow what Tyll said, I decided to measure the cable resistance using my trusty DMM myself. Here's what I found:

Stock Cable:
ground to ground  - 0.8 ohms
ground to terminal 1 loop - 1.5 ohms
ground to terminal 2 loop - 1.7 ohms
ground - terminal 1 through left driver - 33.5 ohms
ground - terminal 2 through right driver - 34 ohms

V-Moda cable
ground to ground  - 0.6 ohms
ground to terminal 1 loop - 1.4 ohms
ground to terminal 2 loop - 1.8 ohms
ground - terminal 1 through left driver - 33 ohms
ground - terminal 2 through right driver - 34.5 ohms

From my findings, clearly, there is little to no difference between the resistance of the stock cable and the cable from V-Moda. I'm not sure if Tyll got an early production unit of the X1s or if I'm just lucky or if Philips has changed the cables on recent models. As for sonic differences, there are none, both through my ODAC+O2 combo and through my ODAC+WA3 combo.

I would suggest you carry out your own tests on the cables and see what you find. Just remember to subtract the lead resistance from your readings. For example, while measuring the ground to ground resistance, I got a reading of 1.8 ohm. The resistance of the leads is 1 ohm in series with 0.8 ohms of the cable. So the actual resistance of just the cable is 1.8 - 1 = 0.8 ohms.

Hope this helps.

Thank you for doing these tests and debunking some myths about stock cables. I am also keen to do similar test after buying a digital multmeter. Could you do a short video on how to carry out these test, readings? It will be very helpful to people like me who have never used a multimeter before. 

Apr 18, 2014 at 3:16 AM Post #4,301 of 5,962
Thanks for the information about Your cable measurements... but... call me crazy or whatever... I hear clear difference between stock and my custom cable. Just my 2cents.

Apr 18, 2014 at 3:40 AM Post #4,302 of 5,962
It could be that there are differences in cables from different batches. I doubt that Philips would have such poor quality control though, or maybe I'm just lucky to have got one that is of a relatively low resistance.
The only reason I posted this was to make people realize that there is a possibility that their cable could be different from others. Just make sure that when carrying out measurements, the equipment you use to make the measurements are of good quality. Since the resistance of cables are in the region of a few ohms, most cheap multimeters will show readings higher than the actual value. In that case, use the same multimeter to measure the resistance of the stock cable with that of a reference (good) cable. For example, if the resistance of the stock cable shows something like 3.5ohms and the reference cable shows 3.4ohms, then they are approximately the same, even though their actual resistance without error might be lower. I'm lucky to have access to Keithley 2010 DMM. Commercial multimeters are far less accurate.
As i already mentioned, rather than checking the resistance of just the stock cable, compare it with another cable that you like and see if there is a difference.

Apr 18, 2014 at 4:16 AM Post #4,303 of 5,962
I did compare stock cable head-to-head with new custom made (same length) and difference was pretty big, though, my multimeter is some cheap one but it still shows difference between cables, even if it`s zero-point isn`t accurate.

Apr 18, 2014 at 5:59 AM Post #4,305 of 5,962
Bought it from forum member conquerator2 but I have documents and purchase date is 05-12-2013 and according to Philips webpage it`s manufactured in 2012
(it actually says presented in 2012).

I took out X1 box again and measured stock cable again:

ground to terminal 1 through left driver - 34.6
ground to terminal 2 through right driver - 35.3
ground to ground = 2.3
terminal 1 to terminal 1 (right channel) = 2.4
terminal 2 to terminal 2 (left channel) = 2.3

I changed it to self-made Van Damme Pro Grade Classic XKE Pro-Patch cable (smaller OD), terminated with Neutrik Rean gold 3.5mm and Neutrik 6.35mm jacks.

ground to terminal 1 through left driver - 31.6
ground to terminal 2 through right driver - 32.2
ground to ground = 0.8
terminal 1 to terminal 1 (right channel) = 0.9
terminal 2 to terminal 2 (left channel) = 0.9

Difference between cables:

ground to terminal 1 through left driver = 3 
ground to terminal 2 through right driver = 3.1
ground to ground = 1.5
terminal 1 to terminal 1 (right channel) = 1.5
terminal 2 to terminal 2 (left channel) = 1.4

I`m trusting my ears :wink: