[New] Philips Fidelio X1
Apr 18, 2014 at 6:17 AM Post #4,306 of 5,962
Maybe that's why some people report hearing differences while others don't. I don't know the exact manufacturing date of my headphones either but I bought I last week and it arrived yesterday. Someone who recently purchased the headphones should send in their measurements. Maybe there actually a difference in newer batches.

Apr 18, 2014 at 9:14 AM Post #4,307 of 5,962
  Btw, did a little quick tube roll on my Aune T1 and I find JAN Sylvania 6922 green label to be pretty good tube for rock/metal/progressive. For example, I like this tube more with those genres than my beloved Ultron SQ PCC189 (which is very similar to Amperex 6DJ8 GAC) paired with my heavily modded HD-681. It`s actually little weird because with HD-681 I like this JAN Sylvania 6922 with vocal filled EDM/electronic atmospheric music due to little emphasis on mids and fowardness of vocals while retaining large soundstage. Since X1`s are not so analytical cans, it`s actually harder to make difference between tubes but I can confirm that it still makes noticeable difference. I still have to roll ~65 tubes with X1 but I hope it`s already somewhat useful info for those who think X1 not performing well with rock/progressive/metal - lot depends on gear used to feed it. And noting once more - I`m using +10dB gain since I find it to firm up bass and make things clearer/punchier + also custom lower impedance cable that also makes sound little tighter and clearer (it`s not placebo).

Rush & AC/DC sounds great with X1 too but much depends on source/amplification/cable upgrade. Like I already shared, with Aune T1 and JAN Sylvania 6922 (82219 EAD 7002, US, green label) rock/metal/progressive are very enjoyable imho. At first I was also littlebit disappointed with those genres but luckily right tube fixed it :wink: Last night I was really enjoying TOOL, Mars Volta and A Perfect Circle, so much that I fell asleep with X1`s on my head and woke up several hours later. Those cans are soooo comfy! ;P

I concur man.

I just picked up the 6922 for my T1 too. My goodness, Nightwish's Imaginaerum album just became so alive I'm having tears.

Go give it a listen. 
basshead.gif

Little addition to my impressions from other thread:
Quote:
X1 has tremendous -shaped soundstage with deep foward depth and that`s what is "causing problems" with rock/metal/progressive genres (not with everything) - it sounds too distant and listener is too separated from music. I still have about 60 tubes to roll and atm I`m using JAN Sylvania 6922 (82219 EAD 7002, US, green label) tube which brings vocals closer and bumps littlebit mids (imho X1 mids are not recessed, just neutral and distant), also instruments (guitars) are more pulled "back" to your head sides (creating more back-depth) and separation/transparency also becomes better. All that sums up as mix-up between intimate inside-head and large hall-like soundstage - a really enjoyable result.

Found another good matching tube for Aune T1 + X1 + rock/metal/progressive - Valvo PCC88 (DJI D0I). Not sure which one to prefer but will do proper comparing after I have selected some good matching tubes out of my collection.

Apr 18, 2014 at 10:06 AM Post #4,309 of 5,962
  Hi, I am really interested in this headset but I am worried about the fit. I have a large wide head, measuring about 46.5-47cm ear lobe to ear lobe. Will this fit me?

I just checked - I have about 45.5 cms and the headphone fits nicely. I doubt that the extra cm would make much of a difference, I can certainly pull them down more than that. I would assume the fit should still be reasonably comfortable.

Apr 18, 2014 at 7:20 PM Post #4,310 of 5,962
I thought I would share my setting with the e17 as I've been tinkering around with them a lot and found these to be the best for myself.  Maybe this will encourage others to share their settings as well.  Even those these work well for me they might not work for you depending on the type of music you listen to and how much bass you want.

Fiio e17 acting as both AMP and DAC.

MAX VOL 60
SYSTEM FW
Treble +6
Bass +8
Gain 6

Music of choice, Hip Hop and Rap.  I would love to hear others thoughts on these settings.

Apr 19, 2014 at 6:55 AM Post #4,311 of 5,962
  just for clarification... Aune T1 is not tube amp, it`s solid state DAC with tube buffer :wink:

Did You pick up the same JAN Sylvania 6922 ?

Yup!
Though I personally didn't like it for much else though, pop especially.

I thought I would share my setting with the e17 as I've been tinkering around with them a lot and found these to be the best for myself.  Maybe this will encourage others to share their settings as well.  Even those these work well for me they might not work for you depending on the type of music you listen to and how much bass you want.

Fiio e17 acting as both AMP and DAC.

MAX VOL 60
SYSTEM FW
Treble +6
Bass +8
Gain 6

Music of choice, Hip Hop and Rap.  I would love to hear others thoughts on these settings.

I've always believed that the proper way to EQ is to always EQ DOWN and not up. EQ'ing up is basically adding something that isn't there, artificial sounding.
If you EQ down, you're just subtracting something away and adding it to someplace else, thus moving the frequency line.

This of course applies to simple software EQ only though, it's a whole different ball game on a dedicated hardware equalizer.

But hey, whatever sounds good to you then that's the way it should be. Your ears, your fun. :)

Apr 19, 2014 at 12:38 PM Post #4,312 of 5,962
  Just received my X1s yesterday. The first thing I did was check the resistance of the stock cable. I have the V-Moda cable from my M100s to use as a reference. Rather than blindly follow what Tyll said, I decided to measure the cable resistance using my trusty DMM myself. Here's what I found:

Stock Cable:
ground to ground  - 0.8 ohms
ground to terminal 1 loop - 1.5 ohms
ground to terminal 2 loop - 1.7 ohms
ground - terminal 1 through left driver - 33.5 ohms
ground - terminal 2 through right driver - 34 ohms

V-Moda cable
ground to ground  - 0.6 ohms
ground to terminal 1 loop - 1.4 ohms
ground to terminal 2 loop - 1.8 ohms
ground - terminal 1 through left driver - 33 ohms
ground - terminal 2 through right driver - 34.5 ohms

From my findings, clearly, there is little to no difference between the resistance of the stock cable and the cable from V-Moda. I'm not sure if Tyll got an early production unit of the X1s or if I'm just lucky or if Philips has changed the cables on recent models. As for sonic differences, there are none, both through my ODAC+O2 combo and through my ODAC+WA3 combo.

I would suggest you carry out your own tests on the cables and see what you find. Just remember to subtract the lead resistance from your readings. For example, while measuring the ground to ground resistance, I got a reading of 1.8 ohm. The resistance of the leads is 1 ohm in series with 0.8 ohms of the cable. So the actual resistance of just the cable is 1.8 - 1 = 0.8 ohms.

Hope this helps.

Bought it from forum member conquerator2 but I have documents and purchase date is 05-12-2013 and according to Philips webpage it`s manufactured in 2012 
(it actually says presented in 2012).

I took out X1 box again and measured stock cable again:

ground to terminal 1 through left driver - 35.1
ground to terminal 2 through right driver - 35.8
ground to ground = 2.4
terminal 1 to terminal 1 (right channel) = 2.4
terminal 2 to terminal 2 (left channel) = 2.5

I changed it to self-made Van Damme Pro Grade Classic XKE Pro-Patch cable (smaller OD), terminated with Neutrik Rean gold 3.5mm and Neutrik 6.35mm jacks.

ground to terminal 1 through left driver - 31.9
ground to terminal 2 through right driver - 32.5
ground to ground = 0.8
terminal 1 to terminal 1 (right channel) = 0.9
terminal 2 to terminal 2 (left channel) = 1.0

Difference between cables:

ground to terminal 1 through left driver = 3.2 
ground to terminal 2 through right driver = 3.3
ground to ground = 1.6
terminal 1 to terminal 1 (right channel) = 1.5
terminal 2 to terminal 2 (left channel) = 1.5

I`m trusting my ears :wink:

Maybe that's why some people report hearing differences while others don't. I don't know the exact manufacturing date of my headphones either but I bought I last week and it arrived yesterday. Someone who recently purchased the headphones should send in their measurements. Maybe there actually a difference in newer batches.

Hi,
Mine measures 2.8 ohms, L, R and GND.

I`ve been asked how to measure cable impedance. Here is quick pictorial guide how to:

As been seen, You should hold multimeter pins strongly without moving against terminals. Before I just held them with fingers and now measurements (on pics) are little lower. I will leave comparing numbers against stock cable same because I don`t really bother to get that box and stock cable out again. Difference between cables is same, just lower numbers (about -0.3) on each cable. But if someone doubts about my stock cable results, then I will do it if wanted.

Apr 19, 2014 at 1:03 PM Post #4,313 of 5,962
Thank you for the pics. Very helpful for people like me as I am planning to buy a multimeter for carrying out similar tests.

Is the following MM okay for such tests?

http://www.ebay.in/itm/Digital-Multimeter-DT-830D-For-Your-Day-to-Day-Needs-1-8-LCD-Quality-Sealed-/281309407769?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_203&hash=item417f58ea19&_uhb=1 

Apr 19, 2014 at 1:08 PM Post #4,314 of 5,962
Yes, this multimeter You linked is ok for simple tests and measurements that don`t need zero-tolerance accuracy. Get the cheapest one if You are buying something like that. It`s basically same that I have. Those cheap ones aren`t accurate enough for more serious electrical tinkering and stuff.

Apr 19, 2014 at 1:15 PM Post #4,315 of 5,962
Thanks CoiL. Will buy it soon and test X1 cable.

Do the different ohm ratings between stock and your reference cable make a lot of difference in terms of sound quality? If yes, in what manner?

Kindly enlighten us with your experience. 

Apr 19, 2014 at 1:35 PM Post #4,316 of 5,962
For analytical listener like me, it makes noticeable difference. With stock cable sound was littlebit "muddy" and warmer, bass looser. With new cable sound became clearer, separation/imaging better, bass tighter. But this is little over-emphasized impression and applies only to my system, so take it with grain of salt. 

Apr 19, 2014 at 1:56 PM Post #4,320 of 5,962
  For analytical listener like me, it makes noticeable difference. With stock cable sound was littlebit "muddy" and warmer, bass looser. With new cable sound became clearer, separation/imaging better, bass tighter. But this is little over-emphasized impression and applies only to my system, so take it with grain of salt. 

Thank you SO MUCH for the pictures!
That's something I always wanted to know! Now I know that my K612s are matched to within 0.5 ohms [roughly 118 ohms both]
You've been much help man! 
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back