[New] Philips Fidelio X1
Apr 12, 2014 at 4:40 PM Post #4,262 of 5,962
There's zero news about an X2 or a X1v2, or whatever it'll be called.

The rumors you heard about is just some wishful thinking. Philips nor Funai never said anything about a successor to the X1.

Apr 12, 2014 at 6:58 PM Post #4,263 of 5,962
  Which of the following amps is more suitable for X1, keeping ohm factor in mind:

Asus Essence One.
Objective 2.

I would think the Objective 2 would be your best bet with the X1. It ought to tighten up the bass (being a very neutral amp) which can get a little sloppy or bloated  (although most people would be blithely unaware of this characteristic). There really isn't any point in getting something so expensive as an Asus Essence One, bar for 'it looking good on your desk'.

Go for the O2 seriously. Don't waste your cash on the Asus. It may be better in on paper, but maybe only by a few degrees. The O2 however is seriously good for the money.

And don't place too much store in Ohm ratings - unless you're a superdork with amazing ears, you won't miss much of anything. The thing to actually worry about is how much amplification is required to make your particular set of headphones sing, which, in the X1's case, is minimal (ish).

Apr 12, 2014 at 9:43 PM Post #4,265 of 5,962
As an X1 user myself, I am Intrigued by some discussion that the Phillips L2 sound better than the X1's? Hmmmmmm.....

Apr 12, 2014 at 10:35 PM Post #4,266 of 5,962
  As an X1 user myself, I am Intrigued by some discussion that the Phillips L2 sound better than the X1's? Hmmmmmm.....

I own an X1, running through an Aune T1 hooked on an ASUS 573SW. I find that although there are many virtues to the X1, and particularly a true uniqueness to its profile, it is also a very colored and uneven can.

The bass extension and presence is quite amazing, as is the instrument separation and soundstage. At that price point, equally wide cans have a palpable lack in the bass (598s) or slight accentuation at the top which roughen things up (DT880s/990s). The bass-forwardness along the relatively smooth roll-of at the top makes for an odd sound, somewhere between a bright basshead can and a warm one. Best of both worlds? Not necessarily. The imagining I have found to be less articulate than others (Hd600s/650s; he-400s), partly because the midrange resolution is inferior compared to other cans in the price-range. The HD600s/650s are just more detailed and resolving to my ears in the midrange, making the experience more musical and contentful as oppposed to simply immersive, engaging and bumpy. The roll-off in the high end of the Fidelio's saves it from being a spiky mess, but it still sounds imbalanced to me with the boominess of the lower end coupled to the thinness in the midrange. The mids are not recessed as much as, well, a bit dull, with decent resolution. 

It's fun, but largely cosmetic rather than musical. I find the midrange of the X1 still improvable in a can of that profile, though Phillips said they were rather happy with everything except the treble of the can.

It is clear the L2s will probably be less airy, with a smaller soundstage, and so the mids will not be as overrun by the obvious bass. It also seems the bass might (predictably) be tighter, but also less boomy. I would welcome this; I prefer compactness and depth rather than wide extension and  boominess. Though the X1s really do very well there; it's just a bit too forward. The essential question for me is whether the midrange resolution will be improved on. That really is what I feel would make them a better can than the X1s.  but if you love the immersive feel of the X1s I doubt the L2s will be able to match them.

Apr 12, 2014 at 11:29 PM Post #4,267 of 5,962
Agreed! HD650 is indeed more refined and resolute in my ears. And yes I do notice the treble spike in some songs but yes in the end decided to keep both the hd650 and the X1's. They are just different enough to warrant an extended audition! So do you own the L2'S as well?

Apr 13, 2014 at 1:22 AM Post #4,269 of 5,962
Oh, maybe I wasn't clear! I haven't noticed a treble spike on the Fidelios; I think the high end is actually rolled off slightly, but the airiness and thinness makes it seem a bit, well, sharp rather than bright. Which is weird, because the roll-off and smooth bass decay makes it seem slightly warm. It's a weird ass can, that's for sure.

I do not own the L2s, so I was going from reading about it. But yes, the HD650 is really the more detailed, balanced, and natural sounding can of the two. The HD600s are even more natural sounding, being more neutral still than the 650s. When I listen to the Fidelios after the 600s I feel like going from watching Tarkovsky to watching Tarantino.

I love neutral balance: I also own the re-400s for IEMs and really dig them.

Apr 13, 2014 at 1:43 AM Post #4,270 of 5,962
How can I clean the pads? I bought mine mint but slightly used and I think the previous owner had a pet or something because I'm getting a mild allergic reaction whenever I put em on. Any ideas?

Apr 13, 2014 at 4:41 AM Post #4,271 of 5,962

And don't place too much store in Ohm ratings - unless you're a superdork with amazing ears, you won't miss much of anything. The thing to actually worry about is how much amplification is required to make your particular set of headphones sing, which, in the X1's case, is minimal (ish).

Thank you for your advise.

Apr 13, 2014 at 8:18 PM Post #4,272 of 5,962
After 3 weeks of listening an X1 I've come to conclusion that despite on its "fun" signature I'm NOT entirely in love with these cans. These are good with certain albums (i'm all over with my music tastes), mostly with electronic music (ambient dub, minimal techno, etc.) and some instrumental. However, I find them being very weak with rock music in particular. This has nothing to do with being too bassy, these just simply too warm for some music. I often find them too muddy with poor instruments separation. I guess if you stick with a specific music genre then it would be okay. Don't get me wrong - I'm keeping them in my headphones collection, the X1 definitely has its spot there but once the "WOW" factor has gone it is clear to me that all the hype around the X1 is somewhat strange. I've tried different cables, different DACs, amps and DAPs. Still, I feel like the X1 is so popular because Tyll said so. I also have a HE-400 and Hifiman is a clear winner to me in every possible way. Although, I would still recommend the X1 for general use, just don't expect an "audiophile" sound. My 2 cents.

Apr 14, 2014 at 4:47 PM Post #4,273 of 5,962

I find the X1 fairly good enough with the Mixamp alone. Wouldn't suggest the E09k on its own though, as the X1 are somewhat sensitive headphones. That 10ohm output impedance on the E09 will muddy the bass on the X1, something that you will not want considering it is on the edge of being a little too boomy already.

I'd suggest an E12 or E17, whichever you can get for under $100 if you need the amp. I honestly prefer the E12 off the X1, as the E17 is a touch too warm for the already warm-sounding X1. You would need to actually EQ the bass to -2 on the E17 to keep the mids from being too recessed.

The reviews on headfonia say the fiio e09k plays very nice with the x1 ?

Apr 15, 2014 at 3:32 AM Post #4,274 of 5,962
To each its own.
I have an E17/E09k stack, but to me the E09k on its own amping the X1 does indeed muddy the bass and recess the mids further.

My trick is simple even if it's just an illusion; EQ the E17 to -2 bass, use as low as a cable resistance for the X1. This way, the bass is still tight enough for my liking and most importantly, the mids aren't recessed.
Why -2 bass on the E17? Shouldn't I be ADDING bass instead? No. Because the E17 adds most of its bass on the 20hz and 50hz region, by lowering it to -2, it tights up the 100hz region and bring forward the mids.

The EQ counters the high output impedance and to me personally, this sounds nice enough. It's not technically correct to do this but hey at the end of the day, if it sounds good then so what, right?

The only reason I'm also doing this is because I already have an E09k long before I had an E17 or E12.
Which is why for those looking at a FiiO amp, I'd suggest to just go directly for an E12 instead (or E17 if you need the DAC). Me personally, I'm just making use of my E09k.

Apr 15, 2014 at 7:46 AM Post #4,275 of 5,962
I have the E17/E09k stack as well, but have not tested my X1 with it because the X1 works well with the C&C BH2. However, I do use the DT 770 80 for my E17/E09k. When using the lo-bypass on the E17, while docked to the E09k, I turn the bass down -6 and the treble down -2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back