New pads for Koss pro dj100??
Jun 1, 2012 at 10:45 AM Post #16 of 31
Has anyone tried removing one layer of the fabric screen on the M50 pads?  I love them on the DJ100s - which are giving my HD650s and Grado 325s a run for their money, but that is a story for another day.  But I am feeling like the M50 pads may be reducing the treble sparkle a little on the DJ100s.  

Any thoughts, TDock?

Jun 1, 2012 at 11:10 AM Post #17 of 31
I currently use the SRH940 pads with my Tony Bennets and honestly I don't think It takes away from the bass.

Jun 1, 2012 at 11:36 AM Post #18 of 31
Srh940 pads!! Hmm I own a pair of those.... :) I will try them before buying the M50 pads thanks for mentioning them :)

Jun 1, 2012 at 12:33 PM Post #19 of 31
Quote:
Has anyone tried removing one layer of the fabric screen on the M50 pads?  I love them on the DJ100s - which are giving my HD650s and Grado 325s a run for their money, but that is a story for another day.  But I am feeling like the M50 pads may be reducing the treble sparkle a little on the DJ100s.  

Any thoughts, TDock?

I've tried removing the foam on the M50 pads long ago and it's really a mistake to do for the DJ100. It makes the DJ100 too harsh and fatiguing. Way too much treble and mids too forward. Removing the foam for the pads when used on the M50 is actually nice. It seems to reduce the bass and bring forward the mids a little.

I actually felt the M50 pads actually gave my DJ100 an impression of a little more treble. The soundstage is also improved a lot.

My DJ100 competes very well with many of my other $200+ headphones. Last night I was using my DJ100 with a JVC CD player to my Headroom Micro Amp. I was listening to my Q701, Sextett, HD-580 and HD-598 with the Mishima soundtrack (Philip Glass) and actually felt the DJ100 sounded the best. There's some drums on one song that barely there on the Sextett and Q701. With the absolutely perfect setup, you can get the DJ100 to actually fool your brain into thinking you're listening to an open headphone. It's hard to get this kind of result with portable devices and sources. HRT MSII DAC and my new CD player can do it. I think I like this JVC full sized CD player more than my HRT!

BTW for those that don't believe in cables, feel free to ignore this, but it seems my TB benefits more from a nice DIY cable than my Q701 does. I'm using mine with ALO SXC (silver plated copper) and it's pretty good. I actually destroyed my Q701's cable to use it on my TB
biggrin.gif
Basically the biggest different is that it sounds even more clear.

If you want a fun project try using a $2 Monoprice Cat 5/6 cable to make a TB cable. You would need to remove it from it's plastic covering and sleeve it. Cat6 sounds better than some of this fancy pants $5/foot wire. I guess Cat 6 is the same as Cat 5 except that it has some more shielding inside or something?
Quote:
I currently use the SRH940 pads with my Tony Bennets and honestly I don't think It takes away from the bass.

I know this may be annoying to hear, but you should triple check this just to be absolutely sure. Maybe do an A/B comparison. I bought some SRH-1840 pads for the DJ100 and they made the bass go out the window. I mean it just wasn't there. I'm about 95% sure the SR-1840 pads are the same as the SRH-940 pads. Can anyone confirm this? Same price and everything. I spent like an hour trying to mod the pads and got nowhere. The reason is that if you get too much air between your ears and the driver, the bass is reduced. You can actually turn the DJ100 driver into a bass MONSTER. I'm talking so excessive that it ruins the sound. It can be done by reshelling it with the XB500 enclosure. Don't do that!

I think the M50 pads work better because they are oval and they give you a little more room for your ears, but not too much. If say the M50 pads were completely round and had the same thickness, the sound would not be a good. I know this is hard to believe! I don't know for sure though. I believe Pro700 MKII pads fit. Those are round, but supposedly do sound good.

Did you see the latest Cnet review of the DJ100? Makes me annoyed. This lack of bass thing is crazy. I would say the DJ100 even has slightly elevated bass from neutral. VERY slightly. I mean, it has more bass than my Sextett, HD-580/600, KRKs, Q701 and HD-598. If you remove the foam from the M50 pads for use with the M50, the DJ100 has maybe 5% less bass. This is the white boxed version of course. Of course these days weirdos probably complain the M50 is now bass light!
biggrin.gif

BTW for anyone that wants something else interesting to try. Try the DJ100 with a full sized CD player directly to your amp. I'm really surprised that some CD players sound better than my DAC. This JVC is better than my Oppo CD player and this so called "audiophile" PS1. Possibly the most detailed CD player i've ever heard. Ok, I haven't heard any $500+ CD player, but I don't want to know how good expensive stuff sounds.

Last night while listening to all my movie soundtracks I was thinking to myself..there's no way this is some $75 headphone. It seems the DJ100/TB even after 2 years always seems to Wow me with something. Most say a headphone shouldn't do that, but I don't mind
normal_smile%20.gif

I always use this excuse that my Q701, HD-580, K601 and HD-580 are technically better, but now I think that's a bunch of garbage. It's interesting that my DJ100 with ALO SXC sounds clearer than all my other headphones with the perfect setup (not portables). Someday I want to hear more reviews of the DJ100 with really high end stuff. It'd be interesting to hear more about what the DJ100 is capable of. I'm pretty convinced my TB sound is as good as it's going to get, but maybe not.

Sorry..went overboard on this post. Just been loving the DJ100/TB lately. Been staying up all night until 3am listening to them along with the Sextett. Both sound quite similar, but I think DJ100 is much better. I said the Sextett is like a DJ100 on steroids, but it's actually the other way around
biggrin.gif

Jun 1, 2012 at 12:38 PM Post #20 of 31
Quote:
The m50 pads were a great improvement but they still get a bit uncomfortable sweaty for me. I really enjoy the sound so  I ordered a pair of of DT250 pads just for giggles. Its getting hot in here and I'm hoping they heop out a bit. If not I always have a pair. I have the ATHM30's (which I like to relax with laid back tunes) and they might be a good fit,Oddly enough they don't bother me but I did stretch out the bands a bit on a few books. The TBSE are going to be traded in or returned tho. I ran into some problem with them. I'm hoping they can be replaced by the Amazon seller but he doesn't seem to be offering them and they have gone up about 15 bucks while the DJ100 have gone down a bit. I'll have to see what happens when he replies to my email after the holiday

BTW if you can't return the TB, Koss will send a replacement. You just have to pay $6 I think to handle shipping. Don't know the rules.

M30 pads are actually better than the V6 pads. They have a lot more of those little "lines" on the pads and keep my ears cooler. Unfortunately if you order M30 replacement pads online they're not the same! M30 pads also don't have any foam backing I think (the original pads).

Pearstone Velour pads fit but they're scratchy and get hot in the summer. They're the ones for the V6.

I didn't like the DT-250 pads at all, but some may. I can explain why if anyone is interested, but I'll wait for your impressions of them.

Jun 1, 2012 at 12:51 PM Post #21 of 31
I have all 3 SRH models and each has their own pad, they all are similar but slightly different. So long as I won't hurt the pads testing them out I will try all 3 and see what happens. But it will be a week before my ProDJ100 arrive so will be a while.

Jun 1, 2012 at 12:55 PM Post #22 of 31
Quote:
I have all 3 SRH models and each has their own pad, they all are similar but slightly different. So long as I won't hurt the pads testing them out I will try all 3 and see what happens. But it will be a week before my ProDJ100 arrive so will be a while.

I could have sworn all 3 pads were identical, but I guess not! Even in pictures they look the same.
I guess it now makes sense that the SRH-940 might have not killed the bass for another posted.

The SRH-1840 pad is meant for an open headphone, so that's probably why it killed the bass for me.

I REALLY hope the SRH-940 pads work for the M50. I love the 1840 velour pads, but they're almost too big for the DJ100.

Maybe you can do an SRH-940 vs Dj100 review
biggrin.gif

Jun 1, 2012 at 1:25 PM Post #23 of 31
I don't get the no bass complaint about the DJ100s either.  Plenty of tight and punchy bass in my pair.  I listen to a lot of jazz and the double bass sounds great on the DJ100s.  I also much prefer them over the M50s, which I find fatiguing and dry in the treble for some reason.

So far I have tried them with with an RSA Mustang (good but not great synergy, imo), a WA6 (very nice, gives them a liquid sound) and a Gilmore Lite (also very nice, but more detailed).

I'd be loving these phones even if I had paid 3x for them.

Jun 1, 2012 at 1:27 PM Post #24 of 31
I will give you the 10 second review...

Bass/mid head = PRODJ100
Mid/treble head = SRH-940
Comfort pro wins in the headband SRH wins in the cups and pads.
Both have excellent positioning but SRH has the larger sound stage.
SRH less muddy but within 30 seconds to a minute when using the PRO I stop noticing this area as the PRO's good qualities come to the forefront.

I think they complement each other well as their signatures are different enough to make music enjoyable in different ways and neither really does anything BAD reducing my listening pleasure.

OK that was more than 10 seconds... LOL

Jun 24, 2012 at 1:31 PM Post #26 of 31
Quote:
BTW if you can't return the TB, Koss will send a replacement. You just have to pay $6 I think to handle shipping. Don't know the rules.

M30 pads are actually better than the V6 pads. They have a lot more of those little "lines" on the pads and keep my ears cooler. Unfortunately if you order M30 replacement pads online they're not the same! M30 pads also don't have any foam backing I think (the original pads).

Pearstone Velour pads fit but they're scratchy and get hot in the summer. They're the ones for the V6.

I didn't like the DT-250 pads at all, but some may. I can explain why if anyone is interested, but I'll wait for your impressions of them.

I've lost my TBSE, although I got these through Amazon it was a private seller . I just wanted a replacement but they didn't have them in stock. It would have been wider for me to follow your advice. in the meantime I have picked up a pair of M50's I think I gotta burn them in cause they sound to bassy right now different sound then the AT-30. I'll prolly hunt down a pair of DJ100 since I'm all set up for them now.

Oct 31, 2012 at 1:58 AM Post #28 of 31
Hey, interested in knowing why you did not like the DT-250 pads for the PRODJ100? How was the fit? On an unrelated post, an ATH-M50 owner replaced stock pads with DT-250 pads and he mentions that the backing foam was thicker. Perhaps you felt this reduced the highs too much. Unlike you, I feel that with the M50 pads on the PRODJ100 the highs are a little too much for me. Anyway, be interested to know about the DT-250 pads. Thanks.

Mar 14, 2013 at 4:08 PM Post #29 of 31
Quote:
They're better than stock, but seem to reduce the treble a tad. I prefer the M30 pads because they don't have the foam backing.
You do NEED the foam backing on the M50 pads though, but not the M30 pads.

Hi I bought the TB roughly a month or two ago and i really enjoyed them (but i recently acquired a pair of klipsch x10's so a lot of my listening has been dominated by those :X )
I was recently got back on head-fi cause my roommate picked up a pair of pioneer hdj-1500 and I've been comparing them and they dont sound significantly better (if at all). But thats an aside. When you say you NEED the foam what does that mean? I've never modded but from what i've seen around head-fi, m50 pads seem the be the choice. 
Thanks!

Mar 14, 2013 at 8:37 PM Post #30 of 31
Srh940 pads!! Hmm I own a pair of those.... :) I will try them before buying the M50 pads thanks for mentioning them :)

Hi, how do you compare the 940 to the dj100?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back