New music player or a new Portable amp?
Aug 18, 2012 at 9:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

wolfetan44

Headphoneus Supremus
What would be the best idea? I already have a 64GB iPod touch. So would it be worth it to get a new music player or just get a portable amp for it? Budget is $275 because that's what I would probably get for it.

Aug 18, 2012 at 11:00 PM Post #2 of 6
Personally for me moving on from an ipod touch to Cowon player's was the best investment I could of possibly done for this hobby and often highly over looked in place of purchasing "more headphones" by most.

When you listen to an ipod it just sounds like music, it may be decent quality, but it's still just 'music' all smeared together. When you move onto Cowon players or other audiophile focused players all the instruments separate, you can hear everything individually own it's own within a track, all passages become highly detailed doing their own thing to make the song complete making tracks an absolute joy to listen too. Cowon players are also known for fabulous bass reproduction with Mach3bass, not just 'loud' bass, solid, firm, layered detailed bass. I'll be honest, your ipod touch bass is very average, it's an average music player as is it's tone, detailing and clarity.

You can't have good music without a good source. ipod / touches do not fall into that category imo.

Aug 18, 2012 at 11:02 PM Post #3 of 6
Quote:
Personally for me moving on from an ipod touch to Cowon player's was the best investment I could of possibly done for this hobby and often highly over looked in place of purchasing "more headphones" by most.
When you listen to an ipod it just sounds like music, it may be decent quality, but it's still just 'music' all smeared together. When you move onto Cowon players or other audiophile focused players all the instruments separate, you can hear everything individually own it's own within a track, all passages become highly detailed doing their own thing to make the song complete making tracks an absolute joy to listen too. Cowon players are also known for fabulous bass reproduction with Mach3bass not just 'loud' bass, solid, firm, detailed bass. I'll be honest your ipod touch bass is very average as is it is an average music player as is it's tone, and detailing.
You can't have good music without a good source. ipod / touches do not fall into that category imo.

So just getting a portable amp wouldnt help as much? And which player would you recommend?

Aug 18, 2012 at 11:13 PM Post #4 of 6
So just getting a portable amp wouldnt help as much? And which player would you recommend?

Not really, I think a player should come first. You'll only be amping the same signal and although there's improvements in soundstage and dynamics on some occasions I feel you need to move away from the touch to see any real improvments. Players to look at would be J3, D2+, C2, S9 (all Cowons) There's a good deal going on C2 at the moment ebay for around $105 (4GB) expandable by SD up to 32GB. 64GB SD cards will work if you first format the card to FAT32.

What you need to find is a good signal to amp first.

Also, with your touch I'm not sure if you know about the music apps such as "EQu" and "Equalizer" from the app store, they can help, and would be something I suggest to look into. But what you need is a high end player imo, get a taste of good sound.

Aug 19, 2012 at 12:20 AM Post #5 of 6
Quote:
Not really, I think a player should come first. You'll only be amping the same signal and although there's improvements in soundstage and dynamics on some occasions I feel you need to move away from the touch to see any real improvments. Players to look at would be J3, D2+, C2, S9 (all Cowons) There's a good deal going on C2 at the moment ebay for around $105 (4GB) expandable by SD up to 32GB. 64GB SD cards will work if you first format the card to FAT32.
What you need to find is a good signal to amp first.
Also, with your touch I'm not sure if you know about the music apps such as "EQu" and "Equalizer" from the app store, they can help, and would be something I suggest to look into. But what you need is a high end player imo, get a taste of good sound.

Ok thanks for the help! I will probably get a S9 as it looks the best to me. I first need to sell of my iPod though. I dont know how easy that will be as it has a cracked screen. How much should I price my 64GB iPod Touch 4th Gen. (new are $400). And the cracked part doesnt go onto the screen(where you see stuff) only one small part. How much $$ you think?

Aug 19, 2012 at 3:13 AM Post #6 of 6
Ok thanks for the help! I will probably get a S9 as it looks the best to me. I first need to sell of my iPod though. I dont know how easy that will be as it has a cracked screen. How much should I price my 64GB iPod Touch 4th Gen. (new are $400). And the cracked part doesnt go onto the screen(where you see stuff) only one small part. How much $$ you think?

Have a look on ebay, at the auctions, that should give you a fair idea what to expect. :smile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back