NEW! Monster DNA headphones
Nov 16, 2013 at 12:08 AM Post #166 of 212
I actually own these (yellow/orange ones).  They don't sound anything like Beats.  They actually sound better.  However, once you turn it up past 65%, they do start to distort a little bit (source being iPhone 5S) but this is without a portable headphone amp (which I am researching for btw).

If you have any questions, feel free to hit me up.  Once I get enough posts and privileges, I'll put up a brief review of them from my perspective.

My lineup now in order of favorites is:

ATH-M50S
Sennheiser PX 100-II
Klipsh S4
Monster DNA
SOL Republic V10
Dre Beats Studio (It was a x-mas gift, I swear)

Nov 20, 2013 at 1:01 AM Post #167 of 212
Anyone try the over ear versions of these that just came out recently yet?

Nov 25, 2013 at 10:56 PM Post #168 of 212
I have had these for a few months now and they are surprisingly good. I got them on sale at best buy and have never considered returning them. I have not had a lot of headphones, but these are one of my favorite pairs. They sound much better than my friends solo hd's, and while they do get distorted at higher volumes I still like them. I sometimes use my FiiO E05 amp with them, and it makes them sound even better!

Dec 9, 2013 at 4:25 PM Post #169 of 212
So since the DNA is a daisy chain headphone.......

What would happen if you connected one side to a music player and the other side to a 2nd music player and have both play music at the same time? :D

Dec 10, 2013 at 6:11 AM Post #170 of 212
Although I am always very impressed with bass,
For me, most music and enjoyment still comes from the mids and highs,
So I am assuming that a bassier can may affect the mids,
So can anyone please compare tbis "DNA" model with against an m80 on the mids highs soundstage and detail?
Sorry I haven't read whole thread in case this has been done already.

hey @Maxx134 !

I got mixed up:
I'm referring to the new DNA Pro phones below!!

I'll happily do that comparison when I get back to the Bay Area (been down here w/ my boy @warrenpchi for the LAOC Audio Society Gala - man it was boring, OOPS)!!

I just heard these courtesy of Warren and I will have a pair for review by the time I get home!

I was very impressed - and the shape bothered me too, but not in terms of looks - I dig the design, but would it be comfortable over my ear?
I was, and made a great seal with very little clamping force and the 3.5mm input means I can use a better quality cable on them like my Nordost
Heimdall iKable!

Initial impressions - Playing Donny Hathaway (off the Donny Hathaway Collection) - sounded very natural. Things decayed realistically, and the tonal quality was pleasant and engaging. Strings and piano on sounded great, transient was fast and they had plenty of air. More than I expected for the price!!!

Then I dropped some Burial and Alix Perez - bass music: And I was impressed again! They're not bass-heavy at all, maybe even a touch light, but, I'll know that for sure when I hook em up to my personal reference rig - as I had the Lehmann Audio Linear USB w/ me at this hotel for a review... So while I've come to know the amp well, its not a reference point for me. But the midrange was sweet, there was sparkle, and actually things were far more balanced than I expected. So they shut down my preconceptions the moment I turned them on.

I was never a fan of BeatsByDre (when it was Monster/Beats), though I once wrote about the SoloHD's for The Daily Swarm and said, while they weren't for me, they were EQ'd for their demographic (bass-heavy,
for peeps bumpin tunes with CRAZY dB levels in their whips, etc.) - obviously, because they sold like MAD! I think Noel Lee may have been out to prove he can still get a solid can built with this DNA.

I had my VMODA M-100s w/ me @Maxx134 !! I thought the M100s had greater bass punch and midrange forwardness - but the DNA nailed acoustic music with more finesse actually.
So I'm psyched to compare them to my VMODA M80s!!

Dec 10, 2013 at 8:00 PM Post #171 of 212
  hey @Maxx134 !

I got mixed up:
I'm referring to the new DNA Pro phones below!!

I'll happily do that comparison when I get back to the Bay Area (been down here w/ my boy @warrenpchi for the LAOC Audio Society Gala - man it was boring, OOPS)!!

I just heard these courtesy of Warren and I will have a pair for review by the time I get home!

I was very impressed - and the shape bothered me too, but not in terms of looks - I dig the design, but would it be comfortable over my ear?
I was, and made a great seal with very little clamping force and the 3.5mm input means I can use a better quality cable on them like my Nordost
Heimdall iKable!

Initial impressions - Playing Donny Hathaway (off the Donny Hathaway Collection) - sounded very natural. Things decayed realistically, and the tonal quality was pleasant and engaging. Strings and piano on sounded great, transient was fast and they had plenty of air. More than I expected for the price!!!

Then I dropped some Burial and Alix Perez - bass music: And I was impressed again! They're not bass-heavy at all, maybe even a touch light, but, I'll know that for sure when I hook em up to my personal reference rig - as I had the Lehmann Audio Linear USB w/ me at this hotel for a review... So while I've come to know the amp well, its not a reference point for me. But the midrange was sweet, there was sparkle, and actually things were far more balanced than I expected. So they shut down my preconceptions the moment I turned them on.

I was never a fan of BeatsByDre (when it was Monster/Beats), though I once wrote about the SoloHD's for The Daily Swarm and said, while they weren't for me, they were EQ'd for their demographic (bass-heavy,
for peeps bumpin tunes with CRAZY dB levels in their whips, etc.) - obviously, because they sold like MAD! I think Noel Lee may have been out to prove he can still get a solid can built with this DNA.

I had my VMODA M-100s w/ me @Maxx134 !! I thought the M100s had greater bass punch and midrange forwardness - but the DNA nailed acoustic music with more finesse actually.
So I'm psyched to compare them to my VMODA M80s!!

How's the build quality of the DNA Pro over ear versions? I'm not expecting it to be like VMODA's tanks but does it feel more sturdy than the on ear version?

Dec 11, 2013 at 1:25 PM Post #172 of 212
  How's the build quality of the DNA Pro over ear versions? I'm not expecting it to be like VMODA's tanks but does it feel more sturdy than the on ear version?

It does to me (feel sturdier than the on-ear).
It's very light, but has solid clamping force thats comfortable and seals well- without straining my ears.
It feels well-built. Though I would've liked it a bit heavier - I'm very impressed thus far!

Dec 11, 2013 at 8:35 PM Post #173 of 212
Hey, so it's actually a "pro" headphone! Been waiting for this from you, Monster. I like the sound Monster makes, when they don't overdo the bass. Just not fans of the prices of many of them.

Dec 11, 2013 at 8:45 PM Post #174 of 212
Generally most of the headphones they released after the divorce with beats were decent.  Now if the prices decreased then that would also be nice. 

Dec 15, 2013 at 5:08 AM Post #175 of 212
  Hey, so it's actually a "pro" headphone! Been waiting for this from you, Monster. I like the sound Monster makes, when they don't overdo the bass. Just not fans of the prices of many of them.

yeah the upcoming DNA Pro (got a pair here for eval) could be the most balanced Monster headphone I've heard.
I actually think the low end might be a bit too rolled-off for my taste!
Imagine that!

But as they break in the mids and bass are changing - so I'm still in the initial impression stage.

Dec 15, 2013 at 12:17 PM Post #176 of 212
  yeah the upcoming DNA Pro (got a pair here for eval) could be the most balanced Monster headphone I've heard.
I actually think the low end might be a bit too rolled-off for my taste!
Imagine that!

But as they break in the mids and bass are changing - so I'm still in the initial impression stage.

How different is the sound of the DNA Pro from the DNA on ear? Is it even more balanced than the diamond tears?

Jan 7, 2014 at 8:08 PM Post #178 of 212
Okay so I am a new member on here and this is my first post. I know I won't be taken too seriously since I am not a veteran of the site. 

However, I picked up the Monster DNA Pro Over-Ear set in matte black today. I have been through a few headphones to get to these. Started with Beats Studio 2013's (Yes, I know....hence I don't have them anymore.) Then went to the Skullcandy Crusher's which I really loved the bass but the sound clarity of the mids and highs are just not there for me. Sound really really flat. Next, I tried the Beats MIXR since I heard they were the best sounding out of all the Beats headphones. They did sound okay but were the most uncomfortable things I have ever had on. I just about gave up and was going to just stick with my ear buds. (By the way, I have better stuff at home, this set I am looking for is for travel) I picked up these DNA Pro's as a last ditch effort to try one last time. I can honestly say that these are one of the best sounding headphones I have heard in a long time. After the burn in they sounded even better! On top of all of that, they are SUPER comfortable and I have had them on for about 6 hours now with no pain or fatigue. The build quality is decent but not the best I have seen. I would have liked to see some metal for $but 280. I get what Monster was trying to do here. They wanted to keep it lightweight for travel. They still feel more sturdy than any Beats I have held. I think this pair is a very safe buy and worth the money if you are looking for something stylish with great sound quality. 

Jan 19, 2014 at 11:16 PM Post #179 of 212
I'm with you D3...I've got the M100s and the Beats Studio 2013s and I just picked up the DNA Pros today because earlier in this thread I gushed about the original DNA but I just didn't like the on ear part of them.

I am pleasantly surprised. I already sold my M100s and I'm just trying to decide between the 2013s and the DNA pro. I like the small fit and form of the Studios but I can already tell I like the sound of the DNA more. We will see how it goes after a few days.

Not sure why monster made the deal with best buy to exclusively carry the Pros. That just seems odd to me.

Jan 20, 2014 at 12:05 AM Post #180 of 212
I'm with you D3...I've got the M100s and the Beats Studio 2013s and I just picked up the DNA Pros today because earlier in this thread I gushed about the original DNA but I just didn't like the on ear part of them.

I am pleasantly surprised. I already sold my M100s and I'm just trying to decide between the 2013s and the DNA pro. I like the small fit and form of the Studios but I can already tell I like the sound of the DNA more. We will see how it goes after a few days.

Not sure why monster made the deal with best buy to exclusively carry the Pros. That just seems odd to me.

I have the original DNA on ear and I love the sound however it gets uncomfortable after a while and I prefer over ears in general.  How different is the over ear version compared to the on ear?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back