NEW! Monster DNA headphones
Jan 20, 2014 at 3:14 AM Post #181 of 212

I have the original DNA on ear and I love the sound however it gets uncomfortable after a while and I prefer over ears in general.  How different is the over ear version compared to the on ear?

They are pretty similar, but different.  If you know what I mean.  LOL.  The bass on the DNA is good...great even...but on the PRO it's a little more laid back.  Not nearly as bass oriented as the on-ear model.  So it seems slightly thin overall compared to my Studio's and M100s, but it's seems to be getting a bit thicker as I listened to them over the last few hours.  So maybe burn-in is a real thing?  :)  The voices are much more forward in the PRO model as well.  They are front and center for sure.

Build quality on the PRO is better than the DNAs...mostly because it's a bigger headphone so it feels a bit more hefty.  Ear pads are equally as supple and comfy. In fact more so since it's now over ear instead of on, so the pressure points I complained about in the beginning of this thread are non-existent on the new phone.  Would have to take a break every hour or so with the originals, and I've had these PROs on for about 3 and they are perfecly comfy still.  So right now...it's really a toss up on which headphone I'll keep.  I really think the PRO is a fantastic headphone and it's a true upgrade if you ask me...over the standard DNA.  Worth a shot if you like the sound on the original...quite similar with just slightly less bass.

Hope this helps a bit. 

Jan 20, 2014 at 3:22 AM Post #182 of 212
A pic for fun.  :)  If I decide to keep the PROs...I'll definitely be trading them for the matte black ones...the whites just aren't that good looking.  I like my headphones matte...obviously.

Feb 11, 2014 at 10:11 PM Post #183 of 212
Sitting with my pair of DNA on-ears on my head. God damn I love these.

But yet, somehow, those VModas are tempting as all hell. There's nowhere for me to listen to them and test them out, but I'd be really curious how the m80 and m100 stack up against the DNA on-ears. I admit to being a bass-head, but the Beats I've tried in the past are always chintzy and the bass feels bloated and artificial whereas on the DNA it's full and natural. 

Mixed reviews on the VModas, do either model stack up against the DNA on that front, dude? I know youv'e tried a lot.

Feb 12, 2014 at 9:08 AM Post #184 of 212
I'm with you D3...I've got the M100s and the Beats Studio 2013s and I just picked up the DNA Pros today because earlier in this thread I gushed about the original DNA but I just didn't like the on ear part of them.

I am pleasantly surprised. I already sold my M100s and I'm just trying to decide between the 2013s and the DNA pro. I like the small fit and form of the Studios but I can already tell I like the sound of the DNA more. We will see how it goes after a few days.

Not sure why monster made the deal with best buy to exclusively carry the Pros. That just seems odd to me.

I'd love to hear your thoughts on the 2013 studios vs the pros. I really enjoy my 2013 matte studios. Nice,compact for a over ear model. Great case, I hear Zero hiss and while the noise cancelation. Isn't on par with other models it's better than nothing. The sound is pretty darn great. Nice bass, clear mids and clean highs. Pretty impressed.

Feb 12, 2014 at 10:29 AM Post #185 of 212
I'd love to hear your thoughts on the 2013 studios vs the pros. I really enjoy my 2013 matte studios. Nice,compact for a over ear model. Great case, I hear Zero hiss and while the noise cancelation. Isn't on par with other models it's better than nothing. The sound is pretty darn great. Nice bass, clear mids and clean highs. Pretty impressed.

The pros are just a lot flatter...a more even sound all the way through.  They ended up sounding a bit thin, especially when compared to the new Studios.  I much prefer the Studio sound, but unlike you, the hiss annoyed me to no end when listening to laid back music.  I've got a high sensitivity to that, so it ultimately is what made me return them.  The Pros on the other hand went back because of the fit.  They killed my head/ears after only about an hour...and there's no bending plastic.  So if you can't hear the hiss...stick w/ the Studios, to me, they are a better overall package.

Feb 12, 2014 at 2:00 PM Post #186 of 212

The pros are just a lot flatter...a more even sound all the way through.  They ended up sounding a bit thin, especially when compared to the new Studios.  I much prefer the Studio sound, but unlike you, the hiss annoyed me to no end when listening to laid back music.  I've got a high sensitivity to that, so it ultimately is what made me return them.  The Pros on the other hand went back because of the fit.  They killed my head/ears after only about an hour...and there's no bending plastic.  So if you can't hear the hiss...stick w/ the Studios, to me, they are a better overall package.

No lie. I tried out the DNA Pros and holy crap that's a flat sound. I'd call it lifeless, personally. There was just nothing there. 

I actually ended up swapping the DNA's out for the Beats Mixr. They have a tight fit (which you can fix by stretching them out for a little while), but in terms of that "club" sound? The best I've run into, and no need for batteries.

EDIT: And by the way, I find it funny that "audiophile" somehow precludes people enjoying bass-heavy sounds. To me, audiophiles are people who love music and are willing to pay a premium for the perfect sound as it fits their tastes. I've had Audio-Technica A700s, Shure SRH840, Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro, tried the M50, Sennheiser 595. I actually prefer the "urban" audio profile of the Beats Mixr. 

In fact, I spent forever AVOIDING Monster and Beats because of rep, not giving them a real shot. Now I'm calling it an overall tie between the DNA and Mixr for on-ear headphones, and I'm using the Mixr because they do sound better, despite being significantly less comfortable. 

Apr 18, 2014 at 9:21 AM Post #187 of 212
I am a Director Product Development at. Monster. While Mr. "K" has been privy to engineering documents in the past I can assure you that he was not part of the team that designed and engineered the DNA headphones.

May 6, 2014 at 2:12 AM Post #189 of 212
The custom graphics options for the DNA are awesome, especially the ones that aren't a simple color like "metallic blue".  One hell of a selection.  It makes me want to collect DNA headphones with each design, hahaha. 
evil_smiley.gif

So hardly any appreciation for the DNA on-ear?
It actually is good.  The Pros are even better, more audiophilliac and all, a far cry from "flat" or "lifeless" when I tried them with my J3 at a Best Buy.

The last time that a Monster headphone made me happy was the Turbine series, especially the Pro Copper.

Jul 4, 2014 at 12:44 PM Post #190 of 212
The Monster Dna's have good sound and bass but do the v-moda 100's have the same or is there better highs,mids,bass than the dna's? I had a pair of dna's that sounded good with an amp and without one but then the ear cup cover split and couldn't find replacement but brought them back to the store for new ones(had a 2 year warranty) ,so the question is should I shell out $150 more and just get the V-moda's or stick with the DNA's? I know the both are good but are the sound quality rich and worth the extra $150+ to get the V-Modas? 

Jul 7, 2014 at 7:10 PM Post #191 of 212
  The Monster Dna's have good sound and bass but do the v-moda 100's have the same or is there better highs,mids,bass than the dna's? I had a pair of dna's that sounded good with an amp and without one but then the ear cup cover split and couldn't find replacement but brought them back to the store for new ones(had a 2 year warranty) ,so the question is should I shell out $150 more and just get the V-moda's or stick with the DNA's? I know the both are good but are the sound quality rich and worth the extra $150+ to get the V-Modas? 

If it's not gonna break the bank, jump up to the M100. If that's a tough budget situation, stick with the DNA. The M100 is definitely better but don't kill your bank account for it.

Jul 9, 2014 at 8:59 AM Post #192 of 212
I'm a big fan of Monster - my Monster Beats Detox Pro are one of my first big bass bad ass cans that started my collection - and for 40mm drivers - still pump some serious bass SPL, performing well on the extreme bass club threads bass/paper test :wink:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/716711/the-best-bass-headphones-are-the-extreme-bass-club/900#post_10678102

I also have the over ear Pro DNA

and the on ear DNA (in the best fluorescent crazy cool colour scheme yet seen on a headphone :D)

Both types of DNA are great headphones in sound and form factor in their own respective rights (IMO)

One thing I would like to see in future models of Monster headphones - 50mm or larger drivers :wink:

And...it would be good to see a Monster, all bases covered, good looking yet highly functional DJ headphone with 50mm drivers (or bigger than 50mm is good, but anything smaller than 50mm is not good) - your competition - Philips A5-Pro - better that and you may own the DJ headphone world :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back