NEW! Monster DNA headphones
Jan 7, 2013 at 9:21 PM Post #136 of 212
why cant I find any technical info on these headphones either on the website or on the box, or on any of the papers it comes with?
The box and packaging is very unique and impressive,
and these headphones MUST be lower than 32ohm impedance,
because they are much louder and you can hear super low level noise,
that higher impedance headphones would not be sensitive to.
Not sure if that's a plus or minus,
but they do sound dam good and immersive and musical and detailed.
But detailed in a predominately midrange sense with excellent bass extension, yet slightly pronounced upper bass.
clarity is impressive.
Made me want to listen more than the vmoda m80 I had on hand..
EDIT:
It is not easy to simultaneously compare these headphones because they are so much louder than normal.
I need to use a headphone amp on any other headphones for a "same level" fair comparison.
Edit2:
I had to boost my Fiio e11 to max vol and boost just for my other headphones to have same level sound.
Also these DNA sound nothing like an m80.
These are very mid centric like the JVC s400 except with much better clarity and deeper bass.
The m80 are very different than the DNA.
They are much like my k67 I just got.
The k67 is a cheaper alternative to the m80 as they sound excellent and have deep bass extension without going boomy or muddy.
These DNA are so sensitive you hear everything and very involving and intimate sound.
Very unique sound
All you have to do is use an eq to lower upper bass 4db and it sounds fantastic,
Yet sound curve is like a bell, forward in mids,
opposite of most cans that are like a "V" curve.
Edit:
The DNAs are probably is more of a different and much lesser v-curve sig due to forward intimate mids yet large sound and bass extension without any boominess or fat sound. It just sounds "large".
Very clean sound.
I must aquire the diesel next to compare.
Also would like 2 compare detail and overall presentation to a beyer 1350 so thats my goal for "inxome tax refund" time :)

Jan 15, 2013 at 12:05 PM Post #137 of 212

Ok so far from my present collection my two best are the m100 and these DNA .
Only from a musical enjoyment perspective.
The m100 are all round best but these DNA are detail monsters.
Impressive for me 2 say considering I am biased against Monster for selling wire at exorbitant prices giving mainly placebo effect from the looks.
Edit:
I should also mention every headphone in this pick are keepers, excelling in different areas,
Yet I will trim down to explore more models.

Jan 30, 2013 at 10:34 PM Post #138 of 212
Ello DNA Owners,

I have a list of headphones I am currently looking at buying and the DNA's have made it onto that list. As someone who owned a pair of Turbine Coppers I know that monster shouldn't be judged by their association with beats. I'm just wondering how others would pair the DNA's against the UE4000/6000 On-Ear/Over-Ear sets.

Feb 2, 2013 at 11:09 AM Post #140 of 212
Quote:
I owned the Monster Miles Davis Tributes. Those were really nice.

I can not complain about Monster. Hell Apple is doing the same thing in a grander scale.

I applaud Monster. ANY business would love to be able to make money like they do and be private at that.

The words Hand over fist money come to mind with Apple and Monster.

Specualtion: I am surprised Noel lee and crew have not decided to go into the CIEM terrirory. At the same time, they are doign exceptional well without that market. See the olympics and everyone carrying Monster something.

Indeed. I loved the Miles Davis Tribute. Much better than the IE8's. Very high quality product.

Feb 2, 2013 at 1:55 PM Post #141 of 212
M80 has the best balanced presentation.
DNA more forward mids.

M80 more quality construction
DNA uses more plastic but looks good, not cheap looking.

M80 sleeker profile
DNA slightly stick out more

M80 more comfort
DNA clamp pressure makes long term listening problem,
As pads slowly flatten out and feel plastic.
It will depend on your ear shape.

M80 normal volume
DNA much much louder .
In fact no on ear that I know is louder,
Not even same line higher model " diamond tears"
This gives false sense of greater detail.

M80 sound highlights are: nice highs, mids, and bass.
DNA sound highlights are: deep airy bass, involving mids, high volume.

Hard to choose as I did enjoy the DNA mids better.
In fact those mids are addictive & I believe it is because of the headphones such high sensitivity.
I personally got rid of both and going for new ath es700.
Similar price range and should totally overshadow both.

Feb 2, 2013 at 2:31 PM Post #142 of 212
Quote:
M80 has the best balanced presentation.
DNA more forward mids.

M80 more quality construction
DNA uses more plastic but looks good, not cheap looking.

M80 sleeker profile
DNA slightly stick out more

M80 more comfort
DNA clamp pressure makes long term listening problem,
As pads slowly flatten out and feel plastic.
It will depend on your ear shape.

M80 normal volume
DNA much much louder .
In fact no on ear that I know is louder,
Not even same line higher model " diamond tears"
This gives false sense of greater detail.

M80 sound highlights are: nice highs, mids, and bass.
DNA sound highlights are: deep airy bass, involving mids, high volume.

Hard to choose as I did enjoy the DNA mids better.
In fact those mids are addictive & I believe it is because of the headphones such high sensitivity.
I personally got rid of both and going for new ath es700.
Similar price range and should totally overshadow both.

I got a pair of the Like-New M80's from the Amazon Warehouse. I've already spoken with V-Moda and they said they would replace/repair them if there were any factory defects. I only paid $107 dollars for them. (I had a dollar left from a gift card). Thanks for the comparison. I am now adding the ES700 to my Watchlist on Amazon. I was really looking for an On-Ear w/ a detachable cable. So I think I went with the best for me especially with the price. I could easily still pick up the DNA's as I have more money coming but I think my next purchase will be a pair of IEM to replace my JVC FX40s.

Feb 2, 2013 at 3:10 PM Post #143 of 212
...my next purchase will be a pair of IEM to replace my JVC FX40s.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/632892/review-sony-mh1-the-best-kept-secret

Feb 2, 2013 at 11:02 PM Post #145 of 212
Quote:
Quote:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/632892/review-sony-mh1-the-best-kept-secret

Those don't convince me.

You and me both. I don't know but something seems to good to be true, and I bet they cannot take the wear and tear of other headphones if the price for performance ratio is really that high.

Feb 4, 2013 at 2:29 AM Post #149 of 212
Quote:
maybe thats true but it also has very linear treble that rivals plenty of highe end iems

Well, I think I should give them a try in that case. If I don't like them I offer them to my girlfriend. They must be better than her EX300s. 

Feb 4, 2013 at 2:37 AM Post #150 of 212
Quote:
Quote:
maybe thats true but it also has very linear treble that rivals plenty of highe end iems

Well, I think I should give them a try in that case. If I don't like them I offer them to my girlfriend. They must be better than her EX300s. 

A tribute or a sacrifice?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back