New Monoprice full-sized headphones
Aug 6, 2011 at 12:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 62

Uncle Erik

Uncle Exotic
I ran across these new Monoprice headphones today.  Haven't seen them mentioned here yet (I'll remove this thread if they have) so I thought I'd put them up for discussion.

[size=9pt]
[size=9pt] [th] Specifications[/th] [/size] [size=9pt] [td][size=9pt] Model Number[/size][/td] [td][size=9pt] MEP-839[/size][/td] [/size] [size=9pt] [td][size=9pt] Driver Unit[/size][/td] [td][size=9pt] 50 mm[/size][/td] [/size] [size=9pt] [td][size=9pt] Impedance[/size][/td] [td][size=9pt] 40 ohms[/size][/td] [/size] [size=9pt] [td][size=9pt] Sensitivity[/size][/td] [td][size=9pt] 100 +/- 3 dB / 1mW (S.P. L at 1 k Hz)[/size][/td] [/size] [size=9pt] [td][size=9pt] Frequency Response[/size][/td] [td][size=9pt] 20 Hz to 20 kHz[/size][/td] [/size] [size=9pt] [td][size=9pt] Wire Length[/size][/td] [td][size=9pt] 3500 mm (11.4')

[/size][/td]
[/size]
[/size]  
Price: $23.74

Has anyone heard of these or had the chance to listen to a pair yet?

Anyone want to "take one for the team"?

Aug 6, 2011 at 12:28 AM Post #3 of 62
WANT.

guesses: dark, no extension, soundstage no wider than the listener's skull.

seriously, if i were in the market for a sub-$25 closed can, i don't think i could say no to TOFTT.

edit: in too late. waiting for Katun's impressions though.

Aug 6, 2011 at 12:34 AM Post #4 of 62
who knows. they can possibly be much better than their price point intends them to be(i always find stuff cheap that performs well above their price point). or they can be one of the worst sounding headphones at their current price point. who knows. i wouldn't judge a book by it's cover too quickly now. it is an interesting find. i wonder if they are a re-brand of another manufacture maybe.

Aug 6, 2011 at 12:35 AM Post #5 of 62
Their cables sound like $5000 ones. Do I smell giant killer? 
wink.gif

Aug 6, 2011 at 12:38 AM Post #6 of 62
Their cables sound like $5000 ones. Do I smell giant killer? 
wink.gif

their cables is so indestructible Hercules himself highly recommends these to take down those mythical beasts of horrific terror. they were enchanted by the blessings of Zeus himself so you know these are durable.

Aug 6, 2011 at 12:48 AM Post #7 of 62

Quote:
who knows. they can possibly be much better than their price point intends them to be(i always find stuff cheap that performs well above their price point). or they can be one of the worst sounding headphones at their current price point. who knows. i wouldn't judge a book by it's cover too quickly now. it is an interesting find. i wonder if they are a re-brand of another manufacture maybe.

Looks like an HD 280pro clone to me.

Aug 6, 2011 at 1:13 AM Post #9 of 62
Aug 6, 2011 at 1:40 AM Post #11 of 62
Aug 6, 2011 at 1:52 AM Post #12 of 62

Quote:
I like the design. They look comfortable enough could make a good beater can.

If the ear pads are the same as the HP541s, i can vouch for the comfort. Can easily wear them for my 8 hour shift at work without any discomfort.

Aug 6, 2011 at 4:49 AM Post #14 of 62
I've heard them and hated them, but some people around here love the HP541. I personally felt they were extremely muffled sounding and had too much bass.
What's funny is that on every website they're listed as a $99 retail priced headphone, but almost nobody sells them for that.
Wow, $23 at Monoprice? That's crazy considering the HP541 is usually $50.

Aug 6, 2011 at 1:14 PM Post #15 of 62

Quote:
Care to tell us how the Kicker sounds?
smily_headphones1.gif

For the price i think they are pretty good. Yeah they are a little muffled... yeah they are a little bass heavy... But i think they are a really fun headphone to listen to. Accented bass (i like hp541 better than Beats bass... plus no battery). Muffled mids (not a lot muffled, just enough to notice on the tracks you are familiar with). OK highs (not the most clear and detailed, but good enough for this price range). They are pretty forgiving depending on the source quality. I have some digital files that i prefer to listen with the HP541 over my Turbine Coppers or HD280pro because it is a low bitrate. Plus, if you put them on a headphone amp and it is even more fun. Overall i like the way they sound. I'd pay about 50-60 for them any day.

Plus, they are a GREAT gift for people who dont know about headphones. I've done this a few times. I still have people thanking me for those "amazing" headphone i gave them... lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back