New model Cowon - Plenue D2
Feb 8, 2019 at 11:29 PM Post #122 of 952
Thought you would disagree so if you have the hiby why bother with any cowon. If you had the p2 and hated it why even try the D ?
I didn't realize the r6 was so detailed until I compared it head to head with the P2. I was looking for an upgrade and was told that jeteffect was superior to mseb.
That wasn't the case.

The P2 has a nice smooth sound. By no means did I hate it. It just lacked the detail I desired.

I bought the d2 because of the power increase, and l enjoyed playing with jeteffect. Also, let's face it, I'm a sucker for new devices and an addict.

@bobsmith230 I listen loud and the pair I'm using is not very sensitive. You don't actually need to wear them, but if you could test at higher volume using one of the bassier settings to see if it gets all messed up, is be interested to know the results.

Usually the sound will go back to normal after skipping a track, but function is spotty and unreliable after it glitches out....

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2019 at 6:26 PM Post #123 of 952
Yeah, the only real Difference is 10 band versus 5 band EQ, but it's ridiculous. There is no reason it could not be implemented.

You can't even format to fat32 on a Windows PC without special software now, nor is this documented anywhere.... What? Seriously, this is really basic stuff.

I'm tempted to say screw it and send it back, but it'd be the second product I've returned to jet in a month on amazon....

It is mentioned on their website if you had taken a look - http://www.cowonglobal.com/product_wide/PLENUED2/product_page_4.php

It's at the end of the page.

Feb 11, 2019 at 1:28 AM Post #124 of 952
It is mentioned on their website if you had taken a look - http://www.cowonglobal.com/product_wide/PLENUED2/product_page_4.php

It's at the end of the page.
Yes, I see that in the fine print. Again, it's 2019. My $50 Sansa fuze from 2012 can use exFAT AND you can format a card on the device.

Which would cowon have us believe?

1. Their device is so outdated that you need to use a file system format that isn't used in the mainstream, and you can't even format it on the device? Alternatively, their engineers/programmers are so terrible they can't figure this out?
Or
2. They're making a $300 device purposely harder to use because they want you to buy a more expensive product?

We all know the answer is #2, but what they're doing is turning people off, and/or confusing them. It's completely unnecessary.

Feb 11, 2019 at 3:18 AM Post #125 of 952
Yes, I see that in the fine print. Again, it's 2019. My $50 Sansa fuze from 2012 can use exFAT AND you can format a card on the device.

Which would cowon have us believe?

1. Their device is so outdated that you need to use a file system format that isn't used in the mainstream, and you can't even format it on the device? Alternatively, their engineers/programmers are so terrible they can't figure this out?
Or
2. They're making a $300 device purposely harder to use because they want you to buy a more expensive product?

We all know the answer is #2, but what they're doing is turning people off, and/or confusing them. It's completely unnecessary.

You're looking at it the wrong way. Yeah, most smart devices nowadays support exfat, yeah certain older mainstream music players support it, but the niche audiophile market is a totally different thing. Just a few years ago most of the DAPs that weren't at flagship level supported only fat32. The market is too small and the R&D can be quite expensive. Most smaller brands can't buy mainstream SoCs at affordable prices, so they go for older solutions with their limitations for their cheaper models. Hell, a lot of recent DAPs while supporting exfat still require a fat32 formatted card to update the firmware. Often times they also outsource the development of the software. There is a reason why most Asian audiophile DAPs have been having all sorts of software issues for years. Even big companies like sony still have a lot of limitations in their DAPs like no proper playlist support, no CUE sheet suppoer, etc. which are also features that have been available for years.

Most people think that all manufacturers should be using Android nowadays or something that has this level of polish and features but they can't grasp the implications of that as you need specific SoCs, a lot of RAM, battery life goes to hell etc. and more than that the price skyrockets as the manufacturers pay way more for these parts than your average smartphone manufacturer. Things remain very similar nowadays as they did few years back - if you want affordable, you either have to settle for a mediocre sound specs and somewhat decent software or for good sound specs with crappier software. The other options are going for the expensive models where you can either kiss the battery life goodbye or go for a sony, which again is making a big compromise.

The manufacturers of audiophile DAPs don't produce crappy products just to make you buy their expensive ones. That's a ridiculous premise as they can just produce only expensive DAPs and take away the affordable options limiting the consumers to only old models, flagships or smartphones. So I guess we should consider it a courtesy that they are still pushing forward the audio evolution at affordable prices even if it's at the expense of some frustration on the software part.

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2019 at 8:45 AM Post #127 of 952
Currently using Shanling M2s and I'm a happy user. Only thing that pulls me towards Cowon is the implementation of Jeteffects. It gives plenty of options to change the sound to your choice, also the fantastic battery life of Cowon players. I'm still interested in D2 if it offers better audio output. If this players doesn't get good reviews I'll stay away from Cowon. Is there any other company that offers better DSP?

Feb 11, 2019 at 10:16 AM Post #128 of 952
Unless your going for 3rd party apps in android your pretty limited on DSP EQ options, Cowon Jet effect (Great but the frequency selection on the semi PEQ doesnt go low enough for me).
Hiby's MSEB is awesome, I've not tried any Lotoo PEQ's and my current favorite is Colorfly U8's 32 band PEQ :L3000: (no point mentioning A&K lol)

Feb 11, 2019 at 10:18 AM Post #129 of 952
Currently using Shanling M2s and I'm a happy user. Only thing that pulls me towards Cowon is the implementation of Jeteffects. It gives plenty of options to change the sound to your choice, also the fantastic battery life of Cowon players. I'm still interested in D2 if it offers better audio output. If this players doesn't get good reviews I'll stay away from Cowon. Is there any other company that offers better DSP?
I honestly can't say much because it keeps glitching out on me. I can't get through a whole song without it getting screwed up.

When I listen at a lower volume its hard for me to compare because that's not how I usually listen.... But it's pretty detailed but a bit thin sounding (compared to the r6 pro). Very mid centric and rolled off at both ends.... Nice sense of space and good separation between instruments.

I don't dislike it, I just can't get it to play at my desired volume without glitching out like crazy.

Hiby MSEB is my favorite DSP I've tried. Jeteffect is a distant second. Need to try lotoo's ATE and viper in fiio, but I believe they might be as good as jeteffect at best.

PEQ is fine, but EQ in general is pretty limited in impact compared to something like MSEB.

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2019 at 1:40 PM Post #130 of 952
Feb 11, 2019 at 10:26 PM Post #131 of 952
Allright. I orderd my new PD2. And I'm looking forward to get this cutie quickly. But I have one question. The PD2 will power the Audeze Isine 10. Are there some balanced 2,5mm 2pin cable which fits to the Audueze? And will this push the sound a bit or is this just a myth? Thx a lot.

Feb 12, 2019 at 1:42 AM Post #132 of 952
Allright. I orderd my new PD2. And I'm looking forward to get this cutie quickly. But I have one question. The PD2 will power the Audeze Isine 10. Are there some balanced 2,5mm 2pin cable which fits to the Audueze? And will this push the sound a bit or is this just a myth? Thx a lot.
I used to have the isine20 and this will have plenty of power for them using balanced (assuming my issue is with my unit only, or is fixed via firmware update)....

As for cable, you just need to make sure the 2 pin 2.5mm cable you order has a notch on one side. The one I used with the isine20 was cheapo venture cable from massdrop, but I'm sure you can find them on Amazon now as they've become a lot more available in the past few months. Also, people are making mmcx to 2 pin adapters, and those I see for sale have the notch.

Feb 13, 2019 at 1:04 AM Post #133 of 952
Unless your going for 3rd party apps in android your pretty limited on DSP EQ options, Cowon Jet effect (Great but the frequency selection on the semi PEQ doesnt go low enough for me).
Hiby's MSEB is awesome, I've not tried any Lotoo PEQ's and my current favorite is Colorfly U8's 32 band PEQ :L3000: (no point mentioning A&K lol)

I honestly can't say much because it keeps glitching out on me. I can't get through a whole song without it getting screwed up.

When I listen at a lower volume its hard for me to compare because that's not how I usually listen.... But it's pretty detailed but a bit thin sounding (compared to the r6 pro). Very mid centric and rolled off at both ends.... Nice sense of space and good separation between instruments.

I don't dislike it, I just can't get it to play at my desired volume without glitching out like crazy.

Hiby MSEB is my favorite DSP I've tried. Jeteffect is a distant second. Need to try lotoo's ATE and viper in fiio, but I believe they might be as good as jeteffect at best.

PEQ is fine, but EQ in general is pretty limited in impact compared to something like MSEB.

That's interesting but android daps don't give good battery life. Might have to wait for the next mid tier dap from Hiby or Shanling with better DSP options and a balanced out.

Feb 14, 2019 at 12:27 PM Post #135 of 952
Dumb question - Is it possible a Firmware update could add support for Larger Memory Card ?
That's the question of the day.... I would think so, but I don't know for sure. It certainly seems as if they are crippling this intentionally like with the plenue D, regardless of what others may say, so.... It would be up to cowon.

Has anyone been able to test out my volume problem where this starts glitching out on high volume? I've not gotten a response from cowon or jet. If it's a firmware issue and happening to others, I may hang on to this, but if it's just my unit, obviously I need to return it....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back