New model Cowon - Plenue D2
Mar 23, 2019 at 6:32 AM Post #287 of 952
In playback mode, go to settings, (the wrench), music, DAC filter

Here you can select fast and slow roll-off and nos.

Thanks. Will try them. Any noticeable difference?

Mar 23, 2019 at 6:36 AM Post #288 of 952
Not that I could tell... I don't have supersonic hearing, so I wouldn't hear it anyways.

Nice write-up on filters:
http://nihtila.com/2017/01/07/dac-digital-filters-and-their-impact-in-time-and-frequency-domains/

I guesd, I prefer the nos filter, but cannot really tell a difference yet.

I'm more interested in the measurements ofheadphone mode on vs. off...
Sometimes, the increased gain also increases audible issues, afaik.

Regarding my comparison:
How can I best get the volume of my three players matched? This is the most important part to get a useful impression...

I can't find my SPL meter, so would have to do it by ear..
Pink noise test sound?

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2019 at 7:45 AM Post #289 of 952
Not that I could tell... I don't have supersonic hearing, so I wouldn't hear it anyways.

Nice write-up on filters:
http://nihtila.com/2017/01/07/dac-digital-filters-and-their-impact-in-time-and-frequency-domains/

I guesd, I prefer the nos filter, but cannot really tell a difference yet.

I'm more interested in the measurements ofheadphone mode on vs. off...
Sometimes, the increased gain also increases audible issues, afaik.

Regarding my comparison:
How can I best get the volume of my three players matched? This is the most important part to get a useful impression...

I can't find my SPL meter, so would have to do it by ear..
Pink noise test sound?

I do it using dedicated HW SPL meter and pink noise but even then it is not easy with IEMs due to few factors.

You could try installing SPL android / IOS app on your smartphone and pressing IEMs against the built in MIC. Should be more effective then by hearing itself.

Cheers

Mar 23, 2019 at 8:15 AM Post #291 of 952
Won't use the IEMs for the comparison, since I have 4 pairs of headphones at hand, of which the DT990 are circumaural (all the others are on-ear).

I'll give that app a try, touching the grid of the headphones with the mic on the bottom of my smartphone.

My SPL would be better, though, being more precise and able to touch the grid on all my headphones...

Re battery life:
I assume, headphone mode on and high impedance phones will negatively affect battery life?

Could NOS improve battery life, since there's no digital filtering (i.e. processing power) required?

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2019 at 8:41 AM Post #292 of 952
Won't use the IEMs for the comparison, since I have 4 pairs of headphones at hand, of which the DT990 are circumaural (all the others are on-ear).

I'll give that app a try, touching the grid of the headphones with the mic on the bottom of my smartphone.

My SPL would be better, though, being more precise and able to touch the grid on all my headphones...

Re battery life:
I assume, headphone mode on and high impedance phones will negatively affect battery life?

Could NOS improve battery life, since there's no digital filtering (i.e. processing power) required?

With Cans I would not try to touch the grills. I place mic in position where ears would be in relation to driver so 1-3cm from driver depending on cans construction.

High impedance will influence the battery life, other things should be marginal (other then volume of course and file type).

Cheers

Mar 23, 2019 at 8:44 AM Post #293 of 952
I've done two battery run downs so far, once on Flac and once on MP3... 22 hours for MP3, and about the same with FLAC. All default settings. That part's not good.

That is interesting. I am sure you have seen my post about battery life of my unit few pages back. I am getting consistent 40h (few runs) from FLACs with Mee P1.

What headphones are you testing with and at what volume?

Mar 23, 2019 at 8:45 AM Post #294 of 952
The impedance influences the volume directly, since more power is needed to reach the same volume.

File format is important too, but it seems the processor in the Plenue D2 doesn't draw too much power (flac yielding similar battery life as mp3)

Mar 23, 2019 at 9:25 AM Post #296 of 952
The impedance influences the volume directly, since more power is needed to reach the same volume.

File format is important too, but it seems the processor in the Plenue D2 doesn't draw too much power (flac yielding similar battery life as mp3)

Well that is what I wrote. Other then I did not compare Flacs to Mp3 but as battery life is more or less spot on with documentation for Flacs (40h) I assumed that also what is written about MP3 will be true (100h) which would mean that file type is also important.

Mar 23, 2019 at 9:53 AM Post #298 of 952
The Plenue D2 doesn't offer 100h of battery, that was the original PD.

The PD2 probably offers less (50h is advertised) because it offers more processing power and much more amplification.

I have just checked and they have wrong info on Amazon website (100h for mp3). The Cowon site says aprox. 45h for mp3 and 30 for hi-rez Flac so 40 which I am getting of Red Book is probably spot on.

Cowon: http://www.cowonglobal.com/product_wide/PLENUED2/product_page_4.php

Amazon: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cowon-Plenue-2-5mm-Balanced-Output-Silver/dp/B07M85T3DG

Cheers

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2019 at 10:29 AM Post #300 of 952
It appears that my unit is set to headphone as it was from the box. That may be the reason. I'll be doing another rundown to be sure, but with earphone setting on.

Mine is set to headphones as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back