New model Cowon - Plenue D2
Mar 21, 2019 at 11:19 AM Post #259 of 952
Mar 21, 2019 at 11:20 AM Post #261 of 952
after letting it yell into the void for a night it seems to have chilled out some more. with the right settings it sounds really quite good.

it's picky about those settings though. on my etymotics many of the jeteffect presets cause audible clipping-like distortion. seems less of a problem on the unbalanced output. makes me wonder if they properly tested the software with the new DAC configuration and balanced output...

once you get it right it sounds very clear, with excellent extension in both bass and treble. maybe a tad hot in the treble. sense of space is quite nice, especially with the phase-comp DAC filters.

there seems to be very little info out there at this point but i think the plenue v is a good reference point (guts and software seem the same except the D2 has a dual configuration of the same DAC and balanced out). not like there's a lot of info about the v either. ^^;

Well, it could be a feature I've not found to turn on, or the software is immature. Whatever the case, gaps aren't minimal, they are beastly.
that's odd... mine plays perfectly gapless on default settings. what file type are you using?

Mar 21, 2019 at 11:22 AM Post #263 of 952
I don't own the JVC. I wish I did. It is the most amazing earphone I've heard in a long time. I had it it only to shoot a magazine.
I agree it can go against the best headphones.

Mar 21, 2019 at 11:22 AM Post #264 of 952
after letting it yell into the void for a night it seems to have chilled out some more. with the right settings it sounds really quite good.

it's picky about those settings though. on my etymotics a many of the jeteffect presets cause audible clipping-like distortion. seems less of a problem on the unbalanced output. makes me wonder if they properly tested the software with the new DAC configuration and balanced output...

once you get it right it sounds very clear, with excellent extension in both bass and treble. maybe a tad hot in the treble. sense of space is quite nice, especially with the phase-comp DAC filters.

there seems to be very little info out there at this point but i think the plenue v is a good reference point (guts and software seem the same except the D2 has a dual configuration of the same DAC and balanced out). not like there's a lot of info about the v either. ^^;

that's odd... mine plays perfectly gapless on default settings. what file type are you using?

So far just MP3. My torture test is In Search of Sunrise track 1 to 2. iPhone: nails it. DP-S1: nails it. D: fails. D2: fails.

Mar 21, 2019 at 11:51 AM Post #265 of 952
Just a quick note about battery life.

Flac on SE output driving Mee P1 (difficult load for IEMs) to 85db = 40h
Flac on Balanced output Mee P1 at 85db = 24h

Both cases close to 0 screen use and non-stop playback.

I do not do mp3 so cannot comment on it.

Those are real life figures :)

Cheers

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2019 at 11:59 AM Post #266 of 952
Mar 21, 2019 at 12:09 PM Post #268 of 952
I'm not sure what you mean by that? What do you mean by 'soundstage' in this instance?

I mean the size of aural soundstage. It is tiny and mostly in your head. It is left right and center not much more so I am asking what soundstage?
Of course the headphones themselves will play a big role here but from short comparison to my cans there is not much to talk about here.

I have probably too big of the expectations.

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2019 at 12:17 PM Post #269 of 952
I'm confused. I understand the soundstage discussion from a headphone, but even DAPs with next to no stereo separation have been called 'wide' or have been said to have really large sound stages. The D2 has great stereo separation and you can tailor it to be more narrow if you want. It nails hardware tests, too. If you don't like it, that's cool. But soundstage is really really subjective.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back