New model Cowon - Plenue D2
Mar 12, 2019 at 8:06 AM Post #226 of 952
Yes - there are 4 FLACs on it? Yours did not? Would it be indication it was some kind of return?

Mar 12, 2019 at 8:20 AM Post #227 of 952
Yes - there are 4 FLACs on it? Yours did not? Would it be indication it was some kind of return?
Well I bought like eight Cowon daps and none had music on them.

Mar 12, 2019 at 8:31 AM Post #228 of 952
Well I bought like eight Cowon daps and none had music on them.

Yep it makes sense :). Well it looks brand new to me and I am quite picky when it comes to those things, so if someone had it, it must have been for a very short while :) What really concerns me ATM is the SQ rather then if it is new or not.

I primarily plan to use Cowon with Mee P1 of Moondrop Kanas Pro depending which combo I like more of the two but I also have other gear to compare to hence I know what it should sound like.

I mean it is not very expensive item but is not exactly cheap either and ATM it looks like it just lacks in resolution big time.

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2019 at 8:37 AM Post #229 of 952
Yep it makes sense :). Well it looks brand new to me and I am quite picky when it comes to those things, so if someone had it, it must have been for a very short while :) What really concerns me ATM is the SQ rather then if it is new or not.

I primarily plan to use Cowon with Mee P1 of Moondrop Kanas Pro depending which combo I like more of the two but I also have other gear to compare to hence I know what it should sound like.

I mean it is not very expensive item but is not exactly cheap either and ATM it looks like it just lacks in resolution big time.
In the eq option you can try pressung the ROCK option or another pre sets, but the D is Cowons entry dap. What other daps have you used before ?

Mar 12, 2019 at 9:17 AM Post #230 of 952
In the eq option you can try pressung the ROCK option or another pre sets, but the D is Cowons entry dap. What other daps have you used before ?

This is my first DAP experience :). It is early days. Lets give it 100h and see how it behaves then.

Mar 12, 2019 at 9:18 AM Post #231 of 952
I can see you have Hugo2 and Mojo - I would assume those have more resolution then Cowon PD2 (I know Hugo). Can you confirm?

Thanks

Mar 12, 2019 at 9:25 AM Post #232 of 952
I can see you have Hugo2 and Mojo - I would assume those have more resolution then Cowon PD2 (I know Hugo). Can you confirm?

Thanks
A lot more, but Cowon P2 and L are really good.

Mar 12, 2019 at 10:03 AM Post #233 of 952
What do you mean by saying really good? My HTC One M7 has same resolution as Hugo as most modern devices do, anything less is just poor engineering.

My 20 years (tape operated) Walkmen has more resolution then Cowon (at this point in time). I hope they are not diferencing their products by artificially lowering resolution of their gear?

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2019 at 10:15 AM Post #234 of 952
What do you mean by saying really good? My HTC One M7 has same resolution as Hugo as most modern devices do, anything less is just poor engineering.

My 20 years (tape operated) Walkmen has more resolution then Cowon (at this point in time). I hope they are not diferencing their products by artificially lowering resolution of their gear?
Your htc sounds as good as the hugo ? Of thats true then stay with the htc.

Mar 12, 2019 at 10:20 AM Post #235 of 952
I am not saying it is as good. I would prefer if you would read my posts and try to understand them rather then making up your own version out of them.

I am saying that they are no different (or not massively different) in resolution field while Covon is way back. Of course Hugo is much better DAC then my HTC but purley resolution wise they are all the same as most correctly implemented DAC chips are. Only high-end gear is a tad (but important tad) better in resolution. Then there is all good implementations (this is where Hugo falls) which are on same level and then there are bad implementations which have poor resolution (that is Cowon PD2 ATM).

Saying all this, let's not forget that resolution is only one aspect of the sound. I take it for granted (good resolution) as it is just standard in modern digital devices. What matters is what DAC can do with all this resolution and how it can envelope sound and music around it. And this is where quality of the gear starts to shine. Hugo line is in the top tier of quality DACs but it is not high end.

Hugo actually sacrifices some of resolution for so called "analogue sound" which in its case is achieved by painting everything with a bit thicker brush which ultimately is masking some of the finer details and resolution to be had.

And yes, I know Hugo quite well and heard in good few quality speaker systems and compared it to good few DACs from same and much higher level.

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2019 at 10:29 AM Post #236 of 952
I am not saying it is as good. I would prefer if you would read my posts and try to understand them rather then making up your own version out of them.

I am saying that they are no different (or not massively different) in resolution field while Covon is way back. Of course Hugo is much better DAC then my HTC but it resolution wise they are all the same as most correctly implemented DAC chips. Only high-end gear is a tad (but important tad) better in resolution. Then there is all good implementations which are on same level and then there are bad implementations which have poor resolution.

Resolution is one aspect of the sound. I take it for granted. What matters is what DAC can do with all this resolution and how it can envelope sound and music around it. And this is where quality of the gear starts to shine.
Good luck.

Mar 13, 2019 at 10:38 AM Post #237 of 952
NOTICE from Cowon.com

PS
1) 'PLENUE D2' is available in two colors, Gold Black and Silver Black.
2) 'PLENUE D2' celebrate the launch to proceed with the rich sweepstakes offering you a 100% registration provides a CU Mobile vouchers, LCD protective film to review all your purchases during the month.
3) has established a listening exercise gratitude and customer events in the specified store from January 3 to 9 days. You will be able to listen and experience the product during the event, and you will receive a luxury leather case and a spare battery for free.
wait does that imply that the battery is user-replaceable or am I misreading this?

Mar 15, 2019 at 3:53 PM Post #238 of 952

I am saying that they are no different (or not massively different) in resolution field while Covon is way back. Of course Hugo is much better DAC then my HTC but purley resolution wise they are all the same as most correctly implemented DAC chips are. Only high-end gear is a tad (but important tad) better in resolution. Then there is all good implementations (this is where Hugo falls) which are on same level and then there are bad implementations which have poor resolution (that is Cowon PD2 ATM).

Saying all this, let's not forget that resolution is only one aspect of the sound. I take it for granted (good resolution) as it is just standard in modern digital devices. What matters is what DAC can do with all this resolution and how it can envelope sound and music around it. And this is where quality of the gear starts to shine. Hugo line is in the top tier of quality DACs but it is not high end.

Hugo actually sacrifices some of resolution for so called "analogue sound" which in its case is achieved by painting everything with a bit thicker brush which ultimately is masking some of the finer details and resolution to be had.

And yes, I know Hugo quite well and heard in good few quality speaker systems and compared it to good few DACs from same and much higher level.
My Lenovo Vibe X3 resolves better than my X7II but that doesn't mean it sounds better than X7II. In fact my 7 year old Cowon Z2 sounds more natural than my X3. Stating/proving one device is better than the other is a very complicated thing in this field. It's more about preference.

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2019 at 10:37 PM Post #239 of 952
wait does that imply that the battery is user-replaceable or am I misreading this?

The D2 Manual States under Battery and Power:
"Built-in Rechargeable Lithium Polymer Battery"

So while that statement implies its user replaceable the manual doesn't.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back