New Member Introductions thread
Dec 2, 2019 at 10:02 AM Post #10,876 of 15,646
Still jumping through hurdles to become a full member of this site, so here I am posting my introduction. I've recently renewed my interest in "Head-Fi" (new term to me) and am looking to augment my Cardas A8 ear speakers with some over-the-ear headphones.

Currently, I'm running the A8s off an Ayre CODEX with a Cardas Clear power cable and a Nordost Heimdall 2 USB cable. Most of my music comes via TIDAL hi-fi streaming. Although getting older, I still find I'm drawn to rock and roll but am looking to expand my listening horizon into classic jazz here soon.

I started looking at the Sennheiser HD800S but found one review of its materials construction to be a bit disappointing. Too bad I missed the Audeze "Black Friday" event. lol Okay, enough blathering. :)

Dec 2, 2019 at 8:18 PM Post #10,879 of 15,646
Hello Head-Fi community,

I'm a life-long lover of music. I've had a 2 channel stereo system my entire life. I attribute my love of stereos to my father. He was a man of his time (1970's); and like so many of his generation, he invested in a nice stereo system. I grew up listening to albums and reel-to-reel tape.

Over the last year I have come to fall in love with headphones. I started with buying a pair of Grado SR325's and a Schiit Fulla 2 to stream Tidal. OH MY LORD! The quality of the leap I made from the earbuds that came with my iphone leaves me speechless. Now I have discovered there is a global community of head-fi fans and an entire industry that has grown up around them to take my headphone experience to a untold level of enjoyment.

I'm joining Head-Fi to learn more and participate in this wonderful community. Thanks to whomever it is that runs this space.

AGW

Dec 3, 2019 at 4:27 PM Post #10,881 of 15,646
Hey,
my name's Johannes and I'm from Germany.
I'm very new to the matter of let's say good headphones.
Currently my gear is my motherboard on-board chip and a Razer Kraken Pro but I want to upgrade it after christmas :)

Dec 3, 2019 at 6:05 PM Post #10,882 of 15,646
Hey guys,
Looking forward to getting involved and learning about this expensive hobby of ours. Still trying to figure out what it is that i like, and thats why im here.

Headphone: Sennheiser 6XX, PC37X | m50x | Waiting on a MrSpeakers Aeon Open
DAC/ AMP: Schiit Modi/ Magni | FiiO uBTR
IEM: Tin t2 (broken :slight_frown: ) | Galaxy Buds | TFZ Galaxy T2

Dec 3, 2019 at 9:18 PM Post #10,883 of 15,646
Hi Everyone,

Been a longtime lurker on the forms here. Very new and learning. I just want to say thank you to all that take the time to put up reviews and comparisons, you guys have saved me thousands on what could have been bust purchases. I guess its my turn to contribute.. And sell a few things ; )

IEM: Sony XBA 40, EX1000, Sure 846, BGVP Dm6
DAC/AMP: Fiio Q1, Chord Mojo, Dragonfly Red
Headphones: AKG K551, Sennheiser HD558, Astro A40s :darthsmile:

Shoutout to those in Vancouver, Canada!

Dec 3, 2019 at 11:59 PM Post #10,884 of 15,646
Hello,

occasional lurker here. Old enough to remember ‘disco’ but never a fan of it :wink: I lived all over the place, currently in Philadelphia, originally from Germany. I ‘rediscovered’ music again as a source of fun and focus, mostly older jazz and some occasional blues/rock/funk, so now I am slowly working on my equipment within a limited budget. The rediscovery also reminded me that this can be an endless and addictive process, and I am doing my best to resist. Originally, I wanted a good set of IEMs for mobility and a decent headphone set-up in the living room. That has lead me to Blon 30s and Audio Research E100 IEMs that I run with a red Dragonfly (sometimes an ES100) from my Iphone. At home I fell for the Sennheiser 6xx and the Hifiman 4xx, planning to keep only one but who can let them go once you have them? Running the 6xxs through a darkvoice amp - still trying to resist the black hole of tube rolling - and an Ifi nano BL but thinking about a D30 as a replacement so I can play with hooking up an older CD player through a coaxial line. Still deciding about whether I will be using the 4xx with the nano around the house or sell them. Oh, and then there are a few Koss phones, a Klipsch, an Ultimate Ear IEM and others that are collecting dust.
More than you wanted to know, I guess,

Stefan

Dec 4, 2019 at 10:50 AM Post #10,885 of 15,646
Hello,
Been wanting to get more in-depth with the community. Been lurking here very often but now I've decided to make an account. My music taste is all over the place, but classical and jazz come up frequently on my library :smile_phones:

Equipment:
DAC: Khadas Toneboard
AMP: Parasound HCA-2205A, STAX SRD-7 mk2
Headphones: STAX SR-202
IEM: Tin T2

Dec 4, 2019 at 12:16 PM Post #10,886 of 15,646
Hi y'all

My name is Karl, 56 years old and retired for health reasons. Lurked for years but decided to register now that I have plenty of time on my hands. I have a small herd of 24 mid-fi to high-end cans, which must be par for the course 'round here. I listen mostly to fusion, rock and jazz. My current favorite phones are the Focal Elear. I went through phase with HFM Sundara but once broken-in they turned out to have a defective diaphragm so I returned then and got reacquainted with bass from the Elear. Also have the Focal Clear but don't use it much, I still prefer the Elear's punch. I guess that's it for now :smile_phones:

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2019 at 1:55 PM Post #10,887 of 15,646
Long time lurker, new member.

I've found that headphone audio can give you the most audiophile bang for the buck, especially when lacking a space to set up a full room system. I'm looking to upgrade to my system as what I currently have has not been kept up. I'll have very little to add for a while

Music preference: anything of quality in composition and recording

My system is lacking at the moment:
Flio USB DAC (dead)
Etyomic ER4?? earbuds (from 10 years ago. Hated them. Great mids but crap bass and thin but piercing highs).
Audio-Technica ATH-M50x
1More Triple Driver Earbuds
Audiofly 56 Earbuds (fell apart)
Audiofly 78 Earbuds
Various crappy Bluetooth earbuds

Foreplay Tube Amp (in need of update/repair)
Fostex FE-103 based DIY Back Loaded Horns
Marantz 2245 Receiver

Other gear:
Fezzari Alta Peak 27.5" Mountain Bike
Ridley Fenix Road Bike
Ibanez GSR200SM Bass Guitar
Ampeg BA-110 Bass Amp

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2019 at 10:26 PM Post #10,889 of 15,646
Been lurking here for brilliant reviews and discussion for a few years but have never got an account.
Mostly listen to rock and metal music.
My friend lent me a pair of Westone UM1 years ago and got me into this audiophile thing.
Currently owning Shure SE215, BGVP DMG, Tipsy Dunmer, Sennheiser HD58X.
Will be investing in a decent DAC & AMP combo soon after saving up enough money as I am just a fresh college grad :) Nice to meet u all.

Dec 5, 2019 at 8:17 AM Post #10,890 of 15,646
Hello, I'm a new member and joined so I could answer a question for a member in another post. I've been an audiophile for 40 years and started streaming with a Roon setup a few years ago. It was an entry level product and soon the audiophile in me started wanting to get the best sound I can afford. I've read many useful posts on this site and others and now can say that my digital setup surpasses my analog setup. I am not so much a headphone listener as a speaker listener who has a dedicated acoustically treated listening lounge at the house.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back