New Member Introductions thread
Jul 19, 2019 at 11:30 PM Post #10,337 of 15,585
Hi everyone,

I’m a long-time lurker but just finally joined. My journey to audiophilia (is that a word?) started with a lifelong love of music, and many, many ear infections that caused me to become very sensitive to bad audio quality. Seriously, Spotify sounds more than just bad to me—it actually causes me some physical pain because of my hearing damage.

I currently own a set of 6xx’s, Audeze SINE’s, and LCD-2 closed. However, I’ve sampled a variety of other Sennheiser, Audeze, HifiMan, 1MORE, Advanced Sound, and some brands we shall not speak of. Current DACs include a Klipsch Legacy (sounds great with Klipsch powered monitors and decent with my LCD-2s) and a Spectra portable DAC.

Looking forward to good discussions.

Jul 19, 2019 at 11:38 PM Post #10,339 of 15,585
Hi everyone, I am new here and would like to seek recommendation on headphones. Currently I am thinking about Bose NC700 and Sony WH1000XM3-1000 M3. Which one is better?
One of my friends once said “Bose are great if you want to feel like you’re in a submarine.” I’ve always felt that Bose is great at noise canceling but not much else.

Jul 20, 2019 at 11:18 AM Post #10,341 of 15,585
I just joined.

My current (only) set of headphones: Bowers & Wilkins P5 (Wired), first generation. I don't have any major complaints, but I haven't found them particularly compelling.

My main system: 2011 Mac Mini > Teac NT-503 (DAC/pre/headphone amp) > Class D Audio DIY amps > B&W CM7 > Rel sub

Bedroom: ATV2 > Peachtree Nova > D5 speakers

Work: iMac > Vanatoo transparent one

The first two have headphone amps, which I haven't really taken advantage of. I probably should.

My kid just got a free pair of Beats Studio3 wireless cans bundled with a laptop purchase. I'm curious if these have any merit, despite the label that appears to account for the $350 MSRP. (I know bluetooth is lossy, but within those confines?)

Jul 20, 2019 at 11:58 AM Post #10,342 of 15,585
Better a submarine than a subway, in my case... Are there better options these days?
If you’re looking for a good starting point, go with the Massdrop/Sennheiser HD6xx. They’re a great deal for the sound quality (if you’re not trying to block out noise). If you want more isolation, Sennheiser’s 598Cs aren’t bad either.

Jul 20, 2019 at 4:31 PM Post #10,345 of 15,585
My kid just got a free pair of Beats Studio3 wireless cans bundled with a laptop purchase. I'm curious if these have any merit, despite the label that appears to account for the $350 MSRP. (I know bluetooth is lossy, but within those confines?)

If they were genuinely free and the laptop wasn't overpriced to compensate they were a bargain. I've had the "pleasure" of listening to Studios a couple of times and while they weren't "bad" they were IMO comparable with cans around a third to half the price. $350 is nearly enough to buy a pair of Sennheiser HD6xx AND a pair of HiFiMan HE4xx from the guys at drop. Both are better than the Beats IMO with the caveat that neither are wireless or noise cancelling and both require an amp to really play nicer. But... The beats were free and if your kid is happy then great. Solos on the other hand...

Jul 20, 2019 at 5:57 PM Post #10,346 of 15,585
If they were genuinely free and the laptop wasn't overpriced to compensate they were a bargain. I've had the "pleasure" of listening to Studios a couple of times and while they weren't "bad" they were IMO comparable with cans around a third to half the price. $350 is nearly enough to buy a pair of Sennheiser HD6xx AND a pair of HiFiMan HE4xx from the guys at drop. Both are better than the Beats IMO with the caveat that neither are wireless or noise cancelling and both require an amp to really play nicer. But... The beats were free and if your kid is happy then great. Solos on the other hand...

It is a "back to school" education-discount-linked Apple promotion, so within the confines of Apple-logic, they were free. Whether an entry-level Macbook Pro is worth US$1200 is a different story.

He currently has a pair of relatively inexpensive Sennheiser wired headphones that tend to be fairly neutral. His first impression of these was that they over-emphasize the bass (not exactly a surprise). If they can be made to sound ok with a bit of equalization, it might work out ok.

Jul 20, 2019 at 6:06 PM Post #10,347 of 15,585
Hi folks.
I have PC with Genelec 8020B + subwoofer + Audiotrack soundcard.
Headphones are older Sennheiser HD580. Not using those much because of the wire.

Joined here to seek help with bluetooth tech because I want to walk around the house when others are sleeping.
Preferably looking tech that I can also use wireless microphone of noise cancelling headphones to chat with friends.
No idea how to select best bang for buck bluetooth dongle for my PC.
Prolly getting used BO H9i headphones. Not sure yet.

Thanks for any feedback.

Jul 20, 2019 at 11:18 PM Post #10,348 of 15,585
If you’re looking for a good starting point, go with the Massdrop/Sennheiser HD6xx. They’re a great deal for the sound quality (if you’re not trying to block out noise). If you want more isolation, Sennheiser’s 598Cs aren’t bad either.

How do the 598Cs compare to QC35 in noise isolation? BART is no joke, approaching 100dB in some sections, sustaining 70+ for a good portion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back