New Member Introductions thread
Mar 22, 2019 at 11:54 PM Post #9,736 of 15,649
Hi everyone, looking to dip my toes into the audiophile world for now by treating myself to a set of ~$300 IEMs. I've had multiple IEMs before, the 'best' being the SE215s I've been using for almost two years now. I feel that it's time to upgrade.

I mostly listen to older metal albums (Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, etc.) and synthwave music. (Carpenter Brut and Gunship are favorites) But I can't decide which IEM to get... I've had my eyes set onto the FH5 or FA7, not sure what other options I have in the price range. I've also read about the DM6 but I'm very sensitive to sibilance so I gave it a pass. I'd appreciate any advice, thanks.

Mar 22, 2019 at 11:59 PM Post #9,737 of 15,649
Hi everyone, looking to dip my toes into the audiophile world for now by treating myself to a set of ~$300 IEMs. I've had multiple IEMs before, the 'best' being the SE215s I've been using for almost two years now. I feel that it's time to upgrade.

I mostly listen to older metal albums (Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, etc.) and synthwave music. (Carpenter Brut and Gunship are favorites) But I can't decide which IEM to get... I've had my eyes set onto the FH5 or FA7, not sure what other options I have in the price range. I've also read about the DM6 but I'm very sensitive to sibilance so I gave it a pass. I'd appreciate any advice, thanks.
Welcome!! I would recommend that you start yourself a brand new thread on this board asking for help with your decision. You will get much more traffic there than you will here on this thread, which is mostly just for introductions most of the time. Good luck!! :)

Mar 23, 2019 at 12:36 AM Post #9,739 of 15,649
Good day! Had been interested in earphones and headphones since 10 years ago and was hoping to enhance my listening experience through other people's experiences and later on share mine too. Currently dipping my toes in the IEM world through Chi-Fi IEMs.

Mar 23, 2019 at 5:11 PM Post #9,740 of 15,649
Hello all

Just joined the site

Have mostly been into modding Laserdisc players, the most prestigious is probably my "Goliath" Sony C2ex.
It has probably 50 Black Gates in it, 40 ish in the video/digital secition and a few in the audio part.

Always wanted to squeeze more performance through modding, everything from cars to computers and audio/video equipment.

Looking forward to getting to know the community here

Mar 23, 2019 at 5:28 PM Post #9,741 of 15,649
Hello all

Just joined the site

Have mostly been into modding Laserdisc players, the most prestigious is probably my "Goliath" Sony C2ex.
It has probably 50 Black Gates in it, 40 ish in the video/digital secition and a few in the audio part.

Always wanted to squeeze more performance through modding, everything from cars to computers and audio/video equipment.

Looking forward to getting to know the community here
Welcome, Aleksender!

Mar 23, 2019 at 6:43 PM Post #9,742 of 15,649
(User error or quote-insertion issue ..)

“I almost exclusively listen to Ethereal wave, Dark ambient, Shoegaze, and Neoclassical darkwave.”

For example?
Is there some suck-ass Shoegaze that i should avoid, in favor of ....?
These names intrigue ...

Mar 23, 2019 at 7:38 PM Post #9,743 of 15,649
Hello all - my name is Mike, from North Carolina. Been at the two channel game for quite awhile, tried a set of Sennheiser HD598SR with a Schitt Magni 3 last year and it wasn't my cup of tea.

Fast forward to the end of the year and I picked up a set of HE4XX from Massdrop. Driving them with an Emotiva BASx A-100 and loving it. Primary sources are my SOTA turntable, and a variety of streaming sources running through a RaspberryPi/Allo DigiOne configured to run as a Logitech Squeezebox. Just added a set of Dekoni sheepskin pads to the HE4XX.

Anyway, thanks for having me, looking forward to exploring the site.

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2019 at 2:38 AM Post #9,744 of 15,649
Hey everyone,

I am new to the Audiophile world. Thought I would dip my toes in the water and ended up drowning. I am now obsessed with reading about different audio qualities or new systems, etc...
At the moment I have a pair of ATH-M40X and a Fiio Q1 MK ii DAC/AMP. The headphones are fun but I now know that others are capable of. My next step would possibly be the HE400i by Hifiman. Of course I am always accepting suggestions or offers and am fully aware of the inevitable dent to my wallet.

Cheers

Greetings! Cool to see someone from my old city (ergo the username). Sorry about your wallet

Mar 25, 2019 at 11:09 AM Post #9,745 of 15,649
Hi everyone!

New member, but I've been lurking since 2011. I'm simple, and uneducated when it comes to audio. I own Sennheiser momentum wireless earbuds, Sennheiser momentum 2 over ear, and Arctis Pro gaming headset. My home is filled with a variety of Sonos devices.

I'm actually looking for feedback regarding in-ceiling patio speakers (and possibly some for the inside of my home). I realized I didn't have permission to post in other sections. Just trying to sort out what the best options are for me. I have all sonos devices throughout my home (no amp/connect). I want to add humidity resistant speakers to my outdoor patio ceiling. The dilemma comes from weather I should purchase some Polk speakers and use my crown amp, then a Sonos Connect to tie into my existing system. Or if I should just bite the bullet and purchase a Sonos AMP and Sonance speakers.

Cheers!

Mar 25, 2019 at 12:53 PM Post #9,746 of 15,649
Hello,

Just dropping in. I am novice when it comes to audio. I am currently using a pair of Audio-Technica ATH-M50xs with a set of California Headphone's Silverados collecting dust (cable crapped out and finding a replacement is a nightmare). I am also looking to shell out a bit for a Schitt preamp and DAC at some point. Looking forward to learning a bit more before I jump deeper in.

Mar 25, 2019 at 1:15 PM Post #9,747 of 15,649
Hello,

Just dropping in. I am novice when it comes to audio. I am currently using a pair of Audio-Technica ATH-M50xs with a set of California Headphone's Silverados collecting dust (cable crapped out and finding a replacement is a nightmare). I am also looking to shell out a bit for a Schitt preamp and DAC at some point. Looking forward to learning a bit more before I jump deeper in.

Welcome @ScupltingOwl, jumping deeper means burning money deeper haha :)

Mar 25, 2019 at 4:44 PM Post #9,748 of 15,649
Hi all. I love all things hi-fi, have a pair of Stax SR-009 headphones with a KGST amp and am particularly interested in high-res digital music reproduction and software aspects, being a keen DIYer and software hacker and came to join in the discussion here to share and learn from others.

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2019 at 7:20 PM Post #9,749 of 15,649
Hi. I have been lurking and reading for a while and decided to join in. I have Focal Clears, HD800S and MDR-Z1R cans and a small collection of amps and DACs. I recently picked up secondhand a pair of Stax SR-007 MkIIs and have a Mjolnir KGSSHV Carbon amp in transit. Cheers, Rick.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back