New Member Introductions thread
Jun 1, 2018 at 10:41 AM Post #7,981 of 15,539
Hello friends,

luckily I stumbled across this forum, I like the friendly exchange here, so I signed up.

Currently planned is a reasonable re-entry into the old hobby, a headphone, my first, should also be inclusive.

Cheers

Albert
Welcome! The people here are super friendly, and there's a wealth of information.

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2018 at 10:58 AM Post #7,982 of 15,539
Thanks for the warm welcome!

Yes, the forum is a nice community spread around the world. I love it!

Jun 1, 2018 at 11:22 AM Post #7,983 of 15,539
Hi there! My (real) name is Adriel and I am thankful that this website and forum exist. I have been lurking in the IEM forum for a while and I'm impressed by the knowledge and personal reviews/comment that I'm reading. This made it difficult for me to choose a product to buy. I hope to gain more knowledge from you and have a great time discussing audio.

Jun 1, 2018 at 3:17 PM Post #7,984 of 15,539
Very, very long-time lurker and finally active member here. I guess you could say that 12 years of active duty Navy made sure I went the head-fi route rather than the Hi-Fi one. No regrets, though. I always had the best headphones on the boat :)

Jun 1, 2018 at 11:16 PM Post #7,986 of 15,539
Welcome, folks! Sorry about your wallet, but here are some recommendations to possibly lighten the hurt. If you are looking for a great sub-$200-$300-$400-$700 home headphone system, let me recommend an Audio Technica ATH-AD700X open-back over-ear and Schiit b-stock Magni 2 Headphone amp as a combo for $150! DACs, phono-pre-amps, hardware equalizers, and more with a “b-stock” marking are also available at the Schiit site! Here is where you can get them, read-on for what you need that is based on what media you use:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009S332TQ/ref=psdc_172541_t1_B009S331VU

http://www.schiit.com/b-stocks

For those who use a computer for music: AD700X + Magni 2 + Modi 2 DAC = $230

For those who use want to also use speakers with their computer: AD700X + Magni 2 Uber + Modi 2 DAC = $250

For those who use a turntable without a phono-pre-amp for music: AD700X + Magni 2 + Mani = $250

For those who use a turntable without a phono-pre-amp and want to also use speakers to listen to music : AD700X + Magni 2 Uber + Mani = $270

If you like the above combos, but want a “tubey” sound with a little more “life” or “softness” in your music, change the “Magni 2” option to a “Vali 2” option for $30 or $50 more.

If you like the above combos, but need a hardware equalizer to control any audible peaks or troughs in your sound spectrum, you can add a “Loki Mini” for $129 more.

If you like the above combos, but you will likely will listen to your pre-existing audio system, and want to add the “tubey” sound to add “life” or “softness” to your music, you can add a “Saga” for $299 more.

If you like the above combos, but have very sensitive hearing, you can add a new “Sys” for $49 more, just pick it in the regular Schiit drop-down menu after adding all of your b-stock items in your cart.

If you like the above combos, but have multiple digital sources and want a more versatile DAC, you can add a new “Modi 2 Uber” for $70 more, just pick it in the regular Schiit drop-down menu after adding all of your b-stock items in your cart.

There are other options available on the Schiit that will work with your budget, so check it out and happy listening! :)

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2018 at 1:38 PM Post #7,987 of 15,539
Welcome, folks! Sorry about your wallet, but here are some recommendations to possibly lighten the hurt. If you are looking for a great sub-$200-$300-$400-$700 home headphone system, let me recommend an Audio Technica ATH-AD700X open-back over-ear and Schiit b-stock Magni 2 Headphone amp as a combo for $150! DACs, phono-pre-amps, hardware equalizers, and more with a “b-stock” marking are also available at the Schiit site! Here is where you can get them, read-on for what you need that is based on what media you use:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009S332TQ/ref=psdc_172541_t1_B009S331VU

http://www.schiit.com/b-stocks

For those who use a computer for music: AD700X + Magni 2 + Modi 2 DAC = $230

For those who use want to also use speakers with their computer: AD700X + Magni 2 Uber + Modi 2 DAC = $250

For those who use a turntable without a phono-pre-amp for music: AD700X + Magni 2 + Mani = $250

For those who use a turntable without a phono-pre-amp and want to also use speakers to listen to music : AD700X + Magni 2 Uber + Mani = $270

If you like the above combos, but want a “tubey” sound with a little more “life” or “softness” in your music, change the “Magni 2” option to a “Vali 2” option for $30 or $50 more.

If you like the above combos, but need a hardware equalizer to control any audible peaks or troughs in your sound spectrum, you can add a “Loki Mini” for $129 more.

If you like the above combos, but you will likely will listen to your pre-existing audio system, and want to add the “tubey” sound to add “life” or “softness” to your music, you can add a “Saga” for $299 more.

If you like the above combos, but have very sensitive hearing, you can add a new “Sys” for $49 more, just pick it in the regular Schiit drop-down menu after adding all of your b-stock items in your cart.

If you like the above combos, but have multiple digital sources and want a more versatile DAC, you can add a new “Modi 2 Uber” for $70 more, just pick it in the regular Schiit drop-down menu after adding all of your b-stock items in your cart.

There are other options available on the Schiit that will work with your budget, so check it out and happy listening! :)

Hey @pbui44,

I saw your post & checked the Schiit link out of curiosity. Holy cow !!! 5 minutes later & I was the proud owner of a Schiit Magni 2 Uber... At that price how the hell could I pass it up.
Almost cried when I saw the cost of shipping it to the Uk but thought "in for a penny, in for a pound" & pulled the trigger on a Magni 2 Uber + 3 days shipping (UK). Deal cost me $110.92 (reality= £83.11 GBP).

The only down side to this deal that I can see is the fact that I gotta wait until Wednesday to get this beast (compared to my current daily headphone amp = SMSL sAp VI) in my hands.

My Playback chain (A term I learned here, Thanx peeps) will be as follows...

1. PC optical out to Coax Converter (0% audible noise) > DIY DAC (AD827SQ Burr Brown OP Amp) > DIY Tube Pre-Amp (self sourced 6N1P-EV Voskhod Rocket OTK NOS 1974 (gain matched pair) > Magni 2 Uber > Hifiman HE400i+350i/Superlux 668B+669/BeyerDynamic Quart 55x/AKG K92/Audio Technica ATH-M40X + Any additional headphone aquisition along the way.

I will use the pre out on the Magni 2 when I add a speaker amp & Monitors to my PC rig audio (you know, for when the neighbors P*ss me off)...

I'll revisit this post after the Magni 2 is delivered & in place to leave feedback on my listening impressions with my given setup. Also to receive any recommendations regarding the same...

Thanx once again @pbui44 for such an awesome link & advice. This is why we all joined Head-Fi in the first place...

Stay Breezy n Be Lucky...

Jun 2, 2018 at 2:02 PM Post #7,989 of 15,539
Hey @pbui44,

I saw your post & checked the Schiit link out of curiosity. Holy cow !!! 5 minutes later & I was the proud owner of a Schiit Magni 2 Uber... At that price how the hell could I pass it up.
Almost cried when I saw the cost of shipping it to the Uk but thought "in for a penny, in for a pound" & pulled the trigger on a Magni 2 Uber + 3 days shipping (UK). Deal cost me $110.92 (reality= £83.11 GBP).

The only down side to this deal that I can see is the fact that I gotta wait until Wednesday to get this beast (compared to my current daily headphone amp = SMSL sAp VI) in my hands.

My Playback chain (A term I learned here, Thanx peeps) will be as follows...

1. PC optical out to Coax Converter (0% audible noise) > DIY DAC (AD827SQ Burr Brown OP Amp) > DIY Tube Pre-Amp (self sourced 6N1P-EV Voskhod Rocket OTK NOS 1974 (gain matched pair) > Magni 2 Uber > Hifiman HE400i+350i/Superlux 668B+669/BeyerDynamic Quart 55x/AKG K92/Audio Technica ATH-M40X + Any additional headphone aquisition along the way.

I will use the pre out on the Magni 2 when I add a speaker amp & Monitors to my PC rig audio (you know, for when the neighbors P*ss me off)...

I'll revisit this post after the Magni 2 is delivered & in place to leave feedback on my listening impressions with my given setup. Also to receive any recommendations regarding the same...

Thanx once again @pbui44 for such an awesome link & advice. This is why we all joined Head-Fi in the first place...

Hey @ReaperXL2 , congrats on your purchase, just make sure you get a transformer, as what you bought is 115V US, here:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/MSKJ-220V-...ransformer&dpPl=1&dpID=41rif6vTaML&ref=plSrch

Considering how good the Magni 2 Uber is, you probably still saved a lot of money and space in the long-run. Plus, you can also get good deals on used US-based DACs and amps in the future with the above-linked transformer, which will save you even more money in the long run, too. Just remember to have the seller declare a nominal value on it. BTW, extra thanks for the greeting. :L3000:

Hey, I'm Tom. I've been slowly getting into high end audio for years now. I'm not in super deep. I still have a lot to learn, especially on the technical side. Looking to go further down this rabbit hole. Hoping for some advice/tips etc.
:slight_smile:

Hi Tom, welcome to Head-Fi and my present and future condolences to your wallet.:)

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2018 at 2:46 PM Post #7,990 of 15,539
Hey @ReaperXL2 , congrats on your purchase, just make sure you get a transformer, as what you bought is 115V US, here:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/MSKJ-220V-...ransformer&dpPl=1&dpID=41rif6vTaML&ref=plSrch

Considering how good the Magni 2 Uber is, you probably still saved a lot of money and space in the long-run. Plus, you can also get good deals on used US-based DACs and amps in the future with the above-linked transformer, which will save you even more money in the long run, too. Just remember to have the seller declare a nominal value on it. BTW, extra thanks for the greeting. :L3000:

Hi Tom, welcome to Head-Fi and my present and future condolences to your wallet.:)

Hey Dude,

Saved me some tears in the coming days with that last link.

Regards the transformer, is it needed to be 500 watts or would 200 be sufficient? The higher is not a problem btw...

Jun 2, 2018 at 3:33 PM Post #7,991 of 15,539
Hey Dude,

Saved me some tears in the coming days with that last link.

Regards the transformer, is it needed to be 500 watts or would 200 be sufficient? The higher is not a problem btw...

200W is fine for the Magni 2, but more is better, especially when you are upgrading or wanting to use the transformer for something else. There is a 2000W version for £49 at Amazon UK, but that is really for a huge server you bought from the US, so the 500W should handle almost any headphone setup, probably even a Yggdrasil->BHSE->SR009 setup!

Jun 2, 2018 at 5:49 PM Post #7,992 of 15,539
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Hello everyone! My name is Al and I just started to make my own CIEM's. Here is my 2nd attempt....

Jun 3, 2018 at 12:27 AM Post #7,993 of 15,539
Hey guys, I am new to this headset and audiophile world,

I just ordered a HD6xx and want to get and DAC/AMP for my headsets.

Currently I am looking into the Schiit stack or O2+ODAC.

However I live in Canada and I couldn't get them without getting penalized by the exchange rate and import fees :frowning2:

I am looking for someone in Toronto area that are selling used or brand new DAC/AMP combo

Users who are viewing this thread

Back