New Member Introductions thread
Jun 7, 2018 at 1:20 PM Post #8,012 of 15,577
Hi all!

I grew up with NAD amps and Genesis 2 speakers in the late 70s, just getting around to poking at some newer audio equipment. I came across this forum looking for intelligent information on the Benjie T6 DAP, glad I found it - a friendly forum, with a lot of knowledgeable people willing to share their insights ☺

I'm looking at a pair of Sennheiser HD 4.50 BTNC headphones to use with the T6 at work and on travel, hopefully they'll be a good match.
@Markfm if you haven't purchased the Sennheisers please make sure you can return them, or try for an extended period. I found after an hour they were unwearable due to being almost on-ear rather than over.

Jun 7, 2018 at 1:36 PM Post #8,013 of 15,577
@Markfm if you haven't purchased the Sennheisers please make sure you can return them, or try for an extended period. I found after an hour they were unwearable due to being almost on-ear rather than over.

Thanks!

After reading some similar comments, I ended up going with a pair of AKG N60 NC. I've found the AKG's really enjoyable, use them hours daily in the office as well as outdoors (things like listening to music while mowing the grass).

I also picked up a pair of Aftershokz Trekz Air recently, for my wife. Good enough sound for her use (background music when doing outdoor chores like gardening), while very comfortable and able to hear what's going on around her.

Jun 8, 2018 at 11:57 AM Post #8,016 of 15,577
Trying to break away from bad audio IN gaming is tough to do.... Sadly sound in audio has not even remotely caught up with graphics.

What games are you playing right now? What headphones you using for gaming?

Overwatch, Ghost Recon, Farcry 5 and the occasional Cod/Battfield. I was using the Arctis 7 but i just picked up the Philips SHP9500s and I have to say I have been underwhelmed based on what I've read. I definitely need something with more bass and havent figured out what to try next. I might try the BeyerDynamics 770 or 990's. Also was considering Audio Technica M40x or 50's. I have a cheap dac/amp i picked up from amazon so i can try some harder to push stuff.
I'm playing a ton of PUBG right now and when I don't feel like compleltly stressing out I play God of War. I am using the HD800 for gaming and for me its the tops.

With what your using now that is not a bad option for a gaming can (I used it for a gaming can my self for while). If you are looking for more bass definitely check out the Meze 99 Classics $300 or the Meze 99 Neo $200. Both I could see being VERY enjoyable for gaming, and they would make great headphones for general listening as well. Check out the thread on them or youtube videos.

I like Beyer cans but only a select few. The Beryer T1 person 2 is my favorite and then next would be the Amiron. Both are about $500 so not sure what your budget is. The other Beyers I heard were a little too sharp for my ears, but once again its all personal preference.

Hope you have fun here, and I quoted your one sentence in bold font because I could not agree more...

Hit me up on PM if you want any more suggestions!
-Craig

I've been thinking only about headphones for the past few days or weeks, it's time to make myself known on a forum like this. Practicality is making me cut corners with HD600, Elear and so on, but am looking for a TOTL end game probably stax in the near future. With a little bit of luck I'd consider even Orpheus 2 a bargain. Will let you know how it goes.
Have you heard the Focal Utopia yet? I think that is the best dynamic headphone out. It gets close to the speed of electrostats but is able to keep that weight behind the music. Check it out if you have a hifi store that carries Focal.
Want to introduce myself also, own a humble grado 60 set of phones. Got lots to learn before I decide how to upgrade.
humble but great! I'm a big fan of the sr80e. You started at a very good can I feel. I like the to refer the sr80e as the "gateway drug" of being an audiophile. Forget where I heard that but I think its a perfect description of them.:blush:

I would just think about what you like and dislike about the sr60e and then try to convey that to people in a new thread. they could probably direct your to something else that would be what your looking for. Also if you have a high end shop to be able to listen to new cans your self that is obviously the best way to go about hearing new sound!

Have fun
-Craig
Very, very long-time lurker and finally active member here. I guess you could say that 12 years of active duty Navy made sure I went the head-fi route rather than the Hi-Fi one. No regrets, though. I always had the best headphones on the boat :)
First off thank you for serving!

Second- how cool is it to play music for people and have their eyes open up and have that "wow" expression on their face? Tons of people don't realize how great music can sound.

Hello everyone! My name is Al and I just started to make my own CIEM's. Here is my 2nd attempt....
so cool!! You taking existing drivers and putting them in new bodies, or are you making the drivers as well?
Hi guys!

I’ve always been a big tech nerd. Just graduated college and looking to learn more about audio. Once a mod has given me the go ahead I’m excited to get a question answered about my computer audio setup!!

- Chandler
Congrats on graduating, that is such a great feeling...

feel free to ask your question here, you might have someone here who could help you.
Hello everyone,

I'm fairly new to the high-end headphone scene but I have been a mild enthusiast for the last few years. I don't have much for gear but I am looking to upgrade later this year so recommendations are more than welcome.

I'd like to personally thank Jude for introducing me to this website, I've only just scratched the surface of this site but I can already tell there's much for me to learn here. Also, I'd like to thank the guys here at head-fi.org for being so cool and welcoming at the head-fi meet up last weekend in Michigan. They were funny, instructional and encouraging throughout the duration of the meet up. You can be certain I'll be stopping by again for the next meet up.

My current gear is an old pair of Sony XB-500's that I've had for several years now and a pair of AKG IEM's that came with my phone. I plan on purchasing some KZ zs 6's soon but I'm still looking for some good closed back over the ear headphones for the future.

Looking forward to hearing from you all,

Liquid

Wow I bet that was a great time... Very cool you got to meet everyone and see who runs the site! You should try to make it to a CanJam some time. Always a great time, and tons of wonderful people to share with.:relaxed::metal:

Jun 8, 2018 at 4:00 PM Post #8,017 of 15,577
Have you heard the Focal Utopia yet? I think that is the best dynamic headphone out. It gets close to the speed of electrostats but is able to keep that weight behind the music. Check it out if you have a hifi store that carries Focal.
Listened to the Clears for the first time today. Really liked them and although my country is too small to have a market for the Utopias, from what I've read so far it seems like that is my next stop, plus it pairs nicely with WM1A. If they sound like clear just clearer I will absolutely love them.

I just don't know if any dynamic headphones can do justice to vocals. I love the HD800 sound, but the vocals are lacking something, some layer to the sound that would be there on speakers. Really liked the HEX for vocals. Never heard electrostats yet. I hear new stax headphone is gonna be coming out but with a totl amp these are way out of my league temporarily :wink:))

Jun 8, 2018 at 4:33 PM Post #8,018 of 15,577
Hi All...longtime committed audiophile, but relatively new to high-end portable audio. For example, my home rig consists of, amongst other things, a McIntosh MHA100 headphone amp and Audeze LCD-3's.
I'm now turning my attention to portable, like I said above, so will be posting for some feedback on high-end standalone players, outboard dac-amps, and IEM's/CIEM's.
Your feedback is welcome, and I look forward forward to being part of the community :)

Jun 8, 2018 at 6:30 PM Post #8,019 of 15,577
Hello. M. Fred here.. In case you may know i'm a new audiophile as well as a newbie to Hi-Res audio systems (both portable and home). Although i embraced FLAC audio like around 10 years ago.

FYI my home rig is just simple.. A Sony BDP-S580 home theatre system connected to my JBL K2 speakers via my home theatre's external amp (it can output 5.1 DTS Surround as well as DPL II), and for portable use i just use my Sony Xperia T2 Ultra with my Huawei CM33 Hi-Res semi IEMs - which is surprisingly better than a Xiaomi Piston 2. I know this may sound entry-level in terms of headphone selection, but yeah, i'm currently on a budget so i can't complain much tho.

For now i'll focus on searching better performing IEMs or full size headphones, and maybe finding a replacement to my home theatre's amp. (like a Vitus or McIntosh)

I hope you guys will welcome me into the community with open hands, and guide me with new things that a newbie should know :dt880smile::fingers_crossed:

~ Fred

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2018 at 10:17 PM Post #8,020 of 15,577
Hi All...longtime committed audiophile, but relatively new to high-end portable audio. For example, my home rig consists of, amongst other things, a McIntosh MHA100 headphone amp and Audeze LCD-3's.
I'm now turning my attention to portable, like I said above, so will be posting for some feedback on high-end standalone players, outboard dac-amps, and IEM's/CIEM's.
Your feedback is welcome, and I look forward forward to being part of the community :)
Welcome aboard, @DMRube!! Nice avatar. Super sorry about your wallet, though... ---)

Jun 8, 2018 at 10:24 PM Post #8,021 of 15,577
Hello. M. Fred here.. In case you may know i'm a new audiophile as well as a newbie to Hi-Res audio systems (both portable and home). Although i embraced FLAC audio like around 10 years ago.

FYI my home rig is just simple.. A Sony BDP-S580 home theatre system connected to my JBL K2 S9900 speakers via my home theatre's external amp (it can output 5.1 DTS Surround as well as DPL II), and for portable use i just use my Sony Xperia T2 Ultra with my Huawei CM33 Hi-Res semi IEMs - which is surprisingly better than a Xiaomi Piston 2. I know this may sound entry-level in terms of headphone selection, but yeah, i'm currently on a budget so i can't complain much tho.

For now i'll focus on searching better performing IEMs or full size headphones, and maybe finding a replacement to my home theatre's amp. (like a Vitus or McIntosh)

I hope you guys will welcome me into the community with open hands, and guide me with new things that a newbie should know :dt880smile::fingers_crossed:

~ Fred
Welcome to Head-fi, Fred!! This is a great place to learn and people will be very welcoming, I assure you. All the best--

@serman005

Jun 8, 2018 at 11:25 PM Post #8,022 of 15,577
Thanks! The drivers are Knowles GV-32830's. The shells are self made, as well as the faceplates. It was my second attempt. I'm currenty looking for suggestions on other driver combinations. As I use these while playing drums, they have to be powerful and have kickin' low end. The GVs sound great, however, I'm wondering if the next pair could be even better.

Jun 9, 2018 at 10:41 AM Post #8,023 of 15,577
Hi everyone! I’m Alessandro, from Italy.

I have a confession to make: I have lurked here for a very long time, I hope you’ll forgive me.

So, a short introduction: I’m currently an undergraduate taking a MSc in Milan. I play piano and consider myself as an audio enthusiast without the resources to be an audiophile (yet). I’m also into computers and electronics in general, and love fountain pens.
That’s pretty much it about me, and half of what I said isn’t even audio related.

I'm into all kinds of music minus rap and the "heaviest" rock and electro subgenres. I particularly enjoy classical, but I've never enjoyed listening to it at home, probably due to the obvious limitations of my equipment.

Talking about equipment, my current “starving student” (I’d make that amp for the name alone) setup is a 1st gen. Asus Essence STX sound card upgraded, after a few different models, with LME49860NA opamps.
I’m a headphone guy, and I’ve recently upgraded my aging AKG K242HD cans with a pair of Sennheiser HD6XX. I wasn’t done saving up for the HD650 (around ~300€ here), when I discovered the HD6XX were the exact same model at a price I could already afford.

My first post will likely be one asking for help, as I’m planning to move on with my setup and really need some suggestions about how to proceed.

Glad to (finally) be here!
— Alessandro

Jun 9, 2018 at 12:47 PM Post #8,024 of 15,577
Hi everyone! I’m Alessandro, from Italy.

I have a confession to make: I have lurked here for a very long time, I hope you’ll forgive me.

So, a short introduction: I’m currently an undergraduate taking a MSc in Milan. I play piano and consider myself as an audio enthusiast without the resources to be an audiophile (yet). I’m also into computers and electronics in general, and love fountain pens.
That’s pretty much it about me, and half of what I said isn’t even audio related.

I'm into all kinds of music minus rap and the "heaviest" rock and electro subgenres. I particularly enjoy classical, but I've never enjoyed listening to it at home, probably due to the obvious limitations of my equipment.

Talking about equipment, my current “starving student” (I’d make that amp for the name alone) setup is a 1st gen. Asus Essence STX sound card upgraded, after a few different models, with LME49860NA opamps.
I’m a headphone guy, and I’ve recently upgraded my aging AKG K242HD cans with a pair of Sennheiser HD6XX. I wasn’t done saving up for the HD650 (around ~300€ here), when I discovered the HD6XX were the exact same model at a price I could already afford.

My first post will likely be one asking for help, as I’m planning to move on with my setup and really need some suggestions about how to proceed.

Glad to (finally) be here!
— Alessandro

You are the Alessandro??? Maker of the MS-1, MS-2, and MS-Pro???:floatsmile:

Welcome to Head-fi, and sorry about your wallet. :blush:

As for moving on from your current setup, the most obvious choice is a Sennheiser HD800(S), but for a DAC/Amp, I think the Topping DX7S is a great choice with unbalanced/balanced outputs and is $499 US on Aliexpress. Plus, you can get an XLR cable for at least $70 from ZY Cables.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back