New Member Introductions thread
Apr 30, 2018 at 8:47 AM Post #7,847 of 15,585
Hello head-fiers! Been hanging around for a while and decided it was time to join in the fun. I’m a recently-divorced 52 year old guy. Back in the 80s, I was a real hound for music and audio equipment but life has a way of limiting those sorts of endeavours and through the 90s I gradually moved away from the hobby. Now though, I find my free time is totally my own to manage and i’m back i’ve re-discovered the appeal of the weird and obsessive world of audiophilia...:beyersmile: However, as i’m now inhabiting a 2br apartment, i’ve moved from big systems to headphones - something I only had a passing interest in bitd.

Apr 30, 2018 at 10:33 AM Post #7,849 of 15,585
Hi everyone! I got lot of information from here and decided to join. I have fostex th00 and t50p mkiii. I read some great things about lcd2c but I also need a good amp dac too....what should i get first? a good amp or lcd2c....hummm... maybe i will get both:darthsmile:

Apr 30, 2018 at 7:35 PM Post #7,852 of 15,585
Hello, my name is Mat
Im just starting to get into good headphones and sound
ive always loved good sound and want to get a good set of headphones
Im looking for 2 things in them.. good sound and good positional.. i love when a song seems to surround you and moves
problem i have is partially deaf in one ear :frowning2: other ear makes up for it tho :)
Would love some recomendations
computer compatiable is needed cause thats currently where all my music is kept (have a new good rig with best parts i could find)
Thanks Mat

May 1, 2018 at 8:33 AM Post #7,853 of 15,585
Hey, I'm Nathan.
I'm relatively new to the audio thing. Started off with a pair of Beats Pros (cringe).
I upgraded to the Sennheiser HD558, then jumped up to the HD800 with a Little Dot MKII. Swapped the LD out for a Woo WA6SE and eagerly awaiting my new Princess 274B. I've also had a Colorfly C4 for as long as I've had those Beats.

May 1, 2018 at 1:42 PM Post #7,854 of 15,585
Hi, I'm James, I live in London and I'm in a bit of a pickle

I assume this is the graveyard section of the forum, the one section no one ever reads, but for the sake of convention...here goes.....

I'm old enough to have once owned a Roksan vinyl set up (sadly with Radius rather than Xerxes at it's core), but let that go some time ago (it now enjoys a full, loud and proud retirement with a new and appreciative audience of sheep farmers at the foot of some bucolic rambling Welsh Hillside) due to living in an ever more densely populated City where neighbours aren't as accommodating/forgiving as they once were (my bad, have never considered headphones as musical equal to good speakers until extremely recently :frowning2: ). Wasted a few years since with compressed blandness and suffered for it. Then one day, just a few weeks ago, decided enough was enough and that same afternoon found myself owning an Astell & Kern Ak70 Mkii and a pair of Sennheiser ie80s iem's. I thought that would be the end of it, but, well you know the rest......

May 1, 2018 at 8:02 PM Post #7,855 of 15,585
Hi, I'm James, I live in London and I'm in a bit of a pickle

I assume this is the graveyard section of the forum, the one section no one ever reads, but for the sake of convention...here goes.....

I'm old enough to have once owned a Roksan vinyl set up (sadly with Radius rather than Xerxes at it's core), but let that go some time ago (it now enjoys a full, loud and proud retirement with a new and appreciative audience of sheep farmers at the foot of some bucolic rambling Welsh Hillside) due to living in an ever more densely populated City where neighbours aren't as accommodating/forgiving as they once were (my bad, have never considered headphones as musical equal to good speakers until extremely recently :frowning2: ). Wasted a few years since with compressed blandness and suffered for it. Then one day, just a few weeks ago, decided enough was enough and that same afternoon found myself owning an Astell & Kern Ak70 Mkii and a pair of Sennheiser ie80s iem's. I thought that would be the end of it, but, well you know the rest......
Welcome aboard, @melons!! People most assuredly read this thread, just so you know. That is a nice setup you have, btw. Alas--we are all very sorry about your wallet...---)

May 2, 2018 at 10:59 AM Post #7,856 of 15,585
Hello all!

About me:
I work in IT, software engineering, which is building and maintaining custom applications. Skillset ranges from mainframe legacy systems to more modern web, Salesforce and phone apps. I've been in this business for over 20 years.
I'm also a professional photographer, starting my business in 2008. I shoot sports, portraits, events and weddings. I use Nikon and Olympus cameras.

Now, the relevant stuff!!
I've lurked here for a while, but decided I should start to participate as I believe in a "pay-it-forward" model. If the community gives to me, I need to give back.

I'm the Production Leader for my church, which includes Lighting, visual media (projected images, slides and video), as well as sound engineering.
Years ago, I had a set of Sennheiser over ear cans (can't remember the model anymore) that I used with a FiiO E6 amp. Those were both destroyed in a flood back in 2004. Since then, I picked up and used to death Sennheiser PX100 II for portable use. After those died a few years ago, I was able to get a good deal on some Sol Republic in ear(Shadow wireless) and on ears (Tracks HD).

The tracks HD are OK and decent for casual use at work and I used the Shadows for workouts, but I've gone through 3 pairs, 2 for the right earbud going out and the last pair is no longer holding a charge.

So, my wife, being awesome - got me a set of the Bose Soundsport Free. They are great for what they are, and work surprisingly well...but it stirred in me the desire to get something better again like I had with the Sennheisers.

My audiophilia knowledge is very newbie, so please I ask for patience as I try my best to understand the concepts.

One of the biggest issues with headphones is the fact that you can really only make decisions on what is best for you by listening to them. There are really no places outside of GuitarCenter near me that have demo models and I'm not the kind of person that buys 5 pairs of cans from Amazon and return the ones that I don't like.

So, off I went to Guitar Center. I tried everything they had...Yamaha, Sennheiser, Sony, Beyerdynamic, V-Moda, Audio Technica.

They did not have the Sennheisers I wanted to try, the HD-600 series. Out of all they had, I really liked the Audio Technica M50x and the Beyerdynamic DT-770 and DT-990. I thought the DT-770 were too muddy for me, and DT-990, while very detailed had a lot of very sharp highs that made me uncomfortable. The Audio Technica M50x just seemed to be a great overall fit.

My music is all over the place and I listen to just about everything from Classical, punk, rock, metal, EDM, and rap/R&B. The only genre I don't is Country. From the sampling choices I had, the M50x just seemed to be the best choice right now.
My PC has a garbage audio card, so I am getting a FiiO E10k today to help maximize the sound quality coming into the cans.

Since the bulk of my music is rock/metal, I've heard a lot of great things about the Grado SR80e, so have them coming today as well.

I figure a good start into this is the AT M50x, Grado SR80e and the FiiO e10k.

Looking forward to participating and learning even more from this great community.

Andrew (gryphon1911)

Last edited:
May 2, 2018 at 11:30 AM Post #7,857 of 15,585
Hey @gryphon1911 & folks! Hope all is well...

Hello all!

About me:
I work in IT, software engineering, which is building and maintaining custom applications. Skillset ranges from mainframe legacy systems to more modern web, Salesforce and phone apps. I've been in this business for over 20 years.
I'm also a professional photographer, starting my business in 2008. I shoot sports, portraits, events and weddings. I use Nikon and Olympus cameras.

Andrew (gryphon1911)

Holy smokes... quite a "small world"... I'm also an IT guy, but more of a systems/servers oriented... I also do have a passion for photography/videography/food/biking/etc... and of course, music! :) Wondering if what brings "art and technology" together is the thing that makes it all this appealing... :)

I also have been venturing with professional photography/videography, some of my stuff can be seen here: www.edmaruyama.com I have even worked with some live-streaming projects as I think I can put together the art/cinematography along with the techie stuff of encoding/streaming/hosting/etc...

Anyways, life brings us challenges & turns, so I am currently working (day job wise) with IT along with my side "passion" activities... Yep, also a Nikon & Olympus shooter with quite a cool collection of lenses... and music lover, hence this forum... Been using Grado & Beyerdynamic headphones along with Schiit's goodies and KEF speakers... :)

Anyways... it's interesting to see lots of photographers into "audio" scene... Ken Rockwell and Steve Huff are two that "rings" the bell... and I am sure there are many others...

I am sure this will be "offtopic", but let's continue chatting via private msgs or another thread... as it is quite interesting combo for me... :)

Cheers!

May 2, 2018 at 12:30 PM Post #7,858 of 15,585
Hello Head-Fi users,

New member here after lurking for a while after getting back on the headphone bandwagon. Enjoying the trip so far.

Any tips on upgrade tubes for Icon Audio HP8ii?

Thanks in advance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back