New Member Introductions thread
May 21, 2017 at 2:16 PM Post #5,644 of 15,519
Hey Fellas,

I'm new here as well. I've been a lurker over on the /r/headphones subreddit and recently started getting into hifi audio. Currently rocking a pair of HiFiman HE-560 and a Schiit Uber Stack (Magni 2u/Modi 2u)

I want to learn more and experience more of the hifi world.

May 21, 2017 at 2:34 PM Post #5,645 of 15,519
Hey Fellas,

I'm new here as well. I've been a lurker over on the /r/headphones subreddit and recently started getting into hifi audio. Currently rocking a pair of HiFiman HE-560 and a Schiit Uber Stack (Magni 2u/Modi 2u)

I want to learn more and experience more of the hifi world.

Welcome @BuddhaBruce! So sorry about your wallet... ---)

May 21, 2017 at 11:16 PM Post #5,650 of 15,519
Howdy. I'm pretty new to the headphone game. I've always been a loudspeaker man--but with a new young family and a wife that doesn't share my musical tastes - - headphones it is. My first were Phillips cityscapes then Koss Porta-pros, and finally the Phillips shp9500(love em! Super comfortable). Then the Trinity Hyperion as my first non crap bud iem. Now I just preordered the Trinity Icarus IV and I(Holy cow the drama there... Fun to read) . This is a serious hobby. Quite the rabbit hole this. I'm excited to be a part of your community. Thank our. And now for the portable amplification search.

May 22, 2017 at 2:40 AM Post #5,652 of 15,519
Do you think HE 400 and HE 400i are different enough to own together. I find the HE-400i a bit recessed in mid/low bass and missing the hits. With HE400 refurbs selling for $200 at the Hifiman store, was contemplating getting them. Whats your thought?

Hi daySpring,
Thank you for your question about HE400 vs He400i.

IMHO, I believe the He400 and He400i are somewhat different especially in the bass, and treble areas. The He400 has amazing bass compared to He400i but also more intense treble, which some like, as it is more of a fun headphone with certain music genre's. I believe it is called V shaped sound signature. I also think the He400i is a technically better sounding headphone......

The reason I upgraded to the He400i was for a more relaxed listen, and with much improved comfort vs He400. I tackled the reduction in bass with using restored and modified vintage amps, that provide good bass, with ample headroom on the He400i. And against what most on this site would recommend, I use those old vintage amp tone controls, especially the loudness control to give the He400i that "fun headphone" sound when I feel I need that type of music, at the push of a button!!!

It does give the He400i that bass hit similar to the He400, maybe not to the same level though. Still learning the ropes on identifying and articulating sound differences of headphones and audio gear. Having said all that, I am looking at Audeze LCD2 as my next adventure, with its renowned bass and smooth planer sound. Comfort is a concern though.

My He400's don't get very much headtime at all these days :frowning2:
Purely because of above flexibility in my amps to change the He400i sound depending on my mood and genre of music etc. If I didn't have that flexibility I would use both in similar amounts of headtime. (relaxed listening vs fun)

I hope I answered your question??

Cheers Marc

May 22, 2017 at 7:45 AM Post #5,653 of 15,519
Hey guys,

Just a quick introduction. Been lurking here for a long time and love this forum as a resource for researching new products.

In the process of setting up a new 2 channel setup consisting of Monitor Audio Platinum PL100ii's, Musical Fidelity M6Si and Auralic Vega DAC.

Following a bunch of articles in the DAC forum and finding so many I would love to try!

Andy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back