New Member Introductions thread
Feb 1, 2016 at 10:21 AM Post #3,107 of 15,533
Hello guys,

I've opened a Pandorra box, which called Hi-fi audio and now look forward to having new experience listening records I used to love all my life. I've got some DAC, receiver, speakers and headphones.
I listen various music styles, from death metal to classic. like applying custom improvements on the hardware. Hope to get a lot of fun

Feb 1, 2016 at 12:50 PM Post #3,109 of 15,533
  Thanks. I would love to audition them at some point. I live in the boonies though (the wilds of Maine), at least three hours beyond where occasional Best Buys sometimes give way to audio (ahem) "salons."

Anyone know a good online source for Stax gear?

PriceJapan.com is well known for having STAX headphones and amps at very good prices.

Feb 2, 2016 at 10:41 AM Post #3,112 of 15,533
Hello! I'm the new guy. I have a bunch of questions regarding DACs. Hope I will be allowed to post them in the proper channel soon
wink.gif
Thank you!

Feb 2, 2016 at 6:56 PM Post #3,114 of 15,533
Howdy, new to the forums as well... looks like I arrived just in time for CanJam SoCal edition in Los Angeles... 
which is somewhat strange, since it seems like there's no shops in LA with high end cans???

Anyway, love the community, glad to be a part.. 

Feb 2, 2016 at 7:39 PM Post #3,115 of 15,533

Ultimately, my quest is (a) to get as close as possible to the sound of the Martin Logan electrostatic speakers I knew and loved so well, coupled with some serious, tuneful, Velodyne-esque bottom-end slam; and (b) to find a head-fi setup that places a big soundstage more or less in front of me, rather than in my head.

What I have now does (a) very well but (b) hardly at all. The yet-to-arrive Hifiman HE-1000s may change the game. Fingers crossed.

Oh, and hello! :wink:

Welcome... while my plethora of wallet emptying gear doesn't quite match yours (yet). I'm also on the search for your a & b.  I'm not convinced B is totally possible, but can come close?  I suspect that happens to have a lot to do with the recording and mastering of a given album / track as much as the equipment your are listening too.  There are some Binaural recordings that are pretty darn amazing and DO place things in front me with a pair of headphones, but must stuff just isn't recorded this way.  I'd love to know if you ever find something that works for you exactly as you are picturing in your mind.

Feb 3, 2016 at 4:57 PM Post #3,117 of 15,533
So, then I'm going to abuse this thread for my introduction, too 
dt880smile.png

To be honest it's a little bit intimidating to become an active member, everywhere you look people with a plethora of awesome headphones, and oneself just owning some basic stuff ^^
But I'm going to try anyway!
For a long time I've been very happy with my Sennheiser HD 555, but after well over ten years of use they started to fall apart and I had to decide if to repair them or try something new. So I stumbled upon Head-Fi. After a lot of consideration a quite nice offer on ebay got me the AKG Q701 for a nice price, which of course let to the necessity of getting an amp to drive them right ^^ 
Furthermore I tried various IEMs over the years to listen to my music while commuting, lately I discovered the convenience of bluetooth Headphones and after trying many Bluetooth Headphones ended up with the AKG K845 which are the best bt headphones I heard to date.
As one can see by the brands I chose I have a very teutonic taste, perhaps because I'm german? ^^
To complete my introduction, a little List of gear:
- Sennheiser HD555
- AKG Q701
- AKG K845
- TDK IE-800
- FiiO E18
My next purchases will be probably a Schiit stack with Vali 2 (just because tubes look cool xD) and a Sennheiser HD650.

PS: Don't fear for my HD555, of course I will overhaul them! How could I part with the phones which served me well for over 10 years and still do so, except for worn earpads and cable which was caught too often between the floor and my desk chair :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back