New Member Introductions thread
Jan 30, 2016 at 11:30 AM Post #3,091 of 15,551
Hello,

My name is Sean and I've been interested in audio related products for quite some time. I was first interested in Home Theater Audio products such as power amplifiers, DACs, processors, room correction software, and floor standing speakers. However, due to the fact that i am living in an apartment, my needs have shifted my interest to headphones and its no longer realistic to have the Home Theater type of setup. 

I've since shifted my interest to tube amplifiers when I attended the Montreal Audio Show and discovered Woo Audio amplifiers. I purchased the Woo Audio WA2 at the show for my Beyerdynamic T70 headphones because I read they pair very well with OTL style amplifiers. From there I upgraded to the Beyerdynamic T1 headphones, and purchased a Schiit Bifrost DAC. I then shifted to a fully balanced setup and upgraded to the Woo Audio WA22 with the Schiit Gungnir. After auditioning the Sennheiser HD800 I chose to switch from my Beyerdynamic T1s and I personally prefer the sound pairing of the HD800 with the WA22. 

With all of that behind me I've moved on to refining the sound of my gear by tube rolling, isolating vibration, and upgrading Cables. Those upgrades have changed the sound more significantly than I was expecting. 

Which leaves me here interested in learning more and helping others make choices.

Regards, 
Sean 

Jan 30, 2016 at 5:12 PM Post #3,092 of 15,551
Hello, Im a new member, and Im joining this page expecting to learn more on audio, specifically on headphones, which is a major hobby to me. Im also an enthusiast and have a lot of experience in other themes such as chess and dog breeding. Im a med student and a fireman. Hope to get along with all of you guys, and feel free to PM me.

Jan 30, 2016 at 5:46 PM Post #3,093 of 15,551
Hello, Im a new member, and Im joining this page expecting to learn more on audio, specifically on headphones, which is a major hobby to me. Im also an enthusiast and have a lot of experience in other themes such as chess and dog breeding. Im a med student and a fireman. Hope to get along with all of you guys, and feel free to PM me.
Welcome. Everyone plays nice-most of the time. You will definitely learn. Some pretty knowledgeable folks here

Jan 30, 2016 at 5:53 PM Post #3,094 of 15,551
Good Morning Everyone!

Firstly, a big thanks to the Head-Fi team and all of the sites contributors. Being new to the world of headphones, this site has really helped me understand the possibilities available with headphone rigs.

As this is an introduction then maybe a bit of background on myself....

I love music and hi fidelity playback, always have. Since I was 18, and worked in a small electronics shop, I've always had a passion for hifi (I'm now 45) and it's been great.

I now find myself living in an environment where having a full size hifi is not possible. I live on an island off of the East coast of Malaysia and whilst it's very beautiful it isn't the sort of place where a full size setup is acceptable, therefore (as I'm missing the music so much) I've decided to take a trip to Singapore and take the plunge on a high end headphone rig. 

Without the information on this site then I would be rather lost and so thanks once again!

I look forward to my move into the world of personal hifi!

Jan 31, 2016 at 3:08 AM Post #3,096 of 15,551
Hi , I'm a new member here but i've known this site for years. Head-fi is full of headphones experts users and i look forward to learn a lot from them. Before i buy any of my headphones i always search for a review in this site first . Head-fi helped me in many ways so thanks to head-fi team and users. (Sorry for my poor English though.)

Jan 31, 2016 at 11:39 AM Post #3,098 of 15,551
sup, I am new as well and really enjoying this forum so far

Making my first steps into the audiosphere, I started a few years ago with a Xonar DX soundcard with Superlux HD681 & HD668B. I was pleasantly surprised, suddenly hearing things I didn't even know were there or was startled from time to time because something sounded so real I thought it was in my room.
I wanted more of this, so I went and bought a FiiO X3ii, which I am currently using as a DAC as well. After a sudden no-music phase (yea, right after I bought the player for some reason) I picked up two sales yesterday, namely a B&O BeoPlay H2 and Sennheiser Momentum In-Ear, each for half the price. Also I bought a pair of Xiaomi Pistons 3.0 together with the FiiO player, which seem to be nice just to throw around or if you're on the run.

Pretty happy with my choices so far, but I am looking forward to add more to that list. In the future, I am interested in "neutral" headphones (over- and on-ear) which put an emphasis on clarity and detail, for critical listening. I am willing to invest more if it's worth it, but from what I've heard so far I am not really convinced yet, although I also don't live around that big of a city to do a lot of testing.

Also I am planning to build a new computer in the near future, so I will probably look into the soundcard market as well.

I opened a thread if you have a suggestion for me or anything else:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/784565/noob-looking-for-portable-on-ear-in-ear-suggestions-for-fiio-x3ii-100

Jan 31, 2016 at 12:28 PM Post #3,099 of 15,551
Hi,
I'm a lurker from the past few months, mainly trying to learn new things and have a good time on here.
Decided to become a member since I need help with repairing my Bose quietcomfort 20:)

//Brokkr

Jan 31, 2016 at 3:12 PM Post #3,101 of 15,551
Hi everyone! New member here from China, currently studying in the US. This site has been really helpful since I started to learn about high-end IEMs and DAPs a year ago. I am not a real audiophile, but I enjoy music so I might become one someday. Hope you all have a great day!

Jan 31, 2016 at 6:52 PM Post #3,102 of 15,551
Please allow me to introduce myself. I'm a man of wealth and t—

No wait, that's wrong. I'm not wealthy but I did have a small windfall recently, which is getting me in hot head-fi water.

The last time I had a (years-long) stint of audiophilia was '98-2005. Really enjoyed the music then with a rig that consisted of Martin Logan Odysseys, a Velodyne 12-inch sub (don't remember the model number), a Krell KAV-250 amp, a Sunfire preamp, and a Sony ES-series CD player. Magical sound. 

Then my family and I moved into a house that, though it was a bit bigger than the old one, wouldn't really accommodate the equipment (you'd have to see my very odd-shaped living room to see what I mean). The gear has been sitting in an unused space upstairs, where it's sadly been gathering dust for the past eight or nine years. When we move again -- maybe this year -- it'll be to a house where I can set up the stereo up in the living room OR in a dedicated listening room. 

Meanwhile, I've been getting by with some nice Paradigm bookshelf speakers hooked up to a no-name amp, with my iMac as the source (office); and with Gallo A'Diva speakers and a Gallo sub driven by a run-of-the-mill Harman Kardon receiver (living room).

Headphones-wise, occasionally I've been listening to the pretty satisfying Beyerdynamic T90s, plugged straight into my MacBook or iPhone. (I know.)

Then the bug bit, pretty much out of nowhere.

The unofficial slogan of this site seems to be "Sorry about your wallet" and that's spot-on. A month ago I had barely heard of high-end head-fi, and thought that the best real-world headphones were some successor to the pair of Sennheiser 600s I used to own -- about $550 retail, if memory serves.

Little did I know. Also, how things have changed. Whoo boy.

Since then I have bought:

- Audeze LCD-3
- Toxic "Silver Poison" cable for the LCD-3
- Schiit Lyr 2
- Schiit Bifrost Multibit
- Woo Audio WA7 Fireflies with tubes upgrade
- Schiit Fulla (for traveling)
- Schiit Modi 2 Uber
- Hifiman HE-1000
- Master & Dynamic MH40

I've also auditioned (bought and returned) the Beyerdynamic T1s. They weren't to my liking -- uninvolving overall, and I hated the strident highs. I will probably also return the Sennheiser HD800 I got a week or two ago — am enjoying them for their musicality, their faithfulness to the source material, and their very good transient response, but they can be unforgiving and a bit harsh on cymbals, claves, slightly sibilant vocals, et cetera. Undecided. I'll let them burn in a bit more and see if I start to take a real shine to them.

For now, I am enjoying the hell out of my Audeze LCD-3s, powered by the Woo amp and playing through one of the Schiit DACs.

Ultimately, my quest is (a) to get as close as possible to the sound of the Martin Logan electrostatic speakers I knew and loved so well, coupled with some serious, tuneful, Velodyne-esque bottom-end slam; and (b) to find a head-fi setup that places a big soundstage more or less in front of me, rather than in my head.

What I have now does (a) very well but (b) hardly at all. The yet-to-arrive Hifiman HE-1000s may change the game. Fingers crossed.

Oh, and hello! :wink:

Jan 31, 2016 at 7:30 PM Post #3,103 of 15,551
@Fifinder
Hello and welcome to Head-fi. Good to see you know the unofficial slogan.

If you are looking for something similar to electrostatic speakers, why not electrostatic headphones? The STAX SR-009 together with the Blue Hawaii SE is considered to be one of the best combinations for headphones available today.

Jan 31, 2016 at 8:49 PM Post #3,104 of 15,551
Thanks. I would love to audition them at some point. I live in the boonies though (the wilds of Maine), at least three hours beyond where occasional Best Buys sometimes give way to audio (ahem) "salons."

Anyone know a good online source for Stax gear?

Jan 31, 2016 at 9:30 PM Post #3,105 of 15,551
Hello Head-Fi,
I'm a audiophile that just bought my first DAP. I wound up getting a Hifiman 901s because i liked the versatility of it with the dock. I'm new to hi-res audio and thought this would be the thing to get my feet wet with it. So I'm stoked! I figured if it didn't work out I would have a bad ass player anyway. But it IS working out and I really dig this thing. Any way I'm glad to be here and I'll be checking in on the Hifiman 901 thread.
Peace

Users who are viewing this thread

Back