New Member Introductions thread
Jun 19, 2015 at 1:07 AM Post #1,816 of 15,580
 Originally Posted by TatooedMac

Gday mate.

Welcome, I'm new around here too.
 I recently received the Grado SR325e's and love them. I know in 20-30 hrs after burn in, they will sound so much better. Now since you don't want these, the word around here is, more like the Rs1e over the Rs2e. I can't judge, because I haven't heard them. There are Grado threads around, and they can get a little overwhelming coming in at 300+/1700+ pages of information. For what you want though, I think you will be better served buying the lesser of the 2 models. 
All in all, like I said, I love the 325e and plan on getting a AMP or AMP/DAC combo to run out of my iMac, once they are burnt in, and just zone out . . .
Hope all goes well, and you get the info you need from those that have had all the models you mention.

PS: Have a read of this Post comparing ALL Grados http://www.head-fi.org/t/530965/grado-fan-club/24930#post_11625809 that I was linked too for information . .

Glad to hear you're enjoying your SR325e.  Actually when I demoed them I didn't dislike them, they just didn't move me in the way the Rs2e did.  But I couldn't say how much burn-in time they had. 
Sorry to hear about your ear infections.  Actually I had that problem a number of years back myself.  I found a good home-remedy to treat it and worked well.  PM me if you want some details about that.  Otherwise hope all else is well.  Thanks for saying hi.

Jun 20, 2015 at 3:30 AM Post #1,817 of 15,580
Hello everyone! Decided to join the club after lurking a bit for a week. Because of this place i'm a proud owner of a pair of Xiaomi Piston 3's. Currently just getting into headphones. I'm a budget audiophile. Having 4 pairs of speakers and 3 tripath amps the quest for sound is not new to me. Hoping to actually see what all this headphone hubub is about.

Jun 20, 2015 at 4:21 AM Post #1,818 of 15,580
Fine business TTT'dMac,

That far from Loxton huh? You're really out west in 'Tim Buck'd Two' land. And I thought I was lost......

My wife says I should be a stand up sunday newspaper comic, not a bobbing head.

Back to your' earphones & music.... Mate.

I got music distortion info from an old antique radio  internet website, that has every electronic' orented magazine cover to cover published on the site.

I was reading an in depth article about how power transformer & audio output transformers differ in engineering design.

The article continued on a back page of the same issue magazine, so the next virtual page was a new subject on how earphone & speakers work electronically & mechanically together.

This article discribed the relationship between the input power & how it effects distortion in the sound reproduction. This was about circa 1935. Nothing has changed in electronic design since then. It all still works the same physically. 

The study went on to say that all electro mechanical devices, be it an earphone, speaker, or microphone, has a "sweet spot", (that is my words), where both the north & south pole push & pull the voice coil through the center of this field evenly, in a linear way.

As soon as the voice coil moves beyond a balance of power of the two magnet poles, say the cone is moving physically from the balance center of pull, away from the center of the magnet bubble, some of the strength to move the coil is lost by a rule of "Inverse² of the distance", leaving only the remaining magnet pole closest to the voice coil, to continue moving the coil onwords in it's mechanical travel.

Beyond this peak shared strength in the magnet bubble, distortion between the input signal & the mechanical output of the driver starts & increases rapidly above that point, the lauder, the more distortion.

When you look at speaker specs, they are always rated in dB's SPL. Generally it is in the area of 90 to 92 dB's of sound pressure where the maximum linear low distortion occures in all speakers, earphones, & microphones, & is related to the volt power input from the amp to the driver earphone/speaker system, as well as the volt output of a microphone, all referenced to: 0 dBv = 90 dB SPL. 

It is all based on an AC rms volt meter measurement of +4 dB volts or 1.228 v rm² = the peak dynamic volume level possible with little or no distorted output of the driver, or the peak linear dynamic range of the driver. Beyond that point, you are just listening to laud distortorted music. The word Laud & Loud are not the same word & have very different meanings.

0 dBv or 0.775 v rm², generally produces the 90 dB's of sound pressure level just right for listening to the singers, weather it is a loud speaker or earphones, & is the volume level the singer is suppose to be heard at, (generally speaking) if that singer were performing live in front of you.

It doesn't sound like much power? Does it? Well it isn't.!

I use two bridgable NAD 2200 power envelop amps each bridged @ 1600 watt per channel, driven by a NAD 1155 preamp. Total throughput THD = 0.02% @ 3200 watt dynamic power output! to drive my 3d sound wall with.

I play my speakers, (8 cabinets total, matrixed into a form of a 3D sound wall), all 20 drivers in them, with the voice of the singer set at 0 dB volts. They are so clear, you have to hear it to believe it. I am suggesting only 4 watts average total power!

All 8 speaker systems driven by 3200 dynamic watts @ only a tiny 1.6 watt average power @ 0 dBv.... Sounds like overkill, but it's really true, low distortion.

I calculated the power input to all of the speaker cabnets & dB sound pressure levels.

It comes out to be somewhere around 4.02 watt total rm² power @ +4 dBv, & it sounds so good at that level, I don't want to turn it up beyond these levels ever again.

About laud music.... I have listen to so many songs over the years, some of them thousands of times, but when I listen to them now at the 0 dB level set.... It is like I have never heard the song before, it sounds so different, & clear. The instruments are not all smashed together in one big noisy sound field. Every instrument is seperate & soo clear.

I went so far as to use SkyPaw sound pressure meter appz on my I-phone, to measure the SPL, & in every song I play, when the singer's voice is adjusted to 0 dB peaks.

Note:SkyPaw is free at the appz store.

Well, (too much beer), I will say that again, using the I-phone skypaw appz, the background music never goes over the vom measurement of +4 dBv  on volume peaks, which = 96 dB SPL coming from my speaker system, WHEN, I have the peaks in volume of the Voice adjusted to a maximum of 0 dBv (0,775v), which = 90 dB SPL coming from my speakers.

The music dynamic volume range averages about 6 dB SPL louder than the singer in almost every big band recording, while other recording methods with the singer at close center stage front, the background music never exceeds +2 dB = 92 dB SPL coming from my speakers. I don't know exactly why, but it is somehow related to the dynamic range set by the recording studio.

You have got a choice pair of earphones now. One of the better units available on the market today.

I'm asking you to save the ware & tare to the new phones, (& your' ears), from the very start, & give this a try.

I'm not joking. This info is for real & on the level. Tell everybody you know about it, when you find out just how good it really is.

Get out that old dusty vom & start adjusting the vocal volume to the peak meter level of 0 dB, & you will have such a look of suprise on your' face, you will never go back to laud music again.

Cheers,

{(I'll have another Bloody Beer, if you will, Mate) Translation: Let me know soon, what you think, when you try out this trick, on your' new headphones.}

PS: Don't think 90 to 96 dB SPL isn't loud. It is definately as loud as you would want a good sounding band to be. It sounds loud to me & I am deaf, & over the hill, not to mention, I'm in my 70's.

Jun 20, 2015 at 2:57 PM Post #1,821 of 15,580
Hey, a newbie here. stumbled upon this forum several times but only have the guts to join today.

my current gears are sennheiser urbanite and bose freestyle. used to have a sennheiser HD439 until the earpiece snapped so still in the quest for new over ears

Jun 20, 2015 at 4:04 PM Post #1,822 of 15,580
HI everyone.
I'm a french guy, beginning with the portable music as a leisure.
I'm 36 and it's the first time I listen to music this way, I listened in car and home but now only listen with headphone or IEM.
I firstly get a DX90 and a Momentum over ear, but replaced the momentum for a OPPO PM-3,because it didn't fit my ears correctly, the cans were too small.
I  really like my oppo, it's well finished, has soft touch and delicate sound, I sold the DX90 to get music in the phon eonly, so I get a Meizu MX4 pro, not too bad but really weak compared to a DX90, so I get my first pair of IEM's, a used pair of 1+2, the sound is really different, heavy bass and treble sound lie metal, not really my sound but I like the strengh and how easy to drive even on a phone, so I think I will order custom IEM, but the choice is really hard to get, reason why I register here.
Another reason is to find the right DAP, I mean, quite powerfull, dynamic, but quite neutral Dap, with balanced phone output.
I have seen informations about the Hifiman stuff, looks like it's really powerful and good.
I also have seen informations about the "geek wave", but I would need more informatins about it especially what they call "indiegogo perk price"

Patrice

Jun 21, 2015 at 8:42 AM Post #1,823 of 15,580
Hey hop everyone!:)

New user here:) My name is Piotr (Peter) I'm from Poland but living in the UK for about 10 years:) I've always was a big fan of music and also a huge fan of headphones, especially Sony Headphones or any Sony Electronics.  My budged for headphones was never a big one since I've only started working, so now I'm thinking about getting some good headphones under £150 and hope I will have them for long time. Now I'm a owner of a Sony MDR-XB600 for like 2-3 years now. I'm really really happy with them, never complain about them, always take them for longer travels. etc. Poland:) So would definitely recommend them when someone travels a lot and doesn't have a big budged since they only cost like £40 now:wink: 

Hope I'm gonna stay here for long time and will try to help a lot:)

Jun 21, 2015 at 2:31 PM Post #1,824 of 15,580
Greetings there!
Newcomer, totally lame one.
Dmitry from Riga, Latvia.
Headphones are new thing for me, never used tham before actually (just occasionaly).
Orderes Takstar Pro 80 as my first, and i guess not last. Now looking for desktop dac\amp.
Like this community, atmosphere and reviews!

Jun 22, 2015 at 4:43 AM Post #1,826 of 15,580
After lurking for two weeks I decided to join the party.

I'm 46, live in The Hague, Netherlands and like listening to music. Like it so much that I decided I needed a decent listening set for on the go. After getting a Lexus with a Mark Levinson stereo upgrade I needed something more portable :blush:

With help of the reviews here I decided for a FIIO X3k, MEE A151p and line out cable. Also put in orders for the DUNU titan 1, MEE M6Pro and Superlux HD-668 B. Tried the Sennheiser 598 and liked it, but it is too open for the people around me.

Talking about people around me. My wife liked the sound of the FIIO soo much that she asked me to order one too. Decided to buy a X1 after considering an X5k and iBasso DX90 for myself as an upgrade. Can better spend the extra money on extra hardware and good audio files.

Jun 22, 2015 at 11:44 AM Post #1,827 of 15,580
Hi!

I registered to this site in order to be able to promote a tube amp workshop that we organize here in town for the upcoming weekend.

I once built my own tube amp and cornu spiral speakers and I am very very happy having spent the time and money.

I am not spending too much time with audio as a hobby but when ever it come to new desktop speakers, garage speaker or similar, I come back to such forums to collect the next great winter project idea.

Sebastian

Jun 22, 2015 at 11:55 AM Post #1,828 of 15,580
Hi all,

I´m a music lover and I enjoy a lot reading all the great reviews posted here.
I don´t have a lot of experience and in this moment I just have the Denon DN-HP1000 headphones connected to an X-FI HD USB SoundBlaster.  I´m very interested in ordering Westone custom monitors to listen music at my office (instead of the Denons), but also riding a motorcycle with a full face helmet and I´d like you to help me with all your experience to choose the best option for me between the ES30 and the ES50.

Greetings from Mexico.

Jun 23, 2015 at 3:05 PM Post #1,830 of 15,580
Hey,

I'm a relatively young music enthusiast coming from Germany, who wants to buy his first "serious" headphone now.
I've already been lurking and searching through this great Forum for a while now, which helped a lot.

The disease already hit me, as I originally only wanted to spend something like 200$ for the headphones. Unfortunately, every headphone that I listened to for a while had something lacking for me, or was at some point not as I wanted it to be. I first tried the Beyerdynamic DT-770 Pro, Audio Technica ATH-M50x and Sony MDR-1A as well as others. This lead me to have a look into the Cans which cost more and more, until I recently bought a FiiO E07 and now want to buy a Beyerdynamic T-70P. I think that it's an overall amazing headphone, which was the first that I entirely liked in the price range. If I had a chance, I'd prefer the Beyerdynamic T-5P though.

Have a nice day!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back