New Member Introductions thread
Jul 20, 2014 at 12:32 AM Post #272 of 15,646
Hi guys,

I'm new to here too, well I've been lurking for quite some time now actually but yea.. Hi!
currently my favorite headphones is the Sony ma900, I also have the momentum and a modded semi open m50
nice to meet you all!

Jul 20, 2014 at 1:39 PM Post #273 of 15,646
First post but I've been reading the forums quite a bit. Truth be told I'm getting a little overwhelmed with all the info. I've been an AV freak for a while, ET by trade so technobable doesn't put me off. Right now all I got for gear is UE9000(ok), Beyer DT770, a Crack amp and a so-so SB1290 connected to my awesome Nyx 1712. My current dilemma is finding a decent, affordable DAC.

Jul 20, 2014 at 6:27 PM Post #274 of 15,646
I am a new member and have jumped into headphones at the age of 72. Let me explain. I was a recording engineer from 1961 to 1981 at Universal recording studios in Chicago, Illinois. We seldom used earphones in the studio except when we did location recording. The headphone of choice back then was the Koss Pro 4a with its oil filled earpads. I retired from recording and have put together several speaker based systems. My current system consist of Basis 14 turntable with Rega arm and Ortofon 2m Bronze cartridge. Audio note transport and dac. Shindo Auriges preamp with phono stage.. 2 each Berning ZH-270 power amps and Maggie 3.6 speakers. A few months ago I was facing the possibility of going on dialysis which is 4 hours a day 3 days a week. I figured what a perfect time to listen to music. Needed some portable gear but must have great quality.  I read tons of info on this site and others and finally ordered an Astell&Kerns AK100 and a pair of Mr. Speakers Alpha Dogs. The sound is very similar tonally to my main system except for the difference in sound staging that a speaker system has to headphones. I have since found out that I don't need dialysis but I am glad I made this purchase for late night listening.. In fact for permanent listening to the phones I have added to my main system a Schiit Loki DSD dac and Sciit Lyr amplifier My source is Jriver 19 on my laptop configured to upsample everything to DSD on the fly. The Loki only decodes DSD and at $99 is really amazingly good. I just received the Lyr today so have not listened much. I look forward to being a contributing member to this forum
Alan

Jul 20, 2014 at 7:43 PM Post #277 of 15,646

I was replying to an earlier post. Not sure how that works. Do you copy the body of that post into your reply? Help
Alan

You can just press the "quote button on the person you want to quote/reply to's post (just like I did for you) to copy the body of the post into your reply.  You can try it on my post if you'd like. 
bigsmile_face.gif

Jul 20, 2014 at 8:40 PM Post #278 of 15,646
Hello to all!

I'm new to this page and I've only recently started coming here in the past few weeks. To be honest the amount of information that I've found here is overwhelming; I had no idea there could be so much information about something as seemingly simple as headphones! It just goes to show how diverse people can be and how in depth even the simplest thing can go.

I'm not an audiophile by any stretch of the imagination (yet), just a simple graphic designer with a profound love for music, but I hope I can someday contribute properly! 
biggrin.gif

Jul 20, 2014 at 9:54 PM Post #279 of 15,646
Hi, everyone. I've read reviews here for quite awhile and decided it was time to join.

I have:
Shure SE530
Akg K701
HeadRoom Total Bithead
Musical Fidelity X-Can v3 with the X-Psu v3

I just ordered:
Sennheiser HD650
CENTRANCE HIFI-M8 XL4

Oh, and I have a Pono ordered through Kickstarter -- mostly to get the demand for new high res content as high as possible.

Nice to meet you all.

Jul 20, 2014 at 11:10 PM Post #280 of 15,646
Hello everyone,

I've been reading and following the site for a while now and figured it was time to join. My journey in the headphone world began a couple years ago when I bought a pair of Koss PortaPro's. Going from typical apple earbuds they opened up a whole new world of how music should actually sound. After buying those I just enjoyed them and never really thought more into it. Recently I broke them while packing stuff to move and started looking for another pair of cans. I met with a local member of head-fi that's actually one of my old friends, and he let me test drive some of his equipment, including a pair of Grado sr325i's that I have yet to be able to remove from my head. Needless to say I'm hooked again. Looking forward to learning from the experts here and discovering new ways to enjoy music how it's meant to be listened to.

Jul 21, 2014 at 3:42 AM Post #281 of 15,646
Hello everyone!

I"ve been lurking Head-Fi for a while until signing up recently.

Currently my audio setup consists of running FLAC files through Foobar2000 into a Dragonfly USB 1.2 into a HE-400.

Jul 22, 2014 at 3:17 PM Post #282 of 15,646
Hi everyone! Been visiting Head-Fi for a while now and finally signed up for an account.

Using Schiit Modi/Vali and Sennheiser HD650s (all received within the last week based on what I've read here). I also have some old Shure e4c phones that I purchased a while back and a Grado SR60 set.

I did have a question about driving the Sennheiser HD650s. I have a Denon AVR 1312 receiver running my tv speakers. This should run the HD650s just fine using the straight phone output, yes? If not, is there a cheap upgrade I can get?

Thanks!

Jul 22, 2014 at 3:33 PM Post #283 of 15,646
  Hi everyone! Been visiting Head-Fi for a while now and finally signed up for an account.

Using Schiit Modi/Vali and Sennheiser HD650s (all received within the last week based on what I've read here). I also have some old Shure e4c phones that I purchased a while back and a Grado SR60 set.

I did have a question about driving the Sennheiser HD650s. I have a Denon AVR 1312 receiver running my tv speakers. This should run the HD650s just fine using the straight phone output, yes? If not, is there a cheap upgrade I can get?

Thanks!

Hi Enforcer5981, welcome (officially) to the forum!

I do not have the HD650's, but I would say that I don't see why they wouldn't work fine via phone output, as long as you use a 3.5 mm plug.  With that said, I'm sure you'd receive a much more detailed and accurate response if you post the same question to the HD650 Appreciation/Impressions thread.  Good luck!

Jul 22, 2014 at 4:00 PM Post #284 of 15,646
Hey everyone.  Another new member that has been lurking for a bit of time and finally decided to join up.  Currently don't really have a portable setup and unfortunately will be making another "moar recommendations plz" type thread for help, but at least wanted to stop by and say hi.

I'm not so much an audiophile, but I am a music nut.  Love my music, and all kinds (rap, metal, classic rock, jazz, classical, edm).  My digital collection has been made into primarily FLAC and 320kbps, with a few VBRs thrown in from CDs that I rarely ever listen to.  I've also got a number of old vinyls that one day will digitize when I've got the money to put into proper equipment (current turntable has USB output, but isn't very good to record from).

Anyways, looking forward to learning a lot and participating around the community.

Jul 22, 2014 at 10:20 PM Post #285 of 15,646
Hey guys! I've actually been using Head-Fi for a few years, mostly for reviews. I don't really consider myself an audiophile, I don't know that much about audio to be honest.. I just know that I want good sound quality and durability.

My music tastes include rap, some rock, 60's/70's/80's music, and trap music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back