New Member Introductions thread
Jul 27, 2014 at 4:27 PM Post #301 of 15,568
I've posted occasionally before, but I'm only now really getting into these forums. I've always enjoyed reading the stuff here, hope that I'll be able to learn some and contribute 
beyersmile.png

Jul 27, 2014 at 10:06 PM Post #302 of 15,568
  Hello fellow nuts! TubeNut here, by way of introduction. I've been lurking and reading the forums for about a year and this is my first post.

-  I'm a musician.
-  I studied Audio and Recording Engineering quite seriously but that is not my profession.
-  I love the sound of tubed electronics, but do not feel the need to exclude other types of amp/preamplification.

My full-size system is powered by Manley Snapper monoblock tube amps, and I love those babies! Later I'll post a picture if I'm allowed.

My portable system is an IPod Classic 160GB, a LOD and line cable into a JDS Labs C5 portable amp. I use Sony XBA-3 balanced armature in-ear monitors. These IEM were a nice step up for me, but now I'm looking to upgrade and trying to decide between universal fit and custom-fit IEMs.

I spent many hours yesterday at the Capital Audio Fest in Silver Spring MD and will be heading back there to indulge myself s'more. Perhaps I met some of you there. It was very, very enjoyable. Cheers!

Welcome Tubenut. You have a lovely setup there, it reminds me of the Manley stingray my brother used. 

Look forward for the pics 

Jul 27, 2014 at 10:54 PM Post #303 of 15,568
Been lurking for awhile and figured I should introduce myself.

Increased work travel motivated me to put together a reasonable portable rig (thanks to the wealth of great info on this site) that includes my 3rd generation (I think) iPod touch, Fiio LOD cable, C&C BH2 amp, Koss ProDJ200 headphones with Shure 840 earcups, Monster headphone cable. Not high-end but not bad.

I really appreciate all of the reviews and discussion. Really helped me narrow things down.

Been involved with audio and music as a hobby for almost 50 years. My home set-up is tubes and vinyl. I pretty much passed on CDs so I mostly listen to Spotify or Rhapsody on the road.

Preferred music is Rock from the 1950s - 1970s, Jazz from the 1950s, Classical from the 1950s and The Blues.

I look forward to getting to know everyone and hope to be able to contribute as I am able.

Thank you.....

Jul 28, 2014 at 6:23 AM Post #305 of 15,568

Welcome Tubenut. You have a lovely setup there, it reminds me of the Manley stingray my brother used. 

Look forward for the pics 

Manley Stingray: great gear choice! I'll be happy to post pictures of the Snappers, but I think I have to post a certain number of times to break the lock. So, lets get started.
normal_smile%20.gif

Jul 28, 2014 at 6:39 AM Post #307 of 15,568
Hi Guys!

I previously read a few articles, but was on the lookout for a new headphone, and that's when I took a look at the forums.... figured out that I'd like to be a part of the listener's community :)

Hi, my name is Tushar, I'm from India and I love music.

I'm only into music and headsets. I own an Altec Lansing MX5021, an JBL J33 earphone, and many other headsets.

Cheers,
Tushar

Jul 28, 2014 at 10:47 AM Post #309 of 15,568
Heyya, Em Akki,
And I myself welcome to this site. :p

I'm also a music and cans addicted so recently join here to explore more knowledge bout cans and amps..

Anyhow, em owning Audio Technica ATH-M40x from past 1 months nd I totally love them...
Will keep getting updated from here and invest some more in new upcoming budget friendly cans in future..
Love dis site and loved to be a part of it..
Nd hey, btw em from India. :D

I welcome every single new user over here and hi to all cans/amps expertise. :D Will love to read all ur latest reviews bout new headphones.

Jul 28, 2014 at 1:23 PM Post #310 of 15,568
TubeHiFiNut, tell us about your home set-up. I'd like to hear about it. :)

Hi TubeNut. Sounds like we have something in common. :cool:

Turntable: Lenco L75, Ortofon arm, Denon 103.
Step-up: Quicksilver Transformer.
CD: JVC 1050
Pre-amp: Audio Research SP3 (modified).
Amps: Quicksilver 300B SET monoblocks.
Speakers: Lowther PM2a/horn cabinets
Home headphone set-up: Single-ended 6BQ5 integrated amp driving Stax SRX III headphones..
Cables, cables and more cables.....

Next purchase will be a good DAC to go between my computer and the SE amp driving the Stax.

Jul 28, 2014 at 10:24 PM Post #311 of 15,568
Hi, everyone! I just joined here after obsessively reading and lurking for the past two days straight. A bit of a long, convoluted chain of events led me here, so I'll spare the details (unless anyone is legitimately interested). 

I'll just say that I'm not at all an audiophile by any means. I love music, but I never really cared about having the greatest headphones. I'd always buy cheap Sony earbuds because I felt like they were the only thing that I could safely buy cheap and have them still sound decent.

Not sure on their reputation around here, but the only (maybe? sorta? kinda?) decent headphones I have are some Sony MDR-V150 that I've had for several years. They've held up pretty well except the leather around the cups has completely dissolved after all the constant use. I guess I would say I'm a fan of Sony products since I feel I can trust in the quality. 

Anyway, I decided to join to get suggestions since I'm on the hunt for my first "good" pair of headphones which I suppose I'll post a thread for soon. Nice to meet you all. :)

Jul 28, 2014 at 10:43 PM Post #312 of 15,568
Welcome mate. I only joined a few hours ago! Its a fascinating world; the world of rich, sweet audio frequencies.
I have used some sony headphones and iem's over the years.
Its only when you listen to higher quality headphones without the big brand marketing that are usually associated with consumer friendly, safe brands we all know and trust.... that you start to realise what a clean pair of headphones sound like. Tight, warm and responsive. (Almost sounds seedy)
Some of my favourite cans are old 1970s cheapies that I have found at garage sales etc for less than $10. Usually strip them down, source out spares and run new high quality 3.5mm cable with a nice gold plug of choice. Just go and buy a soldering iron if you dont have one amd have some fun experimenting with your creations. Make something that you cant buy...something that turns into a talking point at cafes or the train.... enjoy some toonz through your creation!
Dont worry about me, i am a bit of a nutter.
Any questions or advice, please pm me mate.
Kev

Jul 28, 2014 at 10:57 PM Post #313 of 15,568
Welcome mate. I only joined a few hours ago! Its a fascinating world; the world of rich, sweet audio frequencies.
I have used some sony headphones and iem's over the years.
Its only when you listen to higher quality headphones without the big brand marketing that are usually associated with consumer friendly, safe brands we all know and trust.... that you start to realise what a clean pair of headphones sound like. Tight, warm and responsive. (Almost sounds seedy)
Some of my favourite cans are old 1970s cheapies that I have found at garage sales etc for less than $10. Usually strip them down, source out spares and run new high quality 3.5mm cable with a nice gold plug of choice. Just go and buy a soldering iron if you dont have one amd have some fun experimenting with your creations. Make something that you cant buy...something that turns into a talking point at cafes or the train.... enjoy some toonz through your creation!
Dont worry about me, i am a bit of a nutter.
Any questions or advice, please pm me mate.
Kev

Welcome to you, too. And thanks! :D 

I'm eager to jump into my first pair of nice headphones! 

I already have a super expensive interest and that is building computers. Still trying to get the money together to start on that project! Phew. 

Jul 29, 2014 at 1:28 AM Post #314 of 15,568
Hey Head-fi! Long time lurker and account holder. 

Hopefully you can all take me by my word when I say that my first post was not in any way a stunt, scam or falsified.
That thread is here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/579298/anybody-in-the-philippines#post_7879074

I admit, my choice of formatting was horrible back in the day, but I do hope to become a part of your community. 

Jul 30, 2014 at 2:24 PM Post #315 of 15,568
Hey all,

This is Aleut, pronounced like one would pronounce the Aleutian Islands. I am just jumping into the world of hi-fi after being an installer of home and commercial audio for a while, so I know a lot of the terminology, but I'm just exploring the tech. I've changed jobs to something that allows me to afford some of the higher-end stuff (not quite summit-fi), and I intend to do some exploring!

I enjoy a quite wide range of music, mainly focusing on newer Alt Rock and percussion music. I'm a percussionist at heart, and have played in ensembles ranging from jazz to drum corps. I also enjoy listening to well-mastered sound effects - I understand and appreciate how much time someone puts into a good clip. 

I tend toward basshead cans, but I like to branch out as well. I currently have a pair of Beyerdynamic DT990 pros, 250 ohm, a pair of V-Moda M100s, a pair for Harmon/Kardon BLs, and a pair of Bose QC15s (a gift). I am interested in getting a couple pairs of IEMs, and would appreciate recommendations. I wear earplugs for my work regularly, so the more the IEM isolates, the better. 

Also, if you have any suggestions for percussion ensembles/music, I would really appreciate it. It's hard to find good recordings!

Cheers!
Aleut

Users who are viewing this thread

Back