New Member Introductions thread
Dec 12, 2022 at 10:41 AM Post #14,161 of 15,538
Hello everyone, I love japanese ACG music and OST and start improving my equipments for ~10 years!
Would like to learn and discuss more in this forum! Thank you!

Dec 12, 2022 at 1:44 PM Post #14,162 of 15,538
Howdy people of the forums!
I am a finnish guy who is in love with anything involving bass (wish we had the fish in our lakes🥶). I am here to finally move towards better music gear. Previous equipment include 8000watt car audio system and my trusty beyerdynamics custom one pros.With the PC I run pair of HEDD audio type 07.
Now teach me how to blast my eardrums with some smooth sub-bass!

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2022 at 3:24 PM Post #14,163 of 15,538
Howdy people of the forums!
I am a finnish guy who is in love with anything involving bass (wish we had the fish in our lakes🥶). I am here to finally move towards better music gear. Previous equipment include 8000watt car audio system and my trusty beyerdynamics custom one pros.With the PC I run pair of HEDD audio type 07.
Now teach me how to blast my eardrums with some smooth sub-bass!
grateful v2 by juice wrld is a good track for godly bass

Dec 13, 2022 at 3:30 PM Post #14,166 of 15,538
Hey folks, dropping in to introduce myself. This is my second Head-Fi account - my first one, which I used prolifically between about 2011 and 2014, is structurally inaccessible to me because the email associated with it is long gone. My setup and my general audio-related interests have changed so much in that time that it likely wouldn't have been worth resurrecting the old profile anyways.

I went up and down the ladder several times during the first wave of interest I had in headphone audio - it's interesting to come back now after most of a decade and see that the ladder itself has grown so much taller. When I first joined Head-Fi, headphones like the Sennheiser HD 800 and Grado PS1000 were considered TOTL for most folks, and the Stax SR-009 and a couple other >$2000 models had just blown the roof off the market for lovers of diminishing returns. Now, it seems like there are dozens of competitors in the $3000-$5000 range and a handful like the Sennheiser HE 1 system that have redefined where the roof is.

I look forward to diving back in, even if just to grab some recommendations here or there. Headphones were a major hobby of mine when I was first active on Head-Fi, and I switched out equipment frequently, but I suspect I'm more likely to find a couple components I like and stick with them for a long time on this run. At the moment, I've got an AudioQuest NightOwl Carbon paired with a TEAC HA-P50 portable DAC/amp as my day-to-day listening rig at home. I also have some other stuff lying around that I use less frequently - a Pioneer HDJ-2000, the requisite Audio-Technica ATH-M50 that everybody seems to own at one point or another, an Audio-Technica ATH-A990Z, and a humble Grado iGi - but my primary interest right now is upgrading from the HA-P50 -> NightOwl Carbon chain to something more substantial. It's been awhile since I had a rig that really impressed me, and I miss it.

Dec 14, 2022 at 7:13 AM Post #14,167 of 15,538
Hey folks, dropping in to introduce myself. This is my second Head-Fi account - my first one, which I used prolifically between about 2011 and 2014, is structurally inaccessible to me because the email associated with it is long gone. My setup and my general audio-related interests have changed so much in that time that it likely wouldn't have been worth resurrecting the old profile anyways.

I went up and down the ladder several times during the first wave of interest I had in headphone audio - it's interesting to come back now after most of a decade and see that the ladder itself has grown so much taller. When I first joined Head-Fi, headphones like the Sennheiser HD 800 and Grado PS1000 were considered TOTL for most folks, and the Stax SR-009 and a couple other >$2000 models had just blown the roof off the market for lovers of diminishing returns. Now, it seems like there are dozens of competitors in the $3000-$5000 range and a handful like the Sennheiser HE 1 system that have redefined where the roof is.

I look forward to diving back in, even if just to grab some recommendations here or there. Headphones were a major hobby of mine when I was first active on Head-Fi, and I switched out equipment frequently, but I suspect I'm more likely to find a couple components I like and stick with them for a long time on this run. At the moment, I've got an AudioQuest NightOwl Carbon paired with a TEAC HA-P50 portable DAC/amp as my day-to-day listening rig at home. I also have some other stuff lying around that I use less frequently - a Pioneer HDJ-2000, the requisite Audio-Technica ATH-M50 that everybody seems to own at one point or another, an Audio-Technica ATH-A990Z, and a humble Grado iGi - but my primary interest right now is upgrading from the HA-P50 -> NightOwl Carbon chain to something more substantial. It's been awhile since I had a rig that really impressed me, and I miss it.
Welcome! I was in the same boat with my old account. Adorama is blowing out their Hifiman HE6se V2 for $399.00, https://www.adorama.com/hmhe6sev2.html?EmailPrice=T . They need a lot of power, but with the right equipment you wont find better for cheaper!

Dec 14, 2022 at 10:12 AM Post #14,170 of 15,538
Due to my health conditions (infantile cerebral palsy) and living in a small town, I haven't had the chance to listen to live music, except during town festivals, I haven't had the chance to compare various electronics with competent people who help me understand the differences. I like all music a little, and I want to try how to listen to music in the best possible way ?

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2022 at 1:19 PM Post #14,171 of 15,538
Hi. I'm a life long lover and enthusiast of all types of music and a brand new user of headphones and the paraphernalia that goes with them. Right now I have a Audeze LCD 3 and a Woo Audio WA 6 SE 2nd Gen with upgraded tubes - Rectifier = 274B Sophia Mesh Plate & Drier/Power 13EM7 with adapter (NOS). The WA 6 SE is hooked up to a Moon by Simaudio 390. I noticed a hum when I switched out the stock driver tube pair that came with the WA 6 and am quite bummed out because that was not the case with the stock tubes. Other than reporting the issue to Woo Audio are there any suggestions on corrective action steps?
Not that anyone's asking or interested since all we newbies need to establish our bona fides before being allowed to play with the big boys by starting off on this forum so that's what I'm doing by giving an update on my woes with the upgraded tubes referred to in my inaugural post. In response to the email I sent him Mike Liang at Woo Audio informed me "The tubes produce higher output, best paired with power demanding headphones. Headphones that are high-efficiency would hear some noise". It turns out my Audeze LCD3 is considered relatively high efficiency so the noise was not unusual. I suspect that is a very newbie misstep on my part and since this is a newbie sub-forum I'm sharing with any neophytes out there. Cheers.

Dec 14, 2022 at 3:48 PM Post #14,172 of 15,538
Welcome! I was in the same boat with my old account. Adorama is blowing out their Hifiman HE6se V2 for $399.00, https://www.adorama.com/hmhe6sev2.html?EmailPrice=T . They need a lot of power, but with the right equipment you wont find better for cheaper!
That looks like a genuinely great deal, one that makes me want to just jump on it, but I think I'm going closed for my next purchase. Thanks for alerting me to it, though! I've run some stuff out of vintage integrated receivers before, so not afraid of something that needs power.

Dec 15, 2022 at 1:37 PM Post #14,174 of 15,538
Hello everyone. I'm starting to get back in to the audiophile hobby, I briefly dipped my toes into it around 7 years back when I bought a pair of Ultrasone Pro 900 and one of the cheaper grado models (cant remember which one exactly). Since then I have also played around with audio production a bit and bought a few synths. I am looking froward to getting back into the hobby and getting a nice set of IEMS, open headphones, and dac/amp(Currently using a RME Babyface pro fs as a dac). I Listen to a wide array of music, mostly some electronic sub-genres and classical.

Dec 15, 2022 at 2:24 PM Post #14,175 of 15,538
Due to my health conditions (infantile cerebral palsy) and living in a small town, I haven't had the chance to listen to live music, except during town festivals, I haven't had the chance to compare various electronics with competent people who help me understand the differences. I like all music a little, and I want to try how to listen to music in the best possible way ?
Hi,

I like and listen to a lot of Live music through headphones. Here's a starting point for you, a thread full of Live music:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/live-music.904140/

My favorite Live music video has to be this version of "Soundgarden - Searching With My Good Eye Closed" because of the performance Chris Cornell gives onstage. Enjoy:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back