New Member Introductions thread
Nov 20, 2022 at 2:18 PM Post #14,116 of 15,538
Hi everyone.Congrats for the forum,very helpful.I decided to join as i have a soft spot for good audio devices and i am in the search for a good budget friendly iem.
Welcome! I am sure you know how fast the IEM (specifically Chi-Fi) industry is moving, so I would suggest you get IEMs that are well-doted for! Remember that you might not find your preferred sound signature on your first purchase and that is okay.

Nov 20, 2022 at 2:40 PM Post #14,117 of 15,538
I approve of your choice on buying the ER2SE. I recommend you to try all the included tips: triple flange, dual flange, and foamies. Getting a seal is vital, improving sound fullness and also isolation. The ER2SE and its family is excellent at isolation, there was this reddit post that talking about this guy missing a fire alarm while at work while wearing the ER2XR. I loved the foamies but settled on dual flange since the foamies deteriorated. If you want to use the stock cable: I recommend not twisting them into your ears since that extra torque is what broke the cable in my experience. If you hear channel imbalance, it usually means a filter is clogged, so use the included metal tool to swap the filters. The ER2SE comes with another set of green filters. Some people wash their filters and reuse them, but Etymotic suggests to not do that. You'll have to clean the tips more frequently since they pick up earwax in a good way since it is like a q-tip. Experiment with the chin slider on the stock ER2SE cable to see if you like it.
First of all, thanks for all this info, it'll come handy.
I choose them basically ONLY due to their isolation, I don't plan to use them ALL the time, but I need them to watch a movie and study.
This it the first time I'll wear anything other than the basic type of tip in the ear so I legitimately don't know what to expect, I'll try each one of them and maybe even buy tips on their own if they make it more comfortable. Regarding the cable instead, I'm right now looking to buy that, if not to replace it immediately to have it as spare when the stock one deteriotates. What cable did you buy when yours broke? I read Etymotic uses a different MMCX type than others.

Nov 20, 2022 at 2:46 PM Post #14,118 of 15,538
First of all, thanks for all this info, it'll come handy.
I choose them basically ONLY due to their isolation, I don't plan to use them ALL the time, but I need them to watch a movie and study.
This it the first time I'll wear anything other than the basic type of tip in the ear so I legitimately don't know what to expect, I'll try each one of them and maybe even buy tips on their own if they make it more comfortable. Regarding the cable instead, I'm right now looking to buy that, if not to replace it immediately to have it as spare when the stock one deteriotates. What cable did you buy when yours broke? I read Etymotic uses a different MMCX type than others.
No prob! I also use them for study or when the lawnmowers outside are humming. Don't forget the nozzle is so small that it only fits Etymotic/Shure eartips. You could use an adapter (like the one included in Final E-Tips) if you wanted to. I only heard tales of people who can't stand the fit. I believe there are some out there, but most of us here don't mind it. Remember: experiment by using the stock cable and push it in as far as possible: the bend in the cable will stop it from going further. You basically want it to look like a cable is going into your ear and the actually IEM shouldn't be too visible or visible at all. This takes time and I think I got used to the fit after 3 days.

I bought a Tripowin Zonie MMCX 3.5mm from Amazon and I cut the earhooks off. As far as I know, there is only one type of MMCX cable. On the other hand, 2-pins have different types (recessed, QDC, etc.). Now, this isn't the best solution and I am also looking for a cable.

P.S. Love the profile pic!

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2022 at 5:49 PM Post #14,119 of 15,538
No prob! I also use them for study or when the lawnmowers outside are humming. Don't forget the nozzle is so small that it only fits Etymotic/Shure eartips. You could use an adapter (like the one included in Final E-Tips) if you wanted to. I only heard tales of people who can't stand the fit. I believe there are some out there, but most of us here don't mind it. Remember: experiment by using the stock cable and push it in as far as possible: the bend in the cable will stop it from going further. You basically want it to look like a cable is going into your ear and the actually IEM shouldn't be too visible or visible at all. This takes time and I think I got used to the fit after 3 days.

I bought a Tripowin Zonie MMCX 3.5mm from Amazon and I cut the earhooks off. As far as I know, there is only one type of MMCX cable. On the other hand, 2-pins have different types (recessed, QDC, etc.). Now, this isn't the best solution and I am also looking for a cable.

P.S. Love the profile pic!
I placed the order a couple of hours since on Amazon UK is a bit cheaper than other sites available so it should arrive within a week.
I would much rather avoid using an adapter for the eartip, I'll search some tips on Aliexpress/Lunashops and search around the forum for sure.
I read about the two types of MMCX cable available here, ClieOS speaks saying Lunashops ships both standard and a "type 2" specific to Etys, but the post is also 4 years old so I don't know if still applies. Do your Tripowin Zonie fit right? You cut the earhooks off, did they come with them? Or is another pice of the cable I misunderstood?

Thank you! The profile pic is an art of Ryoko Kui of a Baldur's Gate character (Imoen), where is yours from?

Nov 20, 2022 at 6:15 PM Post #14,120 of 15,538
I placed the order a couple of hours since on Amazon UK is a bit cheaper than other sites available so it should arrive within a week.
I would much rather avoid using an adapter for the eartip, I'll search some tips on Aliexpress/Lunashops and search around the forum for sure.
I read about the two types of MMCX cable available here, ClieOS speaks saying Lunashops ships both standard and a "type 2" specific to Etys, but the post is also 4 years old so I don't know if still applies. Do your Tripowin Zonie fit right? You cut the earhooks off, did they come with them? Or is another pice of the cable I misunderstood?

Thank you! The profile pic is an art of Ryoko Kui of a Baldur's Gate character (Imoen), where is yours from?
I read the discussion. The mmcx connectors are the same. According to ClieOS, the only difference between type 1 and type 2 is that type 2 has the extra piece of plastic (present on the stock cable) that locks it. I find it strange since that cable was made for the Etymotics and it should already come with that feature.
The Zonies fit and work, however, they do rotate. I bought the Zonies for a KSC75 mod, but it didn't work out. I do not recommend just buying a normal MMCX cable like the Zonie, but rather a 90 or 135 degree one designed for the Etymotics. I just used an existing cable that I have. With that in mind, the ear hooks were heat-shrunk on and I just used an Exacto-knife to cut it.

Baldur's Gate! I don't know much about DnD. I found mine from a pretty obscure Korean artist. The headphones looked like Argons/TX0RPs, which I found cool.

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2022 at 7:38 PM Post #14,121 of 15,538
I read the discussion. The mmcx connectors are the same. According to ClieOS, the only difference between type 1 and type 2 is that type 2 has the extra piece of plastic (present on the stock cable) that locks it. I find it strange since that cable was made for the Etymotics and it should already come with that feature.
The Zonies fit and work, however, they do rotate. I bought the Zonies for a KSC75 mod, but it didn't work out. I do not recommend just buying a normal MMCX cable like the Zonie, but rather a 90 or 135 degree one designed for the Etymotics. I just used an existing cable that I have. With that in mind, the ear hooks were heat-shrunk on and I just used an Exacto-knife to cut it.

Baldur's Gate! I don't know much about DnD. I found mine from a pretty obscure Korean artist. The headphones looked like Argons/TX0RPs, which I found cool.
So I do need to look out for the type 2 that doesn't make them rotate, and I didn't even know I needed to look out for the angulation, I need to start from zero. I saw some 90 and 145 degree, but then the stock which degree is, not quite 90?
I'm eventually going to buy one, it'll probably takes weeks to arrive (Italy) but I'll make sure to report it on a thread, I'll tag you if you want. Thanks for giving some very much needed directions.

Nov 20, 2022 at 7:48 PM Post #14,122 of 15,538
So I do need to look out for the type 2 that doesn't make them rotate, and I didn't even know I needed to look out for the angulation, I need to start from zero. I saw some 90 and 145 degree, but then the stock which degree is, not quite 90?
I'm eventually going to buy one, it'll probably takes weeks to arrive (Italy) but I'll make sure to report it on a thread, I'll tag you if you want. Thanks for giving some very much needed directions.
Sure thing! Don't worry about tagging me, I think whatever cable you buy will be just fine. An OEM cable costs just as much as the IEM + Cable, so that is a no go for me. I only have access to Amazon. The "type 1" or "type 2" labelling is website/brand specfic, so another brand may call it something else. That is why I always assumed that if it was designed for the ER series Etymotics: it would have the locking thing defaulted and have no "types". Yes, the stock one is "90 degrees", it's close enough hehe. What I said was some added info. You definitely could've figure it out!

Nov 22, 2022 at 5:47 PM Post #14,123 of 15,538
Hey everyone.

TubeSound here...

As my name implies I am a big fan of analog design.

I am an electrical engineer by degree and hope to contribute to design and technical questions on here going forward.

I am starting to work on some fresh (and replica) tube amp designs that hopefully i will be able to share via DIY.

Really glad to be here. Browsed for the last several years.... but havent been a member until recent.

Nov 26, 2022 at 11:36 AM Post #14,126 of 15,538
Hi All

Longtime lurker, first time poster. Have been reading through a wealth of useful information on the forums, and it's been the biggest contributor to getting me back into audiophile equipment. I've read up on DAPs, and used the Sony NW-ZX507 thread to make up my mind and buy one used on eBay to replace my phone as my dedicated player. Slowly re-buying a lot of CDs from eBay, and planning on using Qobuz/TIDAL with the Sony, too.

Up until now, have been using an iPhone with Apple Music/Spotify, connected to either a Dragonfly Cobalt or Chord Mojo. Use the Mojo with my SRH1540s and the Dragonfly with some triple driver, custom IEMs from UltimateEar. Very, very impressed with them, and they get so little coverage or recognition.

Have used UltimateEar to make/purchase custom gloves for Cambridge Audio Melomania 1+ and AirPod Pros, and they truly transformed the audio from them.

Am going to be asking a question about streaming services and res output from an iPhone, but needed to post here first of all.

Great community!

Nov 27, 2022 at 9:42 PM Post #14,127 of 15,538
Greetings to the denizens of Head Fi.

Nov 28, 2022 at 3:47 PM Post #14,128 of 15,538
Hi guys, newbie here. Had a great insight in this forum on my new pursuit of improvement to my audio system. Having used Pro-ject digital S2 with DietPi USBridge and IFI Zen Streamer and Dac2, decided to upgrade. Just ordered Gustard R26 and U18. The forum helped me a lot for deciding among the choice. Will share my experience, once I have hands on to it.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2022 at 6:49 AM Post #14,129 of 15,538
Hi guys, newbie here. Had a great insight in this forum on my new pursuit of improvement to my audio system. Having used Pro-ject digital S2 with DietPi USBridge and IFI Zen Streamer and Dac2, decided to upgrade. Just ordered Gustard R26 and U18. The forum helped me a lot for deciding among the choice. Will share my experience, once I have hands on to it.

Welcome to Head-fi.org :)

And sure, I look forward to reading about that transition from our products to Gustard's devices :)

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back