If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Jul 6, 2018 at 9:23 PM Post #12,031 of 19,249
No matter how many IEMs I go through, the ER4SR are still my baseline and go to.

Comfortable (light weight, small form factor), top level isolation (isolates well on a crowded subway), amazingly flat and resolving (transparent, clear, unforgiving), fast (quick decay, uncluttered), scales well with power (go Cayin N5ii!), so much detail, good price, and excellent customer service (two year warranty). I can’t say enough good things about this brand and their IEMs.

I suspect a lot of ER4 owners have a tough time finding a replacement for it or letting it go. ER4 + good amp + lossless file = pretty much most of what you need.

Jul 6, 2018 at 9:40 PM Post #12,032 of 19,249
No matter how many IEMs I go through, the ER4SR are still my baseline and go to.

Comfortable (light weight, small form factor), top level isolation (isolates well on a crowded subway), amazingly flat and resolving (transparent, clear, unforgiving), fast (quick decay, uncluttered), scales well with power (go Cayin N5ii!), so much detail, good price, and excellent customer service (two year warranty). I can’t say enough good things about this brand and their IEMs.

I suspect a lot of ER4 owners have a tough time finding a replacement for it or letting it go. ER4 + good amp + lossless file = pretty much most of what you need.

Too true, the struggle is real!
I am trying to find something similar in earbud form so I can listen to music at night while my wife tries chatting or the kids want to play, and everything just falls frustratingly short! I'm losing my mind!

On the bright side, I have to take the train today! Perfect time to use them!

Jul 7, 2018 at 5:04 PM Post #12,033 of 19,249
personally, I've decided to sell all of my etymotic earphones...

8DCC51DD-CB48-40C5-BF28-23C32673FD13.jpeg

but seriously... not a chance. :p haha. they've made me sell all of my "other" earphones. my biggest problem (addiction) now is which etymotic i like best. :)

I'm trying to convince myself to grt rid of the boxes...

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2018 at 5:36 AM Post #12,036 of 19,249
Hi!

I'm looking to buy 2,5mm balanced cable for my ER3SE. I don't want an very expensive cable if I can avoid it. I'm not in to that cable-stuff.

Been looking at lunashops and they have one for $39. Seems good I suppose?
http://www.lunashops.com/goods.php?id=5731

I live in EU and I don't have any knowledge of possible online stores that sell this stuff in EU.

I'm looking for flexibility. Don't want the stiff cables.
Any recommendations for me?

Jul 9, 2018 at 9:03 AM Post #12,037 of 19,249
Hi!

I'm looking to buy 2,5mm balanced cable for my ER3SE. I don't want an very expensive cable if I can avoid it. I'm not in to that cable-stuff.

Been looking at lunashops and they have one for $39. Seems good I suppose?
http://www.lunashops.com/goods.php?id=5731

I live in EU and I don't have any knowledge of possible online stores that sell this stuff in EU.

I'm looking for flexibility. Don't want the stiff cables.
Any recommendations for me?

If you buy it from Lunashops, make sure to specify that you want the 'type2' cable as it has the Ety specific MMCX connector.

Also, though I don't think it is so stiff that I don't want to use it at all, that cable isn't the most flexible cable around either, just thought you want to know. I actually use that cable for quite a few of my past projects.

Jul 9, 2018 at 11:00 AM Post #12,038 of 19,249
If you buy it from Lunashops, make sure to specify that you want the 'type2' cable as it has the Ety specific MMCX connector.

Also, though I don't think it is so stiff that I don't want to use it at all, that cable isn't the most flexible cable around either, just thought you want to know. I actually use that cable for quite a few of my past projects.

I Purchased a cable from Luna shops that were specifically listed for the ER4. It did not have the right connector. I contacted them through eBay but they never replied. EBay refunded my money and I have a cable that is not good for much. Hope you have better luck!

Jul 9, 2018 at 12:45 PM Post #12,039 of 19,249
I Purchased a cable from Luna shops that were specifically listed for the ER4. It did not have the right connector. I contacted them through eBay but they never replied. EBay refunded my money and I have a cable that is not good for much. Hope you have better luck!

Think you reply to the wrong person. There are two kind of cable on Lunashops that is listed for ER4SR/XR (in the same link @smorgar posted) - the first kind doesn't have an Ety specific MMCX connector but a generic one that will still works, though not going to 'lock' the earpieces in place to stop it from spinning around. The 'type2' cable I mention does however have that Ety specific MMCX connector that will lock the new ER4 earpieces in place like the stock cable does. All of these are kind of an old knowledge that were discussed in this very thread when the Ety specific MMCX connector first came out last year, but I guess many of you probably didn't read into the older posts enough to discover it. This is why you have to tell Lunashops what you really want (type2!!!) ori else they will ship you the generic one.

p/s: Lunashops also sells 2 pins cable for old ER4 (P/S/B). Make sure you never order one of those for your new ER4 (SR/XR) either.

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2018 at 12:50 PM Post #12,040 of 19,249
Think you reply to the wrong person. There are two kind of cable on Lunashops that is listed for ER4SR/XR (in the same link @smorgar posted) - the first kind doesn't have an Ety specific MMCX connector but a generic one that will still works, though not going to 'lock' the earpieces in place to stop it from spinning around. The 'type2' cable I mention does however have that Ety specific MMCX connector that will lock the new ER4 earpieces in place like the stock cable does. All of these are kind of an old knowledge that were discussed in this very thread when the Ety specific MMCX connector first came out last year, but I guess many of you probably didn't read into the older posts enough to discover it. This is why you have to tell Lunashops what you really want (type2!!!) or else they will ship you the generic one.

Is there an option selection for the type 2 or would I have to email my selection?

Thanks in advance.

Jul 9, 2018 at 12:54 PM Post #12,041 of 19,249
Is there an option selection for the type 2 or would I have to email my selection?

Thanks in advance.

The best way to do it is to contact them first to comfirm it is a type2 / locking cable before ordering.

Jul 9, 2018 at 12:56 PM Post #12,042 of 19,249
Since the product listing was for ER4 SR/XR, I made the (apparently mistaken) assumption that it would have the appropriate connector for that model. Guess my bad? :confused:

Jul 9, 2018 at 1:04 PM Post #12,043 of 19,249
Since the product listing was for ER4 SR/XR, I made the (apparently mistaken) assumption that it would have the appropriate connector for that model. Guess my bad? :confused:

It has to do with timing.

The generic cable came out first as there was no Ety specifx MMCX connector at the time but there was already a demand for replacement cable, so Lunashops just made a cable that will sort of work, though not perfectly. Then the right MMCX connector was finally made by someone else months later, Lunashops re-made another cable with the right connector, so they ended up with two cables for the new ER4.

Jul 9, 2018 at 11:33 PM Post #12,044 of 19,249
So at this moment there seem to be only one cable available for decent price? I was hoping there was a 2.5mm balanced black copper cable... Anyone?

Jul 10, 2018 at 12:21 AM Post #12,045 of 19,249
So at this moment there seem to be only one cable available for decent price? I was hoping there was a 2.5mm balanced black copper cable... Anyone?

This guy here in Japan makes custom cables for the 4xr and 4sr.

http://e4ua.jp/?p=2827

It is pricy, but the cables are pretty damn sexy, and you can have it like you want it. You have to send a message to get a quote, but it will probably run you 200-300 dollars.

I don't recommend lunashop at all. I have had a horrible experience with them, they shipped the completely wrong product, 30 days late, and their customer service ran me in circles for three weeks asking the same information over and over again. I ended up taking the 30 dollar loss just to stop getting furious all the time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back