If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Jun 25, 2018 at 11:07 PM Post #12,016 of 19,252
I made this today. Did not come out as i had hoped but they sound very open and airy but still very clear and accurate. I would say they sound very much like HD600 wich i love!
Put them in my ears for a test run before i threw them away since i spent over 1h making them but i cant taket them out! Biggest difference in sound i have come across when tip rolling in a very good way!

They look like little penises! You've given me a great idea for a new product: penis shaped ear tips, marketed under the name 'd*ick headz'.

Jun 25, 2018 at 11:58 PM Post #12,017 of 19,252
I made this today. Did not come out as i had hoped but they sound very open and airy but still very clear and accurate. I would say they sound very much like HD600 wich i love!
Put them in my ears for a test run before i threw them away since i spent over 1h making them but i cant taket them out! Biggest difference in sound i have come across when tip rolling in a very good way!

They look like little penises! You've given me a great idea for a new product: penis shaped ear tips, marketed under the name 'd*ick headz'.

dear God, i was going to say it's like a finger, but this comment completely ruins it for me :joy:

@smorgar what did you use to make that eartips?

Jun 26, 2018 at 12:48 AM Post #12,018 of 19,252
Im glad i can bring something to the thread, even if its fun and jokes! :D

I used these plugs, the material is not like standard yellow plugs. Much softer!
http://www.ohropax.de/en/products/soft.html

And a hole maker tool for belts.

Jun 26, 2018 at 1:30 AM Post #12,019 of 19,252

I used these plugs, the material is not like standard yellow plugs. Much softer!

I have used similar (not on etys) another realy good soft plug is Howard leight max lite, easily available on amazon and eBay.
They will lose memory after a few months though.
Just ordered my er4xr can't wait.

Jun 26, 2018 at 2:14 AM Post #12,020 of 19,252

is it easily detach from the stem? I'm a bit worried if it would get stuck in the ear when i pull the iem out

Jun 26, 2018 at 2:56 AM Post #12,021 of 19,252
is it easily detach from the stem? I'm a bit worried if it would get stuck in the ear when i pull the iem out

I'd say they sit good enough. I had to really force them on the stem. I had to use the largest hole in the hole-maker-tool to get the stem to fit inside.

If i twist them in my ears the plug rotates with the earphone. The plugs i used are a bit different from the normalt yellow 1$ plugs. The material is looser and more rubbery-like. Maybe because of this they grip the stem better than the regular cheap plugs.

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2018 at 3:43 AM Post #12,022 of 19,252
I also noticed they sit/rest better in the ear as you can see in the picture.

IMG_20180626_094021.jpg

Jun 27, 2018 at 4:22 AM Post #12,023 of 19,252
I went for a similar idea but in my usual barbarian way.

I've been using this for maybe 2 months now, after running out of Comply tips of that size and realizing how many Shure tips I had in stock.

IMO we're both ready for the 2018 Etymotic summer fashion show!:man_dancing:

What plugs are you using? Shure olives and a bit of comply?

Jun 27, 2018 at 6:11 AM Post #12,024 of 19,252
What plugs are you using? Shure olives and a bit of comply?
yup. it's the T100 kind that I cut(badly) just to fill in the gap left by the Shure. because I'm pretty much the opposite of @deafdoorknob. I find this IEM to be comfy only when the all length is supported in the canal so the pull of the cable can't move it much. we all have to deal with our own ears and their annoying shapes I guess ^_^.

I initially wished to do the same as you and have some of the comply foam overlap with the shell a little, but my 2 attempts to cut the internal tube just right to still have some left to hold the tip in place, ended in failures(butter finger skillz) so I gave up. and having no internal tube holding the foam in place creates another issue, the foam moves around. you solved that with the little collars but I didn't have fancy professional equipment like that :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:.

also went down the earplug's road years ago, but all the kinds I had were acting too much like sponges. I came back the next day and they hadn't dry up yet. that's really what made me give up, IMO they're missing the little plastic surface that Comply has. but even if they had that, it's not that easy to make just the right hole, straight and identical for both sides. again my butter fingers are likely to blame in part, but I often ended up with fairly noticeable imbalance in signature when I checked with test tones. so after a few weeks of destroying all my stocks of plugs, I gave up on the idea.

Jun 27, 2018 at 7:19 AM Post #12,025 of 19,252
Aha i see.
Im thinking im gonna try medium shure olives but im awaiting my order of the westone star plugs and a mix set of comply t100.
The "dickheads" (as some one named them) plugs i made the other day is not going to last long but they isolate very well and sound amazing but the best part is the comfort.

Today i have a new setup to share. Stock foam pads from Etty and some dual flangers on the stem just to give a little more support in the outer ear like so:

IMG_20180626_165154.jpg IMG_20180626_170654.jpg

[Edit] Im thinking of maybe try to shorten the stock foamies. They are quite long and covers more than well the nozzle [/Edit]

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2018 at 6:56 AM Post #12,026 of 19,252
Picked up my er4xr a few days ago and I'm realy impressed, detail retrieval alone is worth the asking price in my opinion. I can't speak for every iem under £500 but if there's better out there for detail (er4sr of course) then i would be surprised and let me know!.
I honestly love what they have done with this iem mids/vocals seem slightly forward to my ears which I like , the slight bass bump which doesn't seem to interfere with anything and is just the right amount and the treble which is not fatiguing at all but still has nice presence .
All in all a definite winner for me and a total keeper and I'm now officially an ety fan.

Only drawback was I purchased a returned pair on a 30 day money back guarantee so technically someone tried and not wanted it, saved me £120 but the pair I received had not been checked properly on return and had a fault so I have had to return........gutted but I will be replacing a.s.a.p

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2018 at 7:29 AM Post #12,027 of 19,252
Picked up my er4xr a few days ago and I'm realy impressed, detail retrieval alone is worth the asking price in my opinion. I can't speak for every iem under £500 but if there's better out there for detail (er4sr of course) then i would be surprised and let me know!.
I honestly love what they have done with this iem mids/vocals seem slightly forward to my ears which I like , the slight bass bump which doesn't seem to interfere with anything and is just the right amount and the treble which is not fatiguing at all but still has nice presence .
All in all a definite winner for me and a total keeper and I'm now officially an ety fan.

Only drawback was I purchased a returned pair on a 30 day money back guarantee so technically someone tried and not wanted it, saved me £120 but the pair I received had not been checked properly on return and had a fault so I have had to return........gutted but I will be replacing a.s.a.p

In terms of pure detail across the spectrum and vocals from what I’ve listened to, maybeeee Earsonic ES5, JH Audio Angie and Empire Ears ESR can compete as an upgrade but those are a much higher price point. Also the Empire Ears Supra but those are hard to find.

Sorry to hear what happened. I hope it works out :)

Jun 30, 2018 at 7:43 AM Post #12,028 of 19,252
In terms of pure detail across the spectrum and vocals from what I’ve listened to, maybeeee Earsonic ES5, JH Audio Angie and Empire Ears ESR can compete as an upgrade but those are a much higher price point. Also the Empire Ears Supra but those are hard to find.

Sorry to hear what happened. I hope it works out :)

Thanks, it will be fine the company I bought them from are pretty good and couldn't apologise enough. Think they just didn't check these thorough enough as on first minutes listen they were fine but after 2 mins you could hear a crackling in the driver and hey it happens, I don't blame the company too much just one of those things and I have returned for refund and will replace probably with new this time when refunded.
I am possibly looking at andro or pp8 at the end of the year but not definite.

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2018 at 10:37 AM Post #12,029 of 19,252
Back on Massdrop at a pretty good price if anyone wants to pick these up: Etymotic ER4SR and ER4XR

I have the ER4XR's and they are fantastic sounding!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back