New Member Introductions thread
Mar 3, 2022 at 10:45 PM Post #13,413 of 15,636
Old new here 😊 Very helpful community in helping me get set up with my 'end' game and subsequently realizing that doesn't exist 😅 Looking forward to continuing to learn more on the audio journey with y'all
It's good acknowledge you will always be chasing that "perfect" sound. Luckily for you, we may know it, but we'll never accept it. Thus, there is no AA (Audiophile Anonoumos) group for us.

Mar 4, 2022 at 3:01 PM Post #13,415 of 15,636
I'm pretty new to the more in-depth parts of the hobby. Have been using a Magni/Modi combo with Fostex TH-X00s (until they broke) and HD 6XXs for years, but recently upgraded to a pair of Aryas and an SMSL VMV D1SE. Still looking for a suitable amp to upgrade to, which is part of the reason why I have an account now instead of just lurking.

Mar 6, 2022 at 10:28 PM Post #13,418 of 15,636
Hello all... Old 54'ish young senior citizen here...Ha... that absolutely loves listening to my music through headphones. Never really cared much for it until I bought myself the Philips SHP9500 and a Fiio A3 amp several years ago because I spend most of my time at my desk in front of a PC and just didn’t desire the Carver Silver Seven-T’s and large floor standers taking up so much space anymore. Ah… old age kicking in, I guess. (I do miss them at times though :wink:)

The intimacy & soundstage had me. I wanted to try another headphone, so I bought the X2HR's.

At first, I was like, wait… I think I like the SHP9500’s more. But the more I used the X2HR’s, they won me over. But man, those Velour Pads… they grab anything they can, and hold on to it for dear life.

Was using the A3 connected to my 8th gen i7 Intel NUC 3.5mm using Foobar2000 (WASAPI) as of late, and decided I wanted to give a USB DAC/AMP a try. After reading several reviews I purchased the "new" Fiio K3.

I was concerned because after reading reviews some said they liked the new version better with the ESS chip, others said they preferred the previous gen with AKM chip. Now I have no idea what the difference in sound would be between the two as I am just an average Joe who loves my music.

I did notice a difference and I can’t describe what I am missing from the K3 verses the A3.
I definitely like the bass boost on the A3 better. I think the K3 adds a bit too much.
Have to really crank that volume knob on the K3 single ended to get some decent volume.

I decided I was going to buy a balanced set of headphones to take advantage of that extra oomph that the 2.5mm balanced output has.
So, went to AMZ and the Fidelio X3 was $169 so I grabbed that deal.

I am just now getting into them. Purchased some Dekoni Pads (waiting on those).

Now looking to empty my pockets even further…
Anyways, apologies for the long read/introduction/life story. Cheers!

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2022 at 10:31 PM Post #13,419 of 15,636
Mar 7, 2022 at 1:10 PM Post #13,421 of 15,636
Hi All,
more of a conventional speaker listener here, looking for a perfect pair of closed back headphones and the gear to help them. Hope the community can show me the shortest path. :blush:
Mostly got tube amps (eveyrwhere), so looking in that direction for the desktop system as well.

Mar 7, 2022 at 2:54 PM Post #13,422 of 15,636
Hi everyone! Having enjoyed many hours of fine reading here, I thought it time to register and introduce myself. I'm about to hit 40 this year, living together with my two kids and wife with whom I share none of my preferences for music, audio gear or engineering
:D
I am currently also a maintainer of the librespot project, which you might know or even use as an open source Spotify Connect implementation that's included in many open source audio distributions.

Because my wife and I do not share the same musical taste, I got into head-fi. Fast-forwarding to my current setup, I own a pair of Beyerdynamic Amiron Home headphones, powered by my self-soldered AMB β22 headphone amplifier (two-board setup) with a stepped attenuator, powered by an AMB σ22-regulated linear power supply. The source is a Soekris dam1121, again DIY'd, the analog section powered by another AMB σ22 and the digital section by a DIYINHK LT3045 with Murata chokes. As input functions a headless Raspberry Pi, outputting I2S through a IanCanada IsolatorPi and then a Allo Kali Reclocker. The dam1121 is loaded with custom quasi-NOS filters provided by the kind community on diyAudio. Knowing these filters, I would never want to listen to a Soekris with stock filters again.

Thanks for having me here, looking forward to conversing with you.

Mar 7, 2022 at 4:25 PM Post #13,423 of 15,636
Hello all

I just started this journey with a Deezer subscription and two pairs of IEM's (lost one earpiece of my first pair - sad face). I'm looking at obtaining a DAP so I can drive with more power and just want to some understanding in this complicated hobby. I play the violin in an orchestra, but my music tastes stray towards Indie and EDM among other things.

Mar 7, 2022 at 5:41 PM Post #13,424 of 15,636
New member here. I have been reading the forum over the past month as I search for information on various closed back headphones.

I will be 56 next week and always enjoy listening to music. Dating back to the early 80's when I entered the Marine Corps and was stationed at Camp Pendleton in San Diego County. I had Rockford Fosgate Punch 150HD and 75HD amps powering the sub and speakers in my 1989 IROC-Z (5.7 litre). Over the years I have always concentrated on home audio with 2 channel and home theater for listening. First system I bought once I could afford it around 1988 was a Onkyo Integra TX-890 stereo receiver, Onkyo Integra TA-2600 cassette deck and Infinity SM-152 speakers. I still have the TX-890 and TA-2600 today. I have a plethora of stereo equipment stored throughout the house and garage that the wife of over 35 years reminds me of at least once a month.

Below is my current setup in my house:
Living Room: Pioneer Pro-141FD Plasma TV, Pioneer SC-LX901 AVR, Mirage OM5, OMC2, OMR2, Sony BDP-S790
Man Cave: LG OLED 65 C8, Arcam AVR-850(Pre amp), Wyred 4 Sound ST1000MKII front left and right amp, Emotiva XPA-3 center channel and rear amp, Monolith 15" sub, MAC Mini for streaming tidal and iTunes connected to OPPO-UPD-205 via USB, Bluesound Vault 2. Speakers: Mirage OMD-28, Mirage OMD-C2, OM-R2, Sony PS4 Pro, Xbox One S
Bedroom: Sony XBR-46HX929, Bose 1SR, Sony PS3.
PC: LG OLED CX 48" monitor, Creative AE-5 Plus soundcard, Bose 700 soundbar and Bose 700 Sub, Astro A50 gaming headphones (retired), PC rig: I9-9900K, GPU: EVGA 3090 FTW3 Ultra Hybrid, PSU: Corsair AX1600i. I build my gaming PC rigs.

Many years ago I bought a pair of Bose QC35 headphones that I used mainly for air travel since I was flying from the west coast to the east every other month for close to a year. This started my journey towards listening to music via headphones. Last year I bought the Apple Airpods Max with the Apple wire connector that I connect to the headphone input on the back of the SB AE-5 Plus sound card on my PC. Now I want to move onto the next level. I thought I had a winner when I purchase the Sennheiser 660S after doing research on various forums / web pages. Then my wife of over 35 years could hear what I was listening to due to the open back design and she asked me to get a different style of headphone. So as they say, "happy wife happy life".

I am now searching for a closed back headphone. Reviews are all over the place for some of the closed backs I am considering. Some of the headphones I am considering: Dan Clark Aeon 2 closed / Aeon RT, Denon AH-9200, Audeze LCD-XC and Meze Liric. The ones in the lead are the Denon AH-9200. While I enjoy the HD66S, I wish they had a little more bass and they are a tad bright. I am using an EQ curve (V curve) that I have use since way back when. Most of the aforementioned headphones are in a different price bracket compare to the HD660S that I purchased at just under $400.

I look forward to gaining further information and meeting new people.

Mar 8, 2022 at 9:21 AM Post #13,425 of 15,636
Like many others, I'm new on the forum but have been reading different subjects when researching things related to hifi. Was Addict free for a few years but got the bug again recently... So started again to make cables, buy Dacs, etc... 😑
Hope I won't drive myself into bancruptcy this time..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back