New Member Introductions thread
Feb 24, 2022 at 8:33 PM Post #13,401 of 15,569
I was one head-fi many years ago, got an ER4S and the resistor to make it an ER4P, then a PPA version 1 amp (made by mrx or x86, or something like that). Last year I upgraded to the ER4XR and a THX Onyx amp. The Onyx is SO nice for a portable system! Just tried Sennheiser 660s and, while I liked it, I still prefer the Etys, and I have 3 to choose from. Still trying to find cans (as opposed to IEMs) that sound as good as the Etys.

Feb 25, 2022 at 12:53 AM Post #13,402 of 15,569
I was one head-fi many years ago, got an ER4S and the resistor to make it an ER4P, then a PPA version 1 amp (made by mrx or x86, or something like that). Last year I upgraded to the ER4XR and a THX Onyx amp. The Onyx is SO nice for a portable system! Just tried Sennheiser 660s and, while I liked it, I still prefer the Etys, and I have 3 to choose from. Still trying to find cans (as opposed to IEMs) that sound as good as the Etys.
You like clarity, openness, timbre. Me too. Consider the Audio-Technica ATH-R70X, though they currently seem to have supply-chain problems.

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2022 at 6:36 AM Post #13,403 of 15,569
Hey hey people, a university student from the Netherlands here.

I've been a long-time lurker on many audio forums and a snake oil charmer for the past half-decade. I'm mainly looking for setup help/advice and some kind of guidance to maximize my audio needs/wants.

I've owned a couple of high-end headphones before but I keep coming back to cheaper options for better comfort and a different taste of the hobby. 2022 has been quite the wild ride in terms of my tastes changing and wanting to refresh my whole setup making me purchase headphones from Ukraine and an amp from Russia just before all of the current day buzz about those two countries.

Feb 26, 2022 at 11:13 AM Post #13,404 of 15,569
Hello everyone. Thanks for the admission.

I’ve been a more casual in the hobby. I do not necessarily consider myself audiophilist, but I do enjoy a good set.

I do own a set of Sennheiser HD600 that I purchased back in the early 2000s. Unfortunately, my headphone amp burned out. I was not able to find a replacement, but I did not search/research very hard. I wasn’t home enough to use them or wasn’t in the situation to use them such as the gym.

I also own a set of Etyomtic Research 4T IEM; also purchased back in the early 2000s. I have a small battery-powered amp. This was main on the go system; long before bluetooth was invented.

Unfortunately, I’ve been using cheaper headphones, but they served a purpose. I’ve been using the Soundpeats in-ear TWS. These were because they were cheap so I did not care if they got ruined or stolen, which is not uncommon at the gym. I use the H1s mostly, which is one of their flagships. Not sure worth it at their MSRP for $80, but for $50, decent value. They're a dual driver with lowest base tuning. There are used mostly when out and about and the gym.

I also use Steelseries Artics 3 Bluetooth gaming headphones. For about $100, they are solid considering they can be very robust–PC, Xbox, PS, switch. They’re not surround sound. I use these a lot for school because of classes via Zoom. I would use these at my job to do some online/streaming gaming for better audio.

I found these forums because I’ve gotten in the mindset I wanted a good (or better) listening experience like I had with the HD600. I recently got Fiio BTR5, which will, I thought it would have had more improvement on the sound of the Artics 3. They did improve the sound. They can get louder. I assume the sound improvement limitation is the drivers or the source material. Overall, I like the device. It is a lot smaller than I was expecting.

I also looking to get a full-size set of cans such as the Sony XM4 or Sennheiser Momentum 3 or 560ii. I wasn't necessarily looking for ANC because I prefer to IEM with more natural ANC in those situations. As much as I like bass, I'm not a basshead. Instead, I purchased a set of Focal Stellia. I'm still waiting for delivery. They're delayed in shipping for some reason, which is a bit lame

I'm also half serious looking into a getting a desktop amp such as FiiO K9 Pro.

Look forward to reading other posts in the forum

Feb 28, 2022 at 7:18 AM Post #13,406 of 15,569
Hi everyone, just joined and very happy to be part of the community. In the past I have focused on my loudspeaker system but since having a young family I am veering more towards the world of head-fi. I have particular interest in IEMs. I live in West Sussex, UK. If anyone is based nearby please do make yourself known. It would be great to connect with locals. Who knows, there maybe opportunities for product loans etc. in future! All the best, Robin

Mar 1, 2022 at 10:53 AM Post #13,407 of 15,569
Hi Folks, brand new to the site. I'm sure this has been asked and answered a million times, but I'm here for recommendations about used over ears full size headphones for $400 or so. I have a great headphone amp - mytek brooklyn+. Totally new to headphones. Was thinking about the Sennheiser 650 as it can be had pretty cheap. I'd love other suggestions. Do used headphones tend to have problems? thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back