New Member Introductions thread
Jun 6, 2019 at 11:58 AM Post #10,171 of 15,537
Hi all!

Just joined, I'm an American, originally from New York, now I live in Hong Kong and Manila.

At the moment I'm mainly alternating between two sets of headphones - the Sony MDR-1000X, which I love, and the Beats X, which are okay enough for everyday use.

I also have the Sony WF-1000X and I liked those when I first got them but the frequency of dropouts on the right side means they mostly sit in the drawer.

Mostly I listen to classic rock, jazz and blues. These days I do most of my listening on an iPhone, sometimes bluetooth, sometimes wired with a Dragonfly DAC plugged in.

I am considering upgrading the Sony MDR-1000X to the latest MDR-1000XM3.

Years ago it seemed I bought a new pair of headphones every three months, always in search of the best sound on a budget. These days I've managed to check that impulse but I'm always keeping an eye out on what's new and wonderful.

Jun 6, 2019 at 12:19 PM Post #10,173 of 15,537
Hello there i am rene from the netherlands and my hobby is computeraudio en personal audio.

I listened a few years with an ibasso dx50 and shure iem.

Recieved monday my new dap the fiio m11.

What a step up in audio quality that is i am very pleased with the sound.

Plays very well with iem from kz as10 5ba. This iem sound far bettere than my (old) shure’s.

I am very pleased to be a member of this forum.

With regards. Rene jacobs

Jun 6, 2019 at 8:51 PM Post #10,175 of 15,537
Hey there new member, longtime lurker on the mdr-7520 thread. Just moved to SF from Ohio where my favorite headphones have recently revealed their mechanical faults and are rendering them completely unusable for walking around my beautiful new city!

While I've loved my Sony MDR-7520 for home listening and occasional walks, I've recently relocated to San Francisco where the relentless creaking and especially the insane wind loudly blowing into the ports has me, sadly, considering other options, because I'm not sure exactly how to fix these issues. For me, these headphones are 90% impeccable (while sometimes being a little too "narrow" sounding and analytical) but the lack of portability is just ruining them for me. Massdrop is now offering (or will be in September) a portable (and easily drivable) version of the Beyerdynamic 1770 Pro which sounds like a decent replacement for my MDR-7520's :triportsad: on paper, but does anyone have experience or a comparison between these two headphones? I know the 177x are supposed to be tuned slightly differently than the 1770 but any insight would be appreciated. Also, if you have any fixes for the creaking and wind/port issues with the 7520s, I would love to hear about them!

THANKS IN ADVANCE

Jun 6, 2019 at 9:56 PM Post #10,176 of 15,537
Hi everyone~

Really pleased to be here! I've been a long-time lurker but finally decided to make an account.

I've been into this hobby for about a year now and I'm really enjoying it. To date, I've made investments into pairs of Sennheiser HD6XX and HFM 4XX, and a THX 789 and SMSL SU-8 to drive them. My taste in music is rather varied, but generally I just enjoy listening to things that are well recorded. I'm also a fan of anime, so I really enjoy purchasing the OP/ED/OST's from my favorite shows in hi-res (24/96) from Mora. I like to discover new artists through Bandcamp and Tidal, which I stream through Audirvana for macOS.

In addition to my two main cans, I've had the opportunity to listen to LCD-2's, LCD-X's, Focal Elex, Sennheiser HD800S and Hifiman Arya, a few of which I bought on a whim but later sold. For now, I've decided to enjoy what I have and take my time upgrading, though I'm currently most interested in hearing some of Chord's products and getting my hands on the MD x Airist R-2R DAC.

Looking forward to interacting with all of you in these forums. Hopefully I'll be eligible to post in the classifieds soon. Thanks for reading!

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2019 at 10:19 PM Post #10,177 of 15,537
Hi guys, I've been lurking in these forums for many years. Finally decided to create an account after I started seriously looking for better IEMs.

I've been using ADDIEM for about 10 years now, very happy with its sound signature, although the base is on the thin side. Recently I'm looking for a potential upgrade. So if you have any recommendations, do let me know!

Jun 7, 2019 at 9:11 PM Post #10,178 of 15,537
Hello everyone new member here~

Joined cause a friend told me about this site and I liked the site instantly.
I only just recently started to get into audio.
Use my laptop(Alienware 15 R3) or my phone(Samsung Galaxy S10) to play music.

Currently have a
  • Sony MDR-1000X
  • AKG Y50BT
  • Hyperx Cloud 2 gaming headset
Previously had
  • Audio-Technica ATH-M50X
  • V-MODA Crossfade M-100
  • AKG K451
Looking to sell them to get some good IEM as well as a good amp/dac.

Jun 8, 2019 at 9:35 AM Post #10,179 of 15,537
Hi everyone. I'm from Vietnam. First post in head-fi, new to audio and I really want to learn more in this forum :)

Previously owned:
ATH M50X
Sony wh1000mx3
Ak70mk2
Yamaha Dsp A1
Focal 716

Now:
Primaluna Prologue Premium
Oppo 105d
Audio Vector Mi3
AKG N40

Hope to try a Schiit DAC soon :wink:

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2019 at 3:06 PM Post #10,180 of 15,537
Hi all,

New guy here. Recently got into the whole audiophile thing. My run-of-the-mill earbuds started malfunctioning a few weeks back so I figured it was about time to buy some halfway decent headphones, nothing too serious. A few weeks later of tumbling down the audiophile rabbit hole, I was ready to seriously invest in some good equipment as well, which is why I decided to make an account here.

Nice to meet you! :)

Jun 9, 2019 at 4:00 PM Post #10,181 of 15,537
Returning to enjoyment of listening to music with a little more seriousness as the chicks leave the nest.
Picked up a Hiby R6 and added BGVP DM7 to my Shure 535's.
Have Spotify and Qobuz though struggling with Qobus on the Hiby with card issues I'm trying to work out.
Lots to learn about DACs, DAPs, DSD and other Acronyms.
Look forward to some time to relax with an array of music and learning more.
Allan

Jun 9, 2019 at 6:43 PM Post #10,182 of 15,537
Good evening,
Musician & audiophile since a long time, I discover for some years music to headphones.
I am gradually getting equipped since I have children and it has become complicated to sound my speakers.
I have:
Audio GD NFB1Amp / Darkvoice 336se / ifi micro Black Label
TH6XX / HD6XX / HE-500 / Sine with Cypher and a few pairs of Intras with my Cayin N5II and N3 DAP
I look forward to browsing the forum

Jun 10, 2019 at 10:01 AM Post #10,183 of 15,537
Hello! Been lurking for a while but recently got some new gear and decided to join.

Currently have the Fearless F8F and Pioneer xdp-300r but wondering if i should move to something else.
Hope to learn a lot from the forum and the members here.

Jun 10, 2019 at 1:44 PM Post #10,184 of 15,537
Is there a way to change your headfi name without making a whole new account? My username is kinda like alphabet soup and I made it a while ago thinking I wouldn't post much. But now that I expect to be a bit more active, I would like to change it to an easier to pronounce name. I can't seem to directly message the mods for this request so I'm asking here

Users who are viewing this thread

Back