New Member Introductions thread
May 26, 2019 at 9:14 AM Post #10,141 of 15,539
Hi everyone,
Long time lurker here, about time I took the plunge and took part myself!
Long time music and hi-fi enthusiast - like pretty much all genres on the indie/alternative side of things. Some of my favourites of all time are:
  • The Cure
  • Bauhaus
  • The Smiths
  • Joy Division
  • Stereolab
  • Can
  • Led Zeppelin
  • Nina Simone
  • Coltrane, Davis, etc
  • Nils Frahm
  • Nick Cave
  • Iron Maiden, Sabbath
  • My Bloody Valentine
  • Nick Drake
  • Mogwai
  • etc...
Had a lot of vinyl in my single days, and had a pretty decent Linn Sondek/Naim system - had to sell all that when I needed to free up some cash!

Have started to build up a modest vinyl system again: Rega RP3, Marantz PM 6005, Dali Zensor 3 speakers. It sounds pretty sweet with the exception of the headphone amp, something I was surprised by given its specs!

Living in a flat with my partner in London limits really our listening to low volumes and headphones, hence my renewed interest in headphone systems in the last year or so.

Started with some Grado SR80i and loved their punch and liveliness, moved on to some SR325e which are also great (apart from comfort). I love their clarity and detail and I do not find them sibilant at all, unlike the Beyers I've tried (880, 990). Love the way guitars and real instruments sound through these.

Most of my listening these days is from CD quality lossless, on my Macbook Air through a Dragonfly Red. Tried TIDAL MQA but can't help feel the difference is due to the different master, not the high-res file format.

I now have "the itch" and have my eye out for something that complements the Grados (with genres they do not do so well with). Maybe some bassier closed backs, which will also be good for isolation when our neighbours are being less than respectful!

Something I've loved about reading headphone reviews is the discovery of new music!

Anyway, great to be here.

Regards,

John

May 28, 2019 at 8:34 AM Post #10,143 of 15,539
Hi All,

Not that new here as been a long time lurker but new to actually communicating :)

May 28, 2019 at 4:11 PM Post #10,144 of 15,539
Hello

Another very long term lurker finally signing up. I've dipped in and out of headfi for many years now, starting with reading a lot about Grados and their various mods, progressing to Go-Vibe and RSA headphone amps, Mr Speakers headphones, Chord Mojo/Poly, Monolith Liquid Platinum

This pretty much outlines my path into this hobby.

Currently tinkering with Roon and various endpoint setup after a spell listening to lots of vinyl again - still ongoing.

May 30, 2019 at 5:53 PM Post #10,148 of 15,539
Hi Everyone,

Really excited to be part of this forum! I'm not new to audio by any means, but there is always lots to learn!

May 31, 2019 at 2:54 PM Post #10,152 of 15,539
Hi everyone! I am rather new to the Hi-Fi scene, and just barely joined the Hi-Fi forms. I have only really been listening to high quality headphones for about 2 years now, but I have always been interested in audio quality, even before I knew what the term Hi-Fi meant.

My current set-up includes a LCD2C for my reference set, and my all rounder Sony WH1000XM3's for everything in between. Been pretty happy with the LCD2-C, but after extended listening, I think I might actually prefer dynamic to planar, wich is not the way I thought this would go. So now I am considering getting my hands on a focal elex or equivalent, as I hear they have good imaging, wich I have found myself craving.

If you have any recommendations on a fantastic imaging headphone, feel free to let me know! That's all I would want in a new pair at the moment.

I look forward to meeting y'all!

Cheers!
-Vartos

May 31, 2019 at 11:53 PM Post #10,155 of 15,539
Finally made an account after lurking for years. Have the Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 6XX and am obsessed with playing around with equalizers—both virtual and physical.

I own an LG V40 for its HiFi DAC and the built-in audio settings for apps like Tidal which don't have sound options (besides quality).

Recently came into possession of the EarStudio ES100 and am really satisfied with it.

That's all I've got to say about that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back