New Member Introductions thread
Dec 15, 2017 at 4:39 AM Post #6,993 of 15,551
Hi All,

Complete Newbie and clearly masses of info to read up on this site, so hope you will forgive the most basic question.

I have an Arcam Solo, the original UK type, and along with speakers use some old Sennheiser HD470 via the Solos standard headphone jack.

So would using a headphone amp actually give me any noticeable improvement ?

Was looking to upgrade the HD470s so thought a headphone amp might also hlep ..?

I have not been able to establish where the Solos headphone output is sourced from, be it simple resistors from the power amp outputs or some proper drive circuitry ?

thanks

Dec 16, 2017 at 5:11 PM Post #7,001 of 15,551
Hello All. I've been lurking around this wonderful site for quite a while, and now I'll be doing some posting. My audiophilia doesn’t have me on a quest for the perfectly accurate/flat sounding pair of cans. Rather, I prefer the fun of discovery. Finding just the right headphone for a particular genre, album, track, or even just a section of a song is is a great way to enjoy one’s music collection over and over again. Sometimes I want a headphone that’s great for listening to music, and other times I want a headphone that allows me to really “listen” to music. Looking at this list it’s obvious that I’ve gravitated towards Sennheisers, but it wasn’t for lack of auditioning headphones from lots of other manufacturers. Something about the Sennheiser sound just works for me. No matter what sound/gear you like, this is a great time to be an audiophile!

Dec 17, 2017 at 5:55 PM Post #7,004 of 15,551
Hello I have enjoyed visiting he site for years and now New to posting.

I have had IEM’s since my first pair of Shure E5 back in 2005. I had the Sensaphonics custom fit soft silicone molds made when I was at a NAMM show shortly after. Fast forward a few years I was using the SE535 and after deciding to upgrade I recently purchased the Westone W80. Knowing it’s all about the seal I decided to research custom molds and after reading reviews decided to get the Westone UM56. I figured I was getting the best of both! I selected the only option Westone gives you by using a local audiologist to get my impressions and purchase the UM56. This seems to be where the issues began. Fist, has anyone been to an audiologist that isn’t stuck in a time warp of 30 years ago? After calling several companies listed as preferred from the Westone site I found it to be very disappointing as they are not in the audio business, don’t understand it and most could not answer simple questions on Westone product. Am I going to get the otto-fit or silicon version? Actually I still don’t know what I got. This is a huge disconnect and seems to be limited by a Fragmented business style of not having a single source for impressions and audio sales. I understand what the audiologist does but it’s not rock science. Certainly someone can be trained to perform this portion and it doesn’t have to be the company primarily selling hearing aids.

I ended up going with the company that at least sounded like they had the most experience and knew the process. Nice people but as mentioned music and sound is not there forte, it’s aging clients and hearing aids. This makes you feel definitely out of place. My impression options where using a bite block or just open mouth. I did open mouth and the Dr mention towards the end of the time of drying to make a “chewing motion”. OK I did.

Now 3 weeks latter I go back to pick them up and no way its a fit to seal. So the Dr said they need to be sent back to Westone and “triple dipped”. I asked if this was normal and the answer was yes. So now another 2 weeks and I get them. Yes the seal feels much better. But this is where the remaining issues began. First I didn’t get my full impressions back. When asked they said Westone keeps them for 3 months and then discards them. When I called Westone to see if I can pay to have them shipped to me they told me they will only communicate with an audiologist. Well that seems just silly but ok, so I went back to the audiologist and hopefully I get them back.

Now on to the product. Saying it’s difficult to get the W80 with The UM56 in my ear is an understatement. The problem is the tips move and just slide on the nozzle when you are adjusting to position it in your ear. So you move the main housing forward or back to align with your ear and the tip stays in the same spot because is just slides on he post. This makes it impossible to adjust or even get them in your ear or hopes of somehow getting them to seal. The 3rd time attempting to get the right fit and I noticed the faceplate broke. I read reviews about faceplates breaking on older Westone versions but thought that was fixed on the W80. Apparently not. So I can’t get them in my ears, or adjust them and if I do the product is already breaking? The only fix I can think of is using some type of short term glue to get the tips to not slide.

So any suggestions?
Am I the only one that thinks the CIEM business needs improvement by offering a total solution and recognizing the buying experience sucks with the inclusion of the traditional hearing aid side of the equation as being dated?

Has anyone used SpinFit tips?

I can’t believe this is as good as it gets!

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back