New Member Introductions thread
Aug 20, 2017 at 2:32 AM Post #6,317 of 15,538
Hi all,

My name is Tara, a long time Head-Fi creep, and first time poster. I work as a social worker, which is irrelevant apart from the fact that it acts as confirmation that I totally can't afford this hobby.

My foray into the audiophile world started off with the innocent purchase of my first pair of 'decent' IEMs in the Klipsch Image S4. I really didn't know how to care for earbuds back then, and would just yank them out of my bag for my commute to school and work when I was too lazy to stuff it back into its case. So OF COURSE a loose wire had me back on the market for a new pair of IEMs by the next year. I really did my research this time and found this https://www.head-fi.org/threads/mul...audio-earphones-added-04-03-16-p-1106.478568/ lovely thread and bought myself a pair of JVC HA-FXT90s. Annnnd I lost them within the year (they were so fun and sparkly!!) when I forgot them on the bleachers while playing in a dodgeball match (yeah, kinda random). My next pair was the HIFIMAN 400a, which I still have tucked away in my closet, and where they will likely remain except for when I hit the gym. This was because when I first heard my first pair of on-ear headphones, and realized what I was missing out on (dat bass and soundstage), there was no turning back. I was going to go big or go home, and promptly purchased my Oppo PM-3, and later, a HTC 10 to respectfully drive them and make them sing. This unaffordable obsession with sound was now informing my phone upgrade decisions. But this wasn't the end. Oh no, because then I discovered Massdrop. And bought an Xduoo XD-05. And joined the drop for the HIFIMAN HE4XX (I know, having two planars instead of saying going in on the HD6XX drop. What was I thinking?). I am now currently dutifully waiting for my Burson Opamp V5i to arrive to swap into my Xduoo, and plan to buy Best In the Verse cables for my HE4XX in December.

So in conclusion, the following is, was, and/or will be my gear:

Klipsch Image S4 (written off)
JVC HA-FXT90 (lost)
HIFIMAN 400a
Xduoo XD-05 (soon to be with Burson Opamp V5i)
HIFIMAN HE4XX avec custom cables (in December)

???

Stax SR-009 + HeadAmp Blue Hawaii SE (in 2050)!!!

How am I supposed to afford avocado toast when I have a seriously diagnosable case of audiophilia!? Thoughtful answers to this first world problem would be much appreciated.

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2017 at 12:11 PM Post #6,319 of 15,538
Hi All,

Just want to say hi to all members and thanks for allowing me to join this community.

I'm from Canada and just recently set my old rigs out after stored them due to work and family.

Anyway I hope to hang around a bit and interact with other members.

Cheers...

Aug 20, 2017 at 4:33 PM Post #6,320 of 15,538
Hi all,

My name is Tara, a long time Head-Fi creep, and first time poster. I work as a social worker, which is irrelevant apart from the fact that it acts as confirmation that I totally can't afford this hobby.

My foray into the audiophile world started off with the innocent purchase of my first pair of 'decent' IEMs in the Klipsch Image S4. I really didn't know how to care for earbuds back then, and would just yank them out of my bag for my commute to school and work when I was too lazy to stuff it back into its case. So OF COURSE a loose wire had me back on the market for a new pair of IEMs by the next year. I really did my research this time and found this https://www.head-fi.org/threads/mul...audio-earphones-added-04-03-16-p-1106.478568/ lovely thread and bought myself a pair of JVC HA-FXT90s. Annnnd I lost them within the year (they were so fun and sparkly!!) when I forgot them on the bleachers while playing in a dodgeball match (yeah, kinda random). My next pair was the HIFIMAN 400a, which I still have tucked away in my closet, and where they will likely remain except for when I hit the gym. This was because when I first heard my first pair of on-ear headphones, and realized what I was missing out on (dat bass and soundstage), there was no turning back. I was going to go big or go home, and promptly purchased my Oppo PM-3, and later, a HTC 10 to respectfully drive them and make them sing. This unaffordable obsession with sound was now informing my phone upgrade decisions. But this wasn't the end. Oh no, because then I discovered Massdrop. And bought an Xduoo XD-05. And joined the drop for the HIFIMAN HE4XX (I know, having two planars instead of saying going in on the HD6XX drop. What was I thinking?). I am now currently dutifully waiting for my Burson Opamp V5i to arrive to swap into my Xduoo, and plan to buy Best In the Verse cables for my HE4XX in December.

How am I supposed to afford avocado toast when I have a seriously diagnosable case of audiophilia!? Thoughtful answers to this first world problem would be much appreciated.
Welcome, Tara! It is a serious illness you have unfortunately contracted. From my own experience, it sadly seems to be a process of apparent Total Surrender. There may be a cure out there, but if there is, I haven't yet found it. Nonetheless--all the best with the toast and again, welcome.

Aug 20, 2017 at 6:34 PM Post #6,321 of 15,538
Hello!

Aug 20, 2017 at 6:34 PM Post #6,322 of 15,538
Welcome, Tara! It is a serious illness you have unfortunately contracted. From my own experience, it sadly seems to be a process of apparent Total Surrender. There may be a cure out there, but if there is, I haven't yet found it. Nonetheless--all the best with the toast and again, welcome.

Thank you for your kind words. It is good to know that others like me exist out there. Unfortunately I cannot afford to succumb to this disease, as the progression of my Foodie Syndrome is far more advanced, and slowly consumes me and my paycheck both. I only hope that my struggle against this condition leaves me stronger, and with a deeper appreciation of the unique gifts audiophilia bequeaths upon its victims. As long as I don't enter stage IV audiophilia and begin purchasing $6000 cables at the whimsy of the placebo faeries, I think I may still yet be able to live a normal life and enjoy its simple pleasures. Cheers.

Aug 21, 2017 at 11:01 AM Post #6,323 of 15,538
Hello everyone my name's Martin and I'm new here.
I'm also pretty new to headphones but am really enjoying listening to them and have now bought a little amp to drive them with.
I have the JVC HA-RX700 and 900 and the amp is a Nobsound NS-08e with Russian tubes.
I hope to lern a lot from you guy's and hopefully contribute where possible.

Regards Martin

Aug 21, 2017 at 11:38 AM Post #6,324 of 15,538
Hi,

My name is Tanet from Thailand. I'm fairly new to the head-fi community. However I have read quite a number of posts and finally signed up to be a member.

My main audio gear included
Audeze LCD-XC
Woo WA22
Ayre Qb9 dsd
Audioquest Diamond USB cable from PC > DAC
JPS Superconductor v3 XLR interconnect from DAC to AMP
DHC Com4 XLR 3pin for headphone
Shunyata Venom HC AC cable for power distributor
Shunyata Venom Digital AC cable for DAC
Shunyata Viper cable for Amp
Isotek Evo3 polaris
Wattgate evo gold 380au wall outlet

I am getting into this hobby and really enjoy to read reviews and opinions from other people.

Aug 21, 2017 at 3:32 PM Post #6,325 of 15,538
Hi, I'm relatively new to the hobby itself but I've had many years of music production and studio work in the past that sometimes leads me to be rather picky about quality. This forum has helped me greatly in this respect when researching products, as I'm being very patient in hunting around for some upgrades to my desktop setup lately. My portable setup is Kinera H3 IEMs with a Cayin C5 amplifier and the desktop setup I'm looking to upgrade is V-MODA Crossfade LP headphones with a Magni/Modi stack.

Looking forward to being a part of this community! Thanks for all the great discussion here that has already helped me along the way.

Aug 21, 2017 at 6:05 PM Post #6,326 of 15,538
Hi, I'm relatively new to the hobby itself but I've had many years of music production and studio work in the past that sometimes leads me to be rather picky about quality. This forum has helped me greatly in this respect when researching products, as I'm being very patient in hunting around for some upgrades to my desktop setup lately. My portable setup is Kinera H3 IEMs with a Cayin C5 amplifier and the desktop setup I'm looking to upgrade is V-MODA Crossfade LP headphones with a Magni/Modi stack.

Looking forward to being a part of this community! Thanks for all the great discussion here that has already helped me along the way.
Welcome @Six Sonatas! As we say around here--sorry about your wallet... ---)

Aug 22, 2017 at 12:07 PM Post #6,327 of 15,538
As a new member I have a recommendation. What do you think? My guess is in any community there will be people who know each other and for people who are new that information is not made available. My recommendation is to show the new members who are the people connected to each other. I believe other new members would be beneficiary to this knowledge. It's just that in this world of connectiveness, we no longer have a world that we used to know. And most importantly people use connections to manipulate. That's my problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back