New Member Introductions thread
Apr 2, 2016 at 11:45 PM Post #3,421 of 15,551
Hi I have been a lurker for years, just finally making an account
dt880smile.png

Apr 4, 2016 at 1:48 AM Post #3,424 of 15,551
Ok so I've got one question how many posts do you need to be a belt to create a new thread? Bc I have a question about what kind of headphones I should get for a specific genre and I'm to lazy to go through all of the threads and Google isn't really helping me either

Apr 4, 2016 at 12:52 PM Post #3,426 of 15,551
Greetings! What should I say about myself? I'm passionate about sound quality, but I rarely have money to spend on gear, so I try to make it count. (Especially since I'm straddling the home AV, car audio, and portable/headphone worlds!)

My current portable kit:
Ultrasone Hfi-580 closed cans
Bose IE (upgraded with IE2 silicone tips)
Electric Avenues PA2V2 amp
iPhone 6 (iTunes/Apple Music)
Google Nexus 7, 2013 (Jriver/Eos/Jremote)

Apr 5, 2016 at 3:49 AM Post #3,428 of 15,551
Hello to everyone! I've been a lurker here for some years back. Initially, I made my first account way back early 2000s but between then and now, I wasn't able to constantly visit the site. I then forgot my account details and became a lurker, visiting once in a while. I decided to make a new account now since I've started to acquire some gears again.

By the way, for people here who have been into this hobby for a long time, what DAP can you recommend which has an optical out and costing a little bit more or less than $500? I'm thinking of getting a good DAP to pair with my Chord Mojo since I've only got my smartphone and FiiO X3ii for now. I would appreciate it if anyone can suggest some DAPs with the mentioned specs. Thanks in advance!

Apr 5, 2016 at 6:53 AM Post #3,429 of 15,551
Hi All,

I'm new here and great to meet you all. Awesome place to chat and share knowledge of experiences here.
I'm from the tip of Africa, so welcome all.

Hope i can also contribute to all threads discussions

Apr 5, 2016 at 10:45 AM Post #3,430 of 15,551
Hi everyone! Lurker for a few months. Fell in the rabbit hole searching for the holy grail of audio... Trying to decide to go for Liquid Carbon or wait for Liquid Spark to pair with Ether C.

Awesome website for information!! Thanks to everyone who posts here.

Apr 5, 2016 at 11:17 PM Post #3,431 of 15,551
I've filled out my profile information, but my profile still says "The rest of your profile will become visible after you've been active in the forums".  Is there a certain number of posts I need to make before my profile information becomes visible?

Apr 6, 2016 at 5:18 AM Post #3,432 of 15,551
  I've filled out my profile information, but my profile still says "The rest of your profile will become visible after you've been active in the forums".  Is there a certain number of posts I need to make before my profile information becomes visible?

You need to make a set number of active posts etc to show you're not a spammer - yes

Apr 6, 2016 at 8:28 AM Post #3,433 of 15,551
Listening to music has been a great pleasure for as long as I can recall.  I've always tinkered within a budget looking for the available sweet spots: started with a Dynaco kit in the 60's, AR turntable and speakers and thought it was pretty great.  At some point I realized that it was not only the notes but the spaces in between them and the sense of physical space in a recording that pulled me strongly into the music.  Sound stage began to have a lot of meaning and a lot of my tinkering has had to do with creating a warm and lively stage, with distinct placement and separation. For many years had a system in my studio with used ADS L810 speakers, a Sonic Frontiers SFL-1 preamp, and various amps that was very satisfying.  Explored quadrophonics, binaural recordings, digital processors like the mini-Ambio and found the latter to be the least expensive and most interesting for playing with the sound stage. 

I've used headphones to listen on the go, looking for comfort and sound/cost balance. Just flashed back to my first set of Sennheiser's with yellow foam pads and black plastic headband with 1/4" output hooked directly into speaker connectors from an 8 track mounted under my seat in an old Volvo.  The Mass Turnpike changed from a place for too much boring introspection to my private listening room overnight. 

Since moving I've not had the room for my speaker set up and the room is too harsh and narrow with few options for modifying.  Recently sold my gear and decided to explore the best headphone listening I could afford.  Life is short, my hearing is a late 40's stereo model limiting what it makes sense to pursue, but decided to start with solid quality gear.  The stereo sale paid for a used set of Audeze LCD-X phones with a Schiit Modi 2/Magni 2 combo and the sound quality of FLAC files ripped by dbPowerAmp has been stellar.  I expected the "in-my-head" listening experience with its attendant change in sound stage experience.  I've come to appreciate the different notion of sound stage that I am becoming more aware of as I listen, especially as I calm down and listen at more reasonable volumes. I do miss the palpable, physical feeling of listening with room speakers, but it is not a deal breaker at this point. (The tinkerer is already wondering how I might sync a room speaker low end with my headphones to see if I can get some of that physicality without muddying the planar sound, but that's for another post.)

Bought Schiit combo to get started while I explored value of more costly options, particularly interested in remote control.  After a good bit of reading, I'm awaiting delivery of a Burson Virtuoso Conductor 2+ from their Indiegogo campaign and will be curious about effects on sound stage and detail.  Interested also in IEM's with portable amp/dac and considering used Shure se864 or Noble 6 with Oppo HA-2.

I used to dither about searching for the right item and glad to say I'm much better at moving ahead, trying and selling, realizing I can create the home comparisons I want for the cost of used purchases minus resale.  I may end up back in the room speaker world, exploring smaller, self-amplified near-field setups, but I'm glad to be in the midst of this headphone world.  McClelland

Users who are viewing this thread

Back