New MEIER AUDIO headphone amp "CORDA CLASSIC"
Mar 11, 2014 at 6:44 AM Post #256 of 501

Jan suspected that "CORDA amplifiers do not produce a WOW-effect". I am not sure this is true. When you at first time hear a neutral sounding good quality equipment like the Classic, it is possible that they do not give you an immediate WOW -feeling, especially if you have been accustomed to hear equipments exaggerating bass and dynamic. But if you have enough patience and keep on listening to them, after a while you start to hear details and nuances in the music you have not heard before. At this point come the WOW -feelings and they continue to keep on coming after that.

Well said 314Stone! 
beerchug.gif

Mar 11, 2014 at 3:53 PM Post #257 of 501

Jan suspected that "CORDA amplifiers do not produce a WOW-effect". I am not sure this is true. When you at first time hear a neutral sounding good quality equipment like the Classic, it is possible that they do not give you an immediate WOW -feeling, especially if you have been accustomed to hear equipments exaggerating bass and dynamic. But if you have enough patience and keep on listening to them, after a while you start to hear details and nuances in the music you have not heard before. At this point come the WOW -feelings and they continue to keep on coming after that.

I can only agree to that. I have bought and borrowed several other amplifiers to compare with my Concerto over the years and even though some of them had that initial wow-factor they all failed in the long run. The Concerto (and Classic I assume) just plays music the way it is supposed to sound. I do not have a desktop rig at the moment but when I am going to get one again I will not look anywhere else than at a Meier amplifier.

Mar 11, 2014 at 7:24 PM Post #258 of 501
Hello all. Out of curiosity I wondered what settings you were using on the Classic.
I'm a recent buyer along with the T1. Tried experimenting with high and low gain. Though I'm still getting used to the new gear, I don't feel the need to use the high gain button for the T1. I suppose that option is there for other headphones more difficult to drive?

Also if anyone is using the Classic with the Daccord I wondered whether you had any views on crossfeed - i.e. activate on both equipment or just the one?

From my short time experimenting, activating crossfeed on just the Daccord seems to agree with me - though it probably is my imagination...

Mar 12, 2014 at 3:49 AM Post #259 of 501
I prefer high gain for the T1, (really haven't done an extensive A/B comparison of the sound from high gain vs low gain setting) maybe its just for mental satisfaction that I have more headroom on the volume knob
rolleyes.gif
. I also prefer playing with the settings on the DAC & leave the Classic settings on normal.

Mar 12, 2014 at 5:24 AM Post #260 of 501
I think the gain switch has more to do with the source music rather than the headphones.

High gain is only required for me when I use a really lousy source, like my phone.

Some movies for some reason also have ridicuously low output volume.

Mar 15, 2014 at 10:05 AM Post #262 of 501
I been listening to theLCD x on low gain and using the alpha dog sometime with high gain but they both work on the low setting well. The amplifier just plays music. Very neutral with good transparency. Been using it steady now since it arrived with the Daccord. The ampliifer is excellent as is the daccord.  Will run the Th900 and the hd800 some this week and waiting for the LCD XC. 

Mar 15, 2014 at 10:09 AM Post #263 of 501
It has amazing synergy with TH900 & T1, the HD 800 though sounds very mediocre on it IMHO, its not horrible but not very good either. I used to think it does a good job on HD 800, but that was before I heard the HD 800 on Tubes.

Mar 15, 2014 at 10:25 AM Post #264 of 501
I have the Woo WA5 as my reference amplifier so not worried and will compare it to the WA5 but thats asking the classic to do alot considering the WA5 with tubes is 4500.00 .  I will see how it compares to the newly arrived Heed Canalot.

Mar 15, 2014 at 10:36 AM Post #266 of 501
The HD800 and T1 are both excellent for tube amplifiers as is the case for many higher impedance cans.  The tonality of tube amplifiers get  most of it right. The biggest difference Iam hearing on the two is the increased transparency and soundstage using the WA5,   but I been listening mostly with the Classic with the daccord since it got here and have not wanted to shut it off. That is telling me its a good musical amplifier. 

Mar 15, 2014 at 10:41 AM Post #267 of 501
The difference between the Classic vs. WA6 / Btlhd Crack was very minimal for T1, I could happily listen to T1 on any of them. T1 is better on WA22 but It is not fair to compare Classic with WA22, as that's another league.

Mar 15, 2014 at 10:59 AM Post #268 of 501
  The difference between the Classic vs. WA6 / Btlhd Crack was very minimal for T1, I could happily listen to T1 on any of them. T1 is better on WA22 but It is not fair to compare Classic with WA22, as that's another league.

The  Classic is holding up well for the money and is a good value. The WA22 with upgrade tubes is 4 x more expensive.  I dont have the Woo amps here to compare anymore except my WA5 which is really not a fair assessment but the Classic is not choking. LOL

Mar 15, 2014 at 1:05 PM Post #269 of 501
  It has amazing synergy with TH900 & T1, the HD 800 though sounds very mediocre on it IMHO, its not horrible but not very good either. I used to think it does a good job on HD 800, but that was before I heard the HD 800 on Tubes.

I'm glad you wrote this post. I was about to order HD800 (and the Corda stack later next week) but now I think changed my mind, AGAIN. I'm gonna go with the T1 since there's so much positive feedback about them paired with the Corda stack here. Can't go wrong with this setup, I hope.

Mar 15, 2014 at 3:43 PM Post #270 of 501
The Classic is not bad with the the HE 6 , wasn't expecting this  after I've read how difficult these are to drive in order get good sound. Bass is decent, Highs are smooth, which is not the case when a HP is under amped.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back