New MEIER AUDIO headphone amp "CORDA CLASSIC"
Dec 4, 2014 at 5:41 AM Post #346 of 501
The DACCORD has two outputs : a fixed one and a variable one :wink:

Dec 4, 2014 at 9:00 AM Post #348 of 501

I got my Meier combo and the LCD-3F and have been listening for the past couple of days.

First thing I noticed about the Daccord and Classic was that the build quality is excellent. I like the plain black design, the finish is excellent and they are much smaller than I expected.

They also sound great. Very clean, clear and transparent sound. They drive the LCD-3F easily below 12-o'clock at high gain. The sound is very well controlled across the whole spectrum - it is not overly bright but treble detail is very good, bass extension is excellent and the mids are good. Basically it seems to present things as they should be. It seems to be a great setup for the price.

May I ask if the Daccord has variable output level? I use my Corda Classic with the Audio-gd NFB-1 to drive my HE-500, and I hardly have the volume knob set beyond 10 o'clock position at low gain.

http://headphone.guru/meier-audio-corda-classic-daccord/

Dec 10, 2014 at 5:59 PM Post #349 of 501

those interested  Eric neff

Very nicely written. My favorite line is probably: "The fact that I’m seriously comparing the two should shed light on how the Meier overperforms it’s pricepoint in a neutral and honest way." :)

Dec 10, 2014 at 6:02 PM Post #350 of 501

those interested  Eric neff

Very nicely written. My favorite line is probably: "The fact that I’m seriously comparing the two should shed light on how the Meier overperforms it’s pricepoint in a neutral and honest way."
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks Avi! The spread of cost vs performance is narrowing. This is a good thing!

Dec 11, 2014 at 11:36 AM Post #351 of 501
I purchased 100ohm and 75ohm resistor adaptors from ebay after reading the recent innerfidelity article. Received word that they should arrive soon. It was an interesting article, and at least for me it was new information, as I was under the understanding that low output impedance was the ideal setting for amps. I think a shorter and simpler version of article is on the Meier homepage which I'd not read before.
I am hoping to try the 100ohm with the T1. I fear the 75ohm resistor will be too high for the 42ohm audio-technicas (they seem to have pretty flat impedance curves), but we'll see.

Just wondering whether other Classic owners have experimented with this.

ps. speaking of learning new things - this from the O2 +ODAC thread regarding software volume settings, that the optimum setting should be a notch below 100%. Changed my settings accordingly.

Jan 25, 2015 at 10:48 AM Post #352 of 501
Feb 17, 2015 at 9:16 PM Post #353 of 501
I've been looking for a SS amp/dac combo to go with my Lyr/Bifrost set up.  I've whittled it down to two choices at the same price point.  It will be either the Meier Corda Classic/Daccord combo, or the Oppo HA-1.

My current major cans include the HE-500, T1, HD600, Alpha Dog and Phillips Fidelio X2.  I am wondering if anyone has heard both, and what impressions they may have.  I like the Oppo combo mostly because it's the only Amp/Dac I've seen with a direct USB port that can be used with an IOS device.  I often dump my complete iTunes files onto an iPod Classic, and this is a really easy way to plug into a good amp/dac.  However, I'm not crazy about Sabre dacs, and have heard the Oppo can be quite bright - annoyingly so.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.  Since both price out at about $1200 USD, it's a hard choice.  Thanks.

Feb 17, 2015 at 9:39 PM Post #354 of 501
  I've been looking for a SS amp/dac combo to go with my Lyr/Bifrost set up.  I've whittled it down to two choices at the same price point.  It will be either the Meier Corda Classic/Daccord combo, or the Oppo HA-1.

My current major cans include the HE-500, T1, HD600, Alpha Dog and Phillips Fidelio X2.  I am wondering if anyone has heard both, and what impressions they may have.  I like the Oppo combo mostly because it's the only Amp/Dac I've seen with a direct USB port that can be used with an IOS device.  I often dump my complete iTunes files onto an iPod Classic, and this is a really easy way to plug into a good amp/dac.  However, I'm not crazy about Sabre dacs, and have heard the Oppo can be quite bright - annoyingly so.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.  Since both price out at about $1200 USD, it's a hard choice.  Thanks.

First thing is, I've never had a chance to hear the Oppo, so I have no idea how it compares. I am using the Corda Classic (with a DAC from a different manufacturer), mostly with my HE-500 but occasionally with my HD-650 and Mad Dogs 3.2 as well - and I absolutely love it. It's a fantastic amp for those phones. I would not hesitate to get it.

Another tip I have for you is, don't buy new. Because the Meier stack has been in the market for a few years now, they pop in the For Sale section every now and again, and you can get them for half the price, or even less. I got the Classic for well under $400 in that way. Given that the Oppo is newer, you'll see less of these for sale, and those that will go would be closer to retail compared with 2nd hand Meier gear.

Also - re-ipod classic - I used to use an Onkyo ND-S1 transport connected to the DAC. It takes the data out of your ipod and sends it straight to the DAC by either coax or optical, and has a video out and USB in as well. I'm selling mine since I changed from ipod to a DX-90.

Best of luck with your search!

Feb 18, 2015 at 2:42 AM Post #355 of 501
Buying used is often a good idea but I think Jan Meier's products are amongst the rare ones I easily advice tto buy new.  Jan is an honest and Kind Guy to deal with and I don't think he fools us with his prices. Moreover the value of Meier products is really that good. even if we buy new.

We should reward such craftmen :wink:

Feb 18, 2015 at 4:18 AM Post #356 of 501
^ +1

Feb 18, 2015 at 4:27 AM Post #357 of 501
  Buying used is often a good idea but I think Jan Meier's products are amongst the rare ones I easily advice tto buy new.  Jan is an honest and Kind Guy to deal with and I don't think he fools us with his prices. Moreover the value of Meier products is really that good. even if we buy new.

We should reward such craftmen :wink:

Very true. They are very high value even at list price.

Feb 18, 2015 at 7:39 AM Post #358 of 501
Very true. They are very high value even at list price.

Does anyone know the specs for the Classic? How much mw can it put into 50ish ohms and 300 ohms. Im on the hunt for an SS amp for my HE-500. This and Lake People G109 are high on the list, as well as the A-GD NFB-28. Im finding the appearance of the Meier seductive.

Feb 18, 2015 at 9:14 AM Post #359 of 501
Does anyone know the specs for the Classic? How much mw can it put into 50ish ohms and 300 ohms. Im on the hunt for an SS amp for my HE-500. This and Lake People G109 are high on the list, as well as the A-GD NFB-28. Im finding the appearance of the Meier seductive.

Skylab's review of the Classic had some details on power output:

Quote:

The Classic, like many solid state amps, outputs significantly more power into low impedance loads than high impedance ones.  Jan provided me the following information:

1. Maximum output current: 500 mA / channel
  2. Maximum gain factor: 4,9 x (+14 dB)
  3. With a source signal of 2V rms the limiting factor normally is the gain factor. Maximum output voltage becomes 9,8 V rms.
  4. At 600 Ohm: 160 mW / channel
  5. At 300 Ohm: 320 mW / channel
  6. At 50 Ohm: 1.9 W / channel
  7. At 30 Ohm: 3.2 W / channel

Feb 19, 2015 at 3:19 PM Post #360 of 501
Skylab's review of the Classic had some details on power output:

Quote:

The Classic, like many solid state amps, outputs significantly more power into low impedance loads than high impedance ones.  Jan provided me the following information:

• Maximum output current: 500 mA / channel
  • Maximum gain factor: 4,9 x (+14 dB)
  • With a source signal of 2V rms the limiting factor normally is the gain factor. Maximum output voltage becomes 9,8 V rms.
  • At 600 Ohm: 160 mW / channel
  • At 300 Ohm: 320 mW / channel
  • At 50 Ohm: 1.9 W / channel
  • At 30 Ohm: 3.2 W / channel

This amp looks wonderful for planars. It would be a nice setup to have beside a separate tube amp for higher impedance cans as well.

I am curious how this can be ideal for pairing with T1, as many write on that thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back