New MEIER AUDIO headphone amp "CORDA CLASSIC"
Feb 19, 2015 at 3:29 PM Post #361 of 501
This amp looks wonderful for planars. It would be a nice setup to have beside a separate tube amp for higher impedance cans as well.

I am curious how this can be ideal for pairing with T1, as many write on that thread.

I know Jan used the T1 when tunig his amp. The Classic does deliver what the T1 needs, so the basic level of electrical needs is fulfilled so to say.
Yes, the Classic has quite some power, especially with low impedance headphones... but that does not make is less suitable for the T1 (which is rated at 170mW Pmax if I remember correctly).

But besides electrical compatibility... if at all possible test it out. It simply fits.

Feb 19, 2015 at 3:36 PM Post #362 of 501
If the Classic is like the Jazz, It sounds good with everything from IEMs to planars. Very versatile amp.

Feb 19, 2015 at 3:45 PM Post #363 of 501
^^ Thoroughly endorse plakat and Sorrodje's posts above.

The Classic is wonderful with both the T1 (300R) and LCD3F (110R), and very good with my (darkish, more intimate) LCD2 rev 1 (50R).

The idea of using it alongside a tube amp is not a bad one. My Classic sits alongside a pair of high-quality (Decware) tube amps. The Decwares give sound-tailoring options and the Classic keeps them honest because even from tubes I prefer a clean, neutral-leaning sound. These days I would say there are subtle but complementary differences in strengths. Others - who tune less neutrally than me - might find greater differences.

Feb 19, 2015 at 3:54 PM Post #364 of 501
Yep. When I had the Corda Jazz , I used it as a reference for neutrality while I was rolling my tubes on another amp .

Maybe one day ,I'll wake up and understand that upgraditis is audiofoolery and I'll go back to a full Meier Stack and forget Head-fi.

Feb 19, 2015 at 3:56 PM Post #365 of 501
^^ Thoroughly endorse plakat and Sorrodje's posts above.

The Classic is wonderful with both the T1 (300R) and LCD3F (110R), and very good with my (darkish, more intimate) LCD2 rev 1 (50R).

The idea of using it alongside a tube amp is not a bad one. My Classic sits alongside a pair of high-quality (Decware) tube amps. The Decwares give sound-tailoring options and the Classic keeps them honest because even from tubes I prefer a clean, neutral-leaning sound. These days I would say there are subtle but complementary differences in strengths. Others - who tune less neutrally than me - might find greater differences.

Andre, Jan said the best word for his gear was "Honest". You nailed it.  
biggrin.gif

Feb 19, 2015 at 3:57 PM Post #366 of 501
^ Forget headfi :eek:

But honestly, I think my stack is almost done and I'll retire soon from head-fi a happier listener :)

Feb 19, 2015 at 3:59 PM Post #367 of 501
Hey Eric, good to see you're still monitoring this thread! Yep, Jan just makes great gear :beerchug:

Andre, Jan said the best word for his gear was "Honest". You nailed it.  :D

Feb 19, 2015 at 4:02 PM Post #368 of 501
+1 on versatility, at least with the headphones I own. I have to say that having experimented with a 100ohm resistor with the T1, I have stuck with that as a preference.

When I was researching for an amp to go with the T1, I also considered the Lake People products. They seem to be well regarded, specs and price look good too. Stumbling into this thread, and the meier sale with the T1 at the time swayed me. No regrets.

I'm also curious about tube amps, but not enough to go and buy one. Think I'm pretty set with the current rig, and I'm thankful. I want to keep things simple with a neutral amp... I've even been feeling recently 4 headphones is excessive, and thinking of whittling down my headphone collection.

Feb 19, 2015 at 4:09 PM Post #369 of 501
I still peruse equipment threads from time to time, but music threads are what excite me now on these forums.

There are some GREAT music threads where I've discovered, learnt and enjoyed a great deal of new music ,some from genres which I would not have otherwise approached. This gear gets me there.

Feb 19, 2015 at 4:11 PM Post #370 of 501
I had the LP G103. Sold it quickly.  I much much prefer the Corda Jazz .  I Still have (expensive) things to try in my HD800 rig but as soon as I'll be done with it , I'll buy a Meier Classic for a secondary universal rig  to play with different headphones.  I haven't explored too much the Planars thus far.
L3000.gif

Feb 19, 2015 at 5:36 PM Post #371 of 501
Feb 19, 2015 at 5:49 PM Post #372 of 501
I too have no desire to upgrade from the Classic.

Maybe I'll consider it only when Jan Meier introduces a new amp! 
gs1000.gif

Feb 19, 2015 at 10:54 PM Post #373 of 501
  Yep. When I had the Corda Jazz , I used it as a reference for neutrality while I was rolling my tubes on another amp .

Maybe one day ,I'll wake up and understand that upgraditis is audiofoolery and I'll go back to a full Meier Stack and forget Head-fi.

Or you could do what I did, and fulfill your audiofoolery by adding a Classic to your Jazz. Jazz at work , Classic at home (not risking the Classic at work!).

:)

Feb 20, 2015 at 4:38 AM Post #374 of 501

Just because you go to a full Meier stack doesn't mean you can forget about Head-fi. :) I changed my Stagedac+Concerto to get the Daccord+Classic so upgraditis will keep getting back to you every time Jan produces a new model :wink:

And speaking of reference. The good thing about the Meier amps is that they make a much better core of my system allowing me to experiment with more headphones and IEM's because I know that the source and amp are neutral. The only headphones I have found that does not pair that well with Jans desktop amps are Grados. But Grados somehow sound better using my Quickstep than Classic. 

Feb 20, 2015 at 1:05 PM Post #375 of 501
^ True about grados. I enjoy them more straight out of an ipod or out of a cheap Little Dot Hybrid 1 than any of my other amps.

Interesting to hear the Quickstep is a better match.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back