New MEIER AUDIO headphone amp "CORDA CLASSIC"
May 29, 2014 at 5:03 PM Post #301 of 501
^ does the Master 9 have more treble?

May 29, 2014 at 5:13 PM Post #302 of 501
the right one to ask is Punit, the previous owner of the Meier Audo and the current owner of the Master 9, with my Flac J-pop i am the wrong one to ask, he is here on the thread , i think you  know him XD

yet on my side i will say that i  didn't enjoy the Treble on a lot of tracks! even with the TH600, even the Pico Power was better for me, and i am a Treble head :p yet also once again my collection is J-pop , so better not to ask me :p yet i said how did  i feel about it.

the Meier atm is doing way better for me on everything, which mean the problem was the revealing nature of the Master 9.

May 29, 2014 at 5:24 PM Post #303 of 501
No i wouldn't say it has that much more treble (maybe slightly more extension but its not bright), It is more dynamic, so if your source DAC or recording or HP is treble happy it will be in your face. But AGD gear are notorious for requiring around 500 hrs of burn in to settle down, so lets see how it goes.

I love the Meier Classic but my very close friend also bought one after he heard mine with TH 900 (he immediately bought both the next day 
biggrin.gif
) & I have access to it anytime. So I decided to trade mine to try something new.

May 29, 2014 at 6:14 PM Post #304 of 501
^ Thanks both :beerchug:

Jun 4, 2014 at 12:36 AM Post #305 of 501
Ahh - just bought a Classic. What a great amplifier. I tried to live without a desktop rig for some time but as soon as I got the Classic I knew how much I missed my old Concerto. Glad to have one again. The Meier amps really makes my T5p shine. I love that it has two inputs, that was something I missed on the Concerto. 

Jun 4, 2014 at 12:44 AM Post #306 of 501
  Ahh - just bought a Classic. What a great amplifier. I tried to live without a desktop rig for some time but as soon as I got the Classic I knew how much I missed my old Concerto. Glad to have one again. The Meier amps really makes my T5p shine. I love that it has two inputs, that was something I missed on the Concerto. 

How would you say that the Classic compares to the Concerto? apart from the 2nd headphones input. I own and love the Concerto and am wondering if it's worth trying to upgrade to a Classic (or other amps).

Jun 4, 2014 at 1:02 AM Post #307 of 501

How would you say that the Classic compares to the Concerto? apart from the 2nd headphones input. I own and love the Concerto and am wondering if it's worth trying to upgrade to a Classic (or other amps).

It is some months since I sold the Concerto so I find it hard to give any direct comparison. But the first time I listened to the Classic I had a feeling that it sounded better than I remembered the Concerto. I felt that the Classic has more air and space and just a bit more rock-solid in the soundstaging and imaging. But whether it was because I had missed the sound so much or if it really is that much better is hard for me to say. 

If you love your Concerto and just want to have a more refined version of the Concerto with more features, with a little bit better sound much like the Concerto and still an amplifier which gets out of the way and just plays the music as it is then the Classic is fully worth the upgrade. 

If you like your Concerto then keep it!!!!! I should never have sold mine and you will probably not get a good price if you decide to sell it. They do not sell for much these days. I would have kept my Concerto and used it at my work office. But if someone is looking for a GREAT second hand amplifier a used Concerto is a bargain. I think I got my Classic at a good price too. I think I am the third owner but Jan Meiers gear never breaks apart in any way so I did not hesitate to buy a used one. 

If you want to look at other amplifiers then you have to search for a long time and if you find anything sounding this good, in the same price range, I would like to know what you find :) I have tried a lot of other amplifiers at several meets during the years, I even bought some and had to give them back to the dealer after comparing with the Concerto, but never found one in the same price range that could match the Concerto.

Jun 4, 2014 at 1:19 AM Post #308 of 501
  It is some months since I sold the Concerto so I find it hard to give any direct comparison. But the first time I listened to the Classic I had a feeling that it sounded better than I remembered the Concerto. I felt that the Classic has more air and space and just a bit more rock-solid in the soundstaging and imaging. But whether it was because I had missed the sound so much or if it really is that much better is hard for me to say. 

If you love your Concerto and just want to have a more refined version of the Concerto with more features, with a little bit better sound much like the Concerto and still an amplifier which gets out of the way and just plays the music as it is then the Classic is fully worth the upgrade. 

If you like your Concerto then keep it!!!!! I should never have sold mine and you will probably not get a good price if you decide to sell it. They do not sell for much these days. I would have kept my Concerto and used it at my work office. But if someone is looking for a GREAT second hand amplifier a used Concerto is a bargain. I think I got my Classic at a good price too. I think I am the third owner but Jan Meiers gear never breaks apart in any way so I did not hesitate to buy a used one. 

If you want to look at other amplifiers then you have to search for a long time and if you find anything sounding this good, in the same price range, I would like to know what you find :) I have tried a lot of other amplifiers at several meets during the years, I even bought some and had to give them back to the dealer after comparing with the Concerto, but never found one in the same price range that could match the Concerto.

Thanks heaps! when I started to really get into the head-fi business some months ago (I've been an avid headphones listener for all my life, but only now started to have enough spare money to buy amps, DACs, and proper headphones) I bought a Concerto in excellent condition of 350 AUD (~325$ US), and have been enjoying it with a range of headphones. I am really loving the sound! and I don't know if you can get a better used amp for that kind of money. I am definitely going to keep it.

Jun 4, 2014 at 2:09 PM Post #309 of 501
+1 good advice from rasmushorn

Jun 27, 2014 at 12:02 PM Post #310 of 501
I have just received my repaired Corda Classic back from Jan today. I bought the amp used and got a ceramic capacitor blown the 2nd time I listened to it. It was great customer service from Jan who honored the warranty repair even I got the amp used.

I am now listening to the 2013 Les Miserables movies OST with the portable DAP iBasso DX90 and the Yamaha HPH-MT220 now. Great sounding amp it is. Very close to a "wire with gain" with just the tiniest amount of sweetening. Low gain, no bass boost, 1st level crossfeed is the setting I use.

Jul 24, 2014 at 12:37 PM Post #312 of 501
Aug 8, 2014 at 6:50 AM Post #314 of 501
  Hey guys, has anyone heard the HiFiMan HE560 on the Classic? I am interested in buying the HE560 but I don't know if it will run to full effect on it.

Right now I'm listening to the HE-500 out of the Corda Concerto as I type and it sound marvellous. Before I bought the HE-500 I emailed Jan Meier and asked whether the Concerto is up to the task of driving planars. He assured me that it has plenty of power for most present-day planars - with the exception of the HE-6. I have to say he was absolutely right.

The Classic is supposed to be very similar to the Concerto, but perhaps a bit more powerful if I'm not mistaken. So, while I haven't heard the pairing, theoretically there should be no problem at all for the classic to drive the 560. And if it's anything like the Concerto - HE-500 pairing, you're in for a treat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back