New. Looking for an IEM that will blow my mind.
Dec 10, 2012 at 5:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

mb11

New Head-Fier
Hey friends, I am new to the forum, but not new to speaker and headphone appreciation. I have been enjoying a pair of ultrasone hfi 550's for a few years now, and I still love the hell out of them. To me, they sound great. Anyhow, they are not very mobile, and it is a pain to travel with them. I a, really searching for a winner of an in ear monitor for under 300$ usd. I listen primarily to softer music (Bon iver, Damien rice, Dave matthews, etc). Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
M

Dec 10, 2012 at 5:37 AM Post #2 of 16
Westone 4 is pretty much end game for me in iem. I have seen numerous posts that the w4 beats out people's ciem's several times the price.

Dec 10, 2012 at 8:59 AM Post #4 of 16
$300 will get you a Hybrid CIEM from Cosmic Ears, containing 2 x BA's and a Dynamic. It is the best IEM I have, by a considerable margin. Easily beats both my TF10 and my H100.

Dec 10, 2012 at 11:44 AM Post #9 of 16
The Sony EX1000, Westone UM3x, JVC FX700, Denon C300 and sennheiser IE80 are very good detailed IEMs with good punchy bass.

Dec 10, 2012 at 11:44 AM Post #10 of 16
For your type of music, the Etymotic HF5 would be close to perfection. I think they'd blow your mind too 
wink.gif

Dec 10, 2012 at 2:47 PM Post #12 of 16
I'd say that the UM3X or W4 would be a good fit for you. From the looks of it, your music isn't very bass-heavy and quite vocal dependent, so not sure a V-shaped IEM like the TF10 or the H-100 would be right for you. I'd say that a mid-centric sound plays to your music the best.

Dec 10, 2012 at 3:01 PM Post #13 of 16
Quote:
I'd say that the UM3X or W4 would be a good fit for you. From the looks of it, your music isn't very bass-heavy and quite vocal dependent, so not sure a V-shaped IEM like the TF10 or the H-100 would be right for you. I'd say that a mid-centric sound plays to your music the best.

This type of music is far from bass heavy. It's actually the stuff I listen to when I don't want a pulsing bass line.

I recommended the Etymotic HF5 because it's excellent with acoustic stuff that doesn't depend on bass for enjoyment.

Dec 10, 2012 at 3:18 PM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

This type of music is far from bass heavy. It's actually the stuff I listen to when I don't want a pulsing bass line.

I recommended the Etymotic HF5 because it's excellent with acoustic stuff that doesn't depend on bass for enjoyment.

I said "isn't very bass heavy" 
tongue.gif

So yeah, I agree, the HF5 is a good option too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back