new jvc victor studio headphone the HA-MX10-B
Dec 15, 2020 at 7:28 PM Post #106 of 125
I have had no issues with aftermarket for these.
I have bought at least 5 pairs of these Yifei ones, maybe more.
The other person in here I mentioned also has bought them and been just fine.
Only 2 links I can easily find right now in spoilers box, though not tried actual Sony parts places or online sources besides here.
Can't be much different with the overall quality of aftermarket stuff these days.

Your headband pad is going to leave a lot of sticky residue on the headband, and potentialy peel off the outer pleather coating if you remove them after it sets in place.
There must be a thinner cover that has the button snaps or zippers for cheap.
Yeah, there are thinner covers with zippers:https://www.amazon.se/pannband-komp...elar-gör-det-själv-installation/dp/B07GDNP7J4

But they dont look like they have much more padding than the stock though.

Dec 16, 2020 at 5:12 AM Post #108 of 125
Dec 16, 2020 at 2:16 PM Post #109 of 125
Some manufacturers do burn in their headphones (atleast Stax and Audeze) but kind of surprising at this price point.

Nice to see these getting some attention. Value is hard to beat. I still have mx100z but th900, Cascade, th-x00, n90q, d5000, d7100, El8 titanium, sine all gone. I do think some of those headphones are better than JVC but upgrade is not worth it considering closed back headphones are secondary option anyway.

Yeah me too been looking at the SS01/2 for ages. Not a lot of decent impressions, or at least decent reliable ones.
Every time I do consider them I end up not buying some, so maybe I get cold feet from reading stuff.
Same here. Somehow there is something else I "need" first. Never tried those wood headphones either.

Dec 16, 2020 at 2:21 PM Post #110 of 125
Some manufacturers do burn in their headphones (atleast Stax and Audeze) but kind of surprising at this price point.

Nice to see these getting some attention. Value is hard to beat. I still have mx100z but th900, Cascade, th-x00, n90q, d5000, d7100, El8 titanium, sine all gone. I do think some of those headphones are better than JVC but upgrade is not worth it considering closed back headphones are secondary option anyway.

Same here. Somehow there is something else I "need" first. Never tried those wood headphones either.
Well...based on how it usually goes for me. It is likely I will get the SS01/02 as well. :joy:
Not sure which of them is the better one though.

What would you consider an upgrade to the MX100 but with more bass quantity? Thats pretty much the only thing I want to change with the sound if I wanted an upgrade to these.

Dec 16, 2020 at 7:39 PM Post #111 of 125
Tough question. I don't think anything I've heard sounds quite like mx100. Dx700/dx1000 has some similarities but it's too different to be considered mx100z with more bass. Fostex, denon, campfire etc sound brittle compared to JVC's. Maybe something by ZMF? Just an idea, not a suggestion because only ZMF I've heard is atticus and that was for fifteen minutes.

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2020 at 7:42 PM Post #112 of 125
Tough question. I don't think anything I've heard sounds quite like mx100. Dx700/dx1000 has some similarities but it's too different to be considered mx100z with more bass. Fostex, denon, campfire etc sound brittle compared to JVC's. Maybe something by ZMF? Just an idea, not a suggestion because only ZMF I've hear is atticus and that was for fifteen minutes.
Another reason to try the SS01 then lol. :joy:

Dec 17, 2020 at 10:04 AM Post #113 of 125
Dec 17, 2020 at 4:10 PM Post #115 of 125
You were fast :) it seems they changed the cable or plug atleast with the V-version. Is the new plug still amphenol? I like the plug, it has very "buttery" grip on output. Feels very smooth.
Amphenol?

It is very smooth but it does have a textured area for extra grip (higher friction).

Dec 18, 2020 at 6:06 PM Post #116 of 125

Great video. It gives an outsider to Japanese culture, JVC, (specifically Victor Studio), a more in-depth perspective. For a fan of JVC, and Japanese audio products, this was a real treat. You can tell, that the JVC HA-MX100-Z is a serious headphone. Alot of time, heart, and soul went into the creation of this model. It was not designed to reproduce sound, as accurately as possible. The designers wanted the headphone to add color, richness, and character to music. :thumbsup:

Dec 19, 2020 at 8:39 PM Post #117 of 125
Amphenol?

It is very smooth but it does have a textured area for extra grip (higher friction).
Amphenol was manufacturer of the original plug. IMG_20201219_200029.jpg

Dec 20, 2020 at 2:29 AM Post #118 of 125
doesn't appear to be.
" In addition to adopting a high-quality 3.5mm plug, a 6.3mm conversion adapter is included."

No mention of the specific brand.
HA-MX100-V does use a screw-on threaded 6.3 adapter.
Seems like the silver spring strain relief also.(?)
HA-MX100-V PLUG.jpeg

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2020 at 7:46 AM Post #119 of 125
Amphenol was manufacturer of the original plug.IMG_20201219_200029.jpg
oh, nope it doesnt have that name on it.

doesn't appear to be.
" In addition to adopting a high-quality 3.5mm plug, a 6.3mm conversion adapter is included."

No mention of the specific brand.
HA-MX100-V does use a screw-on threaded 6.3 adapter.
Seems like the silver spring strain relief also.(?)
HA-MX100-V PLUG.jpeg
yeah it has a silver spring strain relief.

Dec 23, 2020 at 8:40 PM Post #120 of 125
Nickel, not silver, and absolutely not high quality in the least.

I swapped out my MX10's plug for a Qyfang plug from Aliexpress. Improved clarity, better bass response, wider soundstage as a result. Not a huge difference, but noticeable at any volume. The original plug is fairly low quality and also suffers a pinch of crosstalk (this reduces soundstage size).

Amphenol plugs are nice looking, but not any better than Neutriks in quality, unlike the XLR, RCA, and TRS plugs that do outdo Neutrik quality, in my experience.

I normally go for Switchcrafts for upgrade/replacement mini plugs, Oyaide or Viablue if using OCC copper wiring. Qyfang plugs are a bit nicer than other cheapies, and stylish to boot, and I like their pricing so they are my go to plugs for cheap repairs/upgrades so long as I'm not in a hurry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back