new jvc victor studio headphone the HA-MX10-B
Dec 10, 2020 at 7:19 PM Post #91 of 125
I'm a big fan of the JVC HA-FXT90 iem. Love the sound signature, of some JVC audio products. Which brings me here. Thinking of getting some new full-size headphones, and interested in the JVC HA-MX10-B. In addition, the price difference on Ebay, is about $50 more, for the JVC HA-MX100V, versus the MX-10-B. Has anyone tried both of these? Is the MX100V (or MX100Z), worth the extra money? If the sound is noticeably better, then I would be intrigued. Furthermore, it seems that the MX100V (and MX100Z), are more comfortable? (The headband?) If anyone has experience with both of these, would enjoy hearing your thoughts.

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2020 at 11:09 PM Post #92 of 125
I don't know about comfort of mx10 but mx100 also has issues with the headband. I never noticed it with music listening as I rarely listen music more than two hours in a row but when I game I can do it several hours in one sitting. Those bulges on top of the headband start to dig into my head. I suppose I could just take out those bulges with a knive. Never bothered as small break will help and I'm good to go for a few more hours.

Dec 11, 2020 at 2:29 PM Post #93 of 125
I don't know about comfort of mx10 but mx100 also has issues with the headband. I never noticed it with music listening as I rarely listen music more than two hours in a row but when I game I can do it several hours in one sitting. Those bulges on top of the headband start to dig into my head. I suppose I could just take out those bulges with a knive. Never bothered as small break will help and I'm good to go for a few more hours.

Great, thanks for the info. It is interesting, because your discomfort with the headband, may be worse, or non-existent for me. Since people's head's, come in all shapes and sizes. I guess the best thing to do, would be trying both of them on myself! But that would be nearly impossible, since these are a very Japanese product. Clearly these have most of their popularity in Japan, and I wager it would be very difficult, to find in a store in the USA, that would have them on for "preview", lol.

I owned the Sony MDR-V6, (made in Japan), that had a very similar structure. They were pretty comfortable, but not excellent. These JVC's look very close to the same shape, but have a slightly different design, with the headband, cups, etc. It is funny how different people are: Some people said that the Audio Technica ATH-A900X, was not good for people with small heads, since they didn't have enough "clamp force". (So these people came up with the "rubber band mod", to make the wings clamp tighter). Well, I have a small head, and had zero issues, with the ATH-A900X, right out of the box. In fact, it is the most comfortable headphones that I own, lol.

Dec 14, 2020 at 10:42 AM Post #94 of 125
These are amazing. A true hidden gem.

Thank you @Roderick for your posts in this thread, you managed to get me to buy this even though information is scarce.

I might do a full review on these, even though I dont have that many headphones, more information on these needs to be available. :thumbsup:

Dec 15, 2020 at 3:31 PM Post #95 of 125
The vocal and acoustic performance on these are absolutely GODLY.

I have 65 iems, 18 earbuds, 6 headphones (including the MX100V) and this has the best acoustic performance and is tied with the Tin Hifi P1 as my favorite vocal performer.

Dec 15, 2020 at 6:34 PM Post #96 of 125
Great news on the impressions !

It's always difficult to convey sound when someone is only reading text.
Thanks to all the posters in the thread here for attempting that.

Most everything I see says the 100Z and 100V are the same, then there are one or two reviews
by folks in Japan that have /tried both the 100V and 100Z where they seem to say
the 100V is slightly different but just barely.

> However this could easily be due to physical pad fit at the time ( hair in the way, stock pads etc ).
The stock pads are not much good I feel.
I forget if the factory also does the long hour presale burn-in on the new V model if not that may be another factor.
For sure they were mentioning the 100Z being a limited release for studio-direct sale, the new 100V being geared to general consumer market sales in larger numbers.

Don't hesitate to consider some replacement pads mentioned earlier in the thread here.
If you feel it is good now, there is still a little room for improvement !
The Z700 / Z1000 pads.
Some listings show regular flat MDR-V6 types, but find the few that are like the odd-looking original Sony Z700 / Z1000.
They are hard to confuse.
Comfort is bumped up, fit and seal is excellent compared to the stock pads.
With fit and proper seal the low end gets a slight boost and the sound improves overall.
Ears are kept at same distance from driver as stock pads more or less so no goofy sound changes.
Pretty sure that is also seen in GREQ's great charts.

I had been tempted to try the new 100V model also, just to be sure and finally put to rest the guessing about differences.
They sure look great with the new logo!

Thanks for your impressions and posts maybe some others will also try them out.

*** By the way, headband constructions are identical between the MX10B and 100Z ( so also 100V ? ), maybe only differing with words stamped into the pleather , I'd have to check about the words differences.

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2020 at 6:42 PM Post #97 of 125
Great news on the impressions !

It's always difficult to convey sound when someone is only reading text.
Thanks to all the posters in the thread here for attempting that.

Most everything I see says the 100Z and 100V are the same, then there are one or two reviews
by folks in Japan that have /tried both the 100V and 100Z where they seem to say
the 100V is slightly different but just barely.

> However this could easily be due to physical pad fit at the time ( hair in the way, stock pads etc ).
The stock pads are not much good I feel.
I forget if the factory also does the long hour presale burn-in on the new V model if not that may be another factor.
For sure they were mentioning the 100Z being a limited release for studio-direct sale, the new 100V being geared to general consumer market sales in larger numbers.

Don't hesitate to consider some replacement pads mentioned earlier in the thread here.
If you feel it is good now, there is still a little room for improvement !
The Z700 / Z1000 pads.
Some listings show regular flat MDR-V6 types, but find the few that are like the odd-looking original Sony Z700 / Z1000.
They are hard to confuse.
Comfort is bumped up, fit and seal is excellent compared to the stock pads.
With fit and proper seal the low end gets a slight boost and the sound improves overall.
Ears are kept at same distance from driver as stock pads more or less so no goofy sound changes.
Pretty sure that is also seen in GREQ's great charts.

I had been tempted to try the new 100V model also, just to be sure and finally put to rest the guessing about differences.
They sure look great with the new logo!

Thanks for your impressions and posts maybe some others will also try them out.
I will take a look at those pads thanks. Is it hard to remove and install the pads?

I also want to get some better headband cushion, as the stock pretty much doesn't have any padding so it isn't comfortable.

I am working on a review on it (I have the mx100) and am very impressed by it. (to the point of that I am looking at their ss01/02 model too lol.)

Dec 15, 2020 at 6:48 PM Post #98 of 125
No it should be easy to install the pads, just go slow as usual.
There is no double-sided tape used = they are like regular pads that slip into the grooves around the baffle to cup area.

Yeah me too been looking at the SS01/2 for ages. Not a lot of decent impressions, or at least decent reliable ones.
Every time I do consider them I end up not buying some, so maybe I get cold feet from reading stuff.

Dec 15, 2020 at 6:51 PM Post #99 of 125
No it should be easy to install the pads, just go slow as usual.
There is no double-sided tape used = they are like regular pads that slip into the grooves around the baffle to cup area.

Yeah me too been looking at the SS01/2 for ages. Not a lot of decent impressions, or at least decent reliable ones.
Every time I do consider them I end up not buying some, so maybe I get cold feet from reading stuff.
Do you know if these pads will work?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01J53KM32

(I have a pair of those)

Dec 15, 2020 at 6:59 PM Post #100 of 125
Unsure .
I have tried a whole pile of softer things on them before as I have a large bin of earpads.
To my ears I could not find any that did not alter the sound except the aftermarket Z700/Z1000.

But I have never tried the ones you linked. Perhaps they will work and keep your ear close to the driver like stock.
Resulting inside earpads cavity space is likely also a factor.
If you look there is not much in the stock pads after you have them on.

You should be able to notice any effect if you try.
BTW I place the rears of my ears inside first and let the fronts ride on the side of my head.
Not trying to ever let everything ride above on top.

In short= Can't hurt to try! You'll know right away I bet.

**** Ooops just noticed the ones you linked are Brainwavz. Did not like them myself but those were an older Brainwavz version, maybe these ones you linked collapse more.
Did you look back at GREQ's charts with various stuff in earlier pages?

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2020 at 7:01 PM Post #101 of 125
Unsure .
I have tried a whole pile of softer things on them before as I have a large bin of earpads.
To my ears I could not find any that did not alter the sound except the aftermarket Z700/Z1000.

But I have never tried the ones you linked. Perhaps they will work and keep your ear close to the driver like stock.
Resulting inside earpads cavity space is likely also a factor.
If you look there is not much in the stock pads after you have them on.

You should be able to notice any effect if you try.
BTW I place the rears of my ears inside first and let the fronts ride on the side of my head.
Not trying to ever let everything ride above on top.

In short= Can't hurt to try! You'll know right away I bet.
Yeah, I guess. I just don't want to destroy the stock pads just to find out that the other pads don't work lol.

I probably get the Z700/Z1000, are they both the same?

Dec 15, 2020 at 7:08 PM Post #102 of 125
Yes the same as the Sony models used the same cups, they should look like this.
See how the edges are tapered a bit, smaller opening vs many others.
Sony MDR Z1000 7520 ZX700 Headphone eBay.png

Of course this is simply my impressions ( and another person here who also has them ).
Maybe you can find something similar that works nobody has yet tried.
I love buying pads LOL

Dec 15, 2020 at 7:12 PM Post #103 of 125
Have a peek at GREQ's post in here = post #79 .

Dec 15, 2020 at 7:13 PM Post #104 of 125
Yes the same as the Sony models used the same cups, they should look like this.
See how the edges are tapered a bit, smaller opening vs many others.
Sony MDR Z1000 7520 ZX700 Headphone eBay.png

Of course this is simply my impressions ( and another person here who also has them ).
Maybe you can find something similar that works nobody has yet tried.
I love buying pads LOL
I found this one:
https://www.amazon.se/gp/product/B00TCP34ZW
But it seems to be wrong. I dont really like getting 3rd party pads (last time I did I ended up wasting like 80 usd on some brainwavz pads...).

im more interested in if something like this will work lol:
https://www.amazon.se/gp/product/B010LD2U80

Dec 15, 2020 at 7:20 PM Post #105 of 125
I have had no issues with aftermarket for these.
I have bought at least 5 pairs of these Yifei ones, maybe more.
The other person in here I mentioned also has bought them and been just fine.
Only 2 links I can easily find right now in spoilers box, though not tried actual Sony parts places or online sources besides here.
Can't be much different with the overall quality of aftermarket stuff these days.

Your headband pad is going to leave a lot of sticky residue on the headband, and potentialy peel off the outer pleather coating if you remove them after it sets in place.
I mean the headband covering is durable yes, but I have also seen some older MX10B on overseas auction the odd time that they did something like that and the outer covering has been damaged in places badly.
Though the sets look like they had been run over by a bus LOL

There must be a thinner cover that has the button snaps or zippers for cheap.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back