New JH Audio flagship! "Siren Series Roxanne"
Oct 29, 2013 at 10:37 AM Post #407 of 8,377
I am new here and dont quite get it... What is so fantastic about a universal version? Are 50$ for impressions such a drawback?

1. Resell value.
2. Avoid potential hassle of resending your pair due to imperfect fit the first time you get your pair. At worst you have to do it more than once.
3. Don't need a re-shell every 2-years or so to re-adjust the fit.
4. Shorter wait time on shipping (So far the long wait on JH16 is killing me). See 2 and 3

Oct 29, 2013 at 10:40 AM Post #408 of 8,377
I am new here and dont quite get it... What is so fantastic about a universal version? Are 50$ for impressions such a drawback?

Should you not like them, universals are easier to sell without losing much value. Customs on the other hand, should one choose to sell (& assuming the maker allows transfer of ownership) will lose  more 'cos the buyer has to pay for impressions and re-molding.

Oct 29, 2013 at 10:54 AM Post #409 of 8,377
heir audio is the only transfer company I know, but there must be others. I am selling my hair 8a with the card and transfer time left....

Al D

Oct 29, 2013 at 11:08 AM Post #411 of 8,377
A universal version would be really nice and certainly something unexpected.

There is a huge risk for customs in general as many people are not able to demo before buying so it is a leap of blind faith. Also there could be refit issues and if this is between different countries shipping can get expensive. Also resale value goes to 50% or lower of what you paid should you not like it. Lastly your ciem may not fit a few years later and you can either reshell or sell at a loss.

Oct 29, 2013 at 12:07 PM Post #412 of 8,377

At that price, it challenges the TG!334.

I'm sure it will outclass it easily quite frankly. That's what my friend said when he compared it with his TG334! at the show. He was ticked off to say the least
redface.gif

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Oct 29, 2013 at 12:42 PM Post #413 of 8,377

Should you not like them, universals are easier to sell without losing much value. Customs on the other hand, should one choose to sell (& assuming the maker allows transfer of ownership) will lose  more 'cos the buyer has to pay for impressions and re-molding.

I can envision a second hand market where this is purchased as a pre-custom trial that gets resold.

Oct 29, 2013 at 12:58 PM Post #414 of 8,377

After my experience with JH16. I have decided not to go with custom anymore. It is not about $50,- the hassle at least in my experience is way over $50 if you can assign a value to it.

Oct 29, 2013 at 1:08 PM Post #415 of 8,377
The problem with universals I have, all my life I could never get the seal and fit I am supposed to get, results in poor isolation, poor sound and lots of frustration. The moment I put my first customs into my ears (SE5way) I felt so good and I thought all those years I wasted time with universals and got mad for nothing.

So if you are a person like me, not really lucky with universals, customs can be a better choice.

Oct 29, 2013 at 1:10 PM Post #416 of 8,377
  The problem with universals I have, all my life I could never get the seal and fit I am supposed to get, results in poor isolation, poor sound and lots of frustration. The moment I put my first customs into my ears (SE5way) I felt so good and I thought all those years I wasted time with universals and got mad for nothing.

So if you are a person like me, not really lucky with universals, customs can be a better choice.

Then on the flipside there's me (loads of hassle) and others for whatever reason customs just aren't as simple.

Oct 29, 2013 at 1:19 PM Post #418 of 8,377
Then on the flipside there's me (loads of hassle) and others for whatever reason customs just aren't as simple.

Out of curiosity, can you please explain briefly what problems did you have with customs.

IMHO, from fit perspective customs are a way better than univerals. But the main drawback of the CIEMs is that you have to completely rely on someone's opinions/impressions, which differ a lot.

Oct 29, 2013 at 1:23 PM Post #419 of 8,377

+1, the waiting alone is a hassle. I'm praying that it's a perfect fit on day 1 otherwise it gonna be another long and agonizing wait. It better be worth it though soon as I get my hands on JH16. This could be my first and last.

As with universals, perfect fit is a challenge sometimes. There are a few times when a music sounded a bit different mainly because of the fit. I keep re-adjusting it on my ear. Good for me the comply tips are comfortable enough I can wear my iems for longer periods especially when I get a perfect fit I keep the IEM in my ear for as long as I can.

Oct 29, 2013 at 1:28 PM Post #420 of 8,377
I've grown to prefer the comfort of customs.  Universals can also be comfortable but it's very hit and miss depending on the design of the earphone, what tips it will fit etc...  The universal Roxanne will likely possess a larger than average housing and that could make it difficult to for those of us without huge (Mickey Mouse style) ears.  I'll hold off until a few of these are out in the wild before I seriously consider my options.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back