New JH Audio flagship! "Siren Series Roxanne"
Oct 10, 2013 at 1:55 PM Post #137 of 8,377
Personally I think it'd be ridiculous to expect a company to discount their newly forged flagship off the bat.

Oct 10, 2013 at 4:47 PM Post #140 of 8,377
Personally I think it'd be ridiculous to expect a company to discount their newly forged flagship off the bat.

Well, it really depends on how you look at it.

Quite a few CIEM companies have had opening offers on new models.

There is a benefit to the company in offering an opening discount - it encourages first-adopters to take the plunge, and if they then like the CIEM in question, they can publish decent reviews and then many potential customers may also take the plunge, even after the opening discount has expired.

Oct 10, 2013 at 5:45 PM Post #143 of 8,377

Ridiculous that the company may have missed the cost target yes, but for the consumer it is nice when it actually occurs.

I wonder how much is in the total cost of the drivers, cable, and shells.  Anyone know?

Oct 11, 2013 at 4:26 AM Post #148 of 8,377

Ridiculous that the company may have missed the cost target yes, but for the consumer it is nice when it actually occurs.

I wonder how much is in the total cost of the drivers, cable, and shells.  Anyone know?

I'm pretty sure that the drivers themselves aren't exactly cheap but in no way the most expensive part of the final product. R&D and the actual construction is what really drives up the cost - The level of skilled labor you need for these things doesn't come cheap.

Oct 11, 2013 at 5:40 AM Post #149 of 8,377
Have anyone wondered how expensive it will be for JH Audio if people who opt for the carbon fiber repeatedly sent back their roxanne for refit? If it's too loose, I'm sure JH can just add another layer of acrylic/resin on it but if it's too tight, does that mean JH have to replace the entire housing? Not sure how refitting works though so my assumptions may be wrong.

12 drivers- Impressive that he manages to squeeze in 12 but ultimately, quality is more important than quantity. Most people here will go for the better sounding iems than the ones with the most drivers. Knowing JH though, he won't be cramming in 12 drivers just for the sake of cramming in 12 drivers. So to me, it's a novelty which might be the best sounding iems ever (until the next one comes along).

Carbon fiber housing- This is what got me drooling, since I'm a carbon fiber nut. I know it doesn't improve the sound in any way but I'm probably going to go for this option if I ever get the roxanne. Kudos to JH for including this option. The carbon fiber case with the negative mold insert is insane too. My personal thought is if you want to include packaging, either go for the cheapest option so the customer pays the least for it, or go all the way so that the customer feels that even his money is well spent on the packaging. In this case, you know my thoughts on it. However, like some have pointed out, I'll be interested to know how the carbon fiber housing is made.

Variable bass: I like the idea of variable bass and I know it can be implemented well without leaking into the mids, like the Digizoid amp. So I'm keeping my mind open about this and if JH does it as well as Jude said, I'm sold.

Price- This is like the cost of a really really good ultrabook.... I need an ultrabook more than a roxanne. Oh well, it might give JH enough time to come out with the next ciem with a carbon fiber housing too (or maybe graphene housing?!).

Oct 11, 2013 at 6:22 AM Post #150 of 8,377

I bet it will below 750 buck, but labour cost, overhead cost, shipping cost, scrap cost, yield off, RMA factor.. Probably cost close to 1000, selling at 1.5k @ 33% profit I think make sense for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back