New JH Audio flagship! "Siren Series Roxanne"
Feb 23, 2016 at 12:02 PM Post #7,952 of 8,377
Does anyone know if the Roxannes have the fullness and weight in the bottom end as the JH13Pro does? My longtime favorite was the JH13Pro because it had the perfect bass weight/punch for me, but I always desired a little bit for clarity. I just bought a custom set of Roxannes, hoping that I'd have the JH13 bottom end, with a bit added clarity and sparkle. Is this an accurate description of what I have to look forward to with my Roxannes?

Feb 23, 2016 at 10:57 PM Post #7,953 of 8,377
Trying out the new Moon Audio stock cable, I purchased the Black Dragon cable initially because these were not yet available but the Black Dragon was a bit too dark for my taste, even after burn in. A lot of Angie owners love them so I suppose they just aren't well suited for the Roxanne due to the extra bass drivers. So far the sound is more transparent, the main difference is there's less bass and that's great because I didn't have a problem with the rest of the spectrum of the black dragon. For those that are unaware JH Audio had trouble securing reliable cables for the siren series but it wasn't just that, I noticed a decrease in sound quality compared to the original cables that came with the Roxannes I purchased over a year ago. In fact they never sounded quite as good with any other cable and that's why I've been searching for a good replacement. Some Roxanne owners probably don't even know how good the Roxanne is supposed to sound because of this. I can guarantee that if you purchased your Roxannes within the last maybe 5 or 6 months they don't sound as good as they could if you're using the old stock cable. I'm going to let these cables burn in and see if they open up a bit, if not then Moon Audio has Siren Series Silver Dragon cables coming to market soon and I know I will love them. I used to go for the Twag cables when I used my JH16 pro so I love that open airy silver sound.

Feb 23, 2016 at 10:59 PM Post #7,954 of 8,377
  Does anyone know if the Roxannes have the fullness and weight in the bottom end as the JH13Pro does? My longtime favorite was the JH13Pro because it had the perfect bass weight/punch for me, but I always desired a little bit for clarity. I just bought a custom set of Roxannes, hoping that I'd have the JH13 bottom end, with a bit added clarity and sparkle. Is this an accurate description of what I have to look forward to with my Roxannes?

The Roxanne can sound like the JH13 yes, you can use the bass adjustment pot to add more fullness if you want but the sound you're looking for would have the adjustment pot set flat to 0. So the Roxanne can have as much fullness as the JH13 or much more.

Feb 24, 2016 at 12:37 AM Post #7,955 of 8,377
Trying out the new Moon Audio stock cable, I purchased the Black Dragon cable initially because these were not yet available but the Black Dragon was a bit too dark for my taste, even after burn in. A lot of Angie owners love them so I suppose they just aren't well suited for the Roxanne due to the extra bass drivers. So far the sound is more transparent, the main difference is there's less bass and that's great because I didn't have a problem with the rest of the spectrum of the black dragon. For those that are unaware JH Audio had trouble securing reliable cables fo r the siren series but it wasn't just that, I noticed a decrease in sound quality compared to the original cables that came with my Roxannes that I purchased over a year ago. In fact they never sounded quite as good with any other cable and that's why I've been on the hunt for a good replacement. Some Roxanne owners probably don't even know how good the Roxanne is supposed to sound because of this. I can guarantee that if you purchased your Roxannes within the last maybe 5 or 6 months they don't sound as good as they could if you're using the old stock cable. I'm going to let these cables burn in an see if they open up a bit, if not then Moon Audio has Siren Series Silver Dragon cables coming to market soon and I know I will love them. I used to go for the Twag cables when I used my JH16 pro so I love that open airy silver sound.

Any idea of the timeline for the silver Dragon cable?

Mar 3, 2016 at 3:56 AM Post #7,957 of 8,377
(I posted this in the Fiio X7 thread, but figured I'd post it here, too). Apologies for the dumb question, but what spec should I look at for determining whether my DAP has enough power to drive my JH Roxanne CIEMs? Right now I'm using a Fiio X7 DAP (w/AM1 amp module), and I'm wondering if it's not enough power. I tried connecting a Fiio Mont-Blanc E12 amp, and it seem to open things up on the Roxannes, so maybe I need more power?

When looking online at portable headphone amps, I see specs like "output power" listed in mW, Vrms, and then things like "output impedance", "output voltage", and "output current". Which should I look at to figure out whether it's enough to drive the Roxannes?

Thanks!

Mar 3, 2016 at 11:08 AM Post #7,958 of 8,377
  (I posted this in the Fiio X7 thread, but figured I'd post it here, too). Apologies for the dumb question, but what spec should I look at for determining whether my DAP has enough power to drive my JH Roxanne CIEMs? Right now I'm using a Fiio X7 DAP (w/AM1 amp module), and I'm wondering if it's not enough power. I tried connecting a Fiio Mont-Blanc E12 amp, and it seem to open things up on the Roxannes, so maybe I need more power?

When looking online at portable headphone amps, I see specs like "output power" listed in mW, Vrms, and then things like "output impedance", "output voltage", and "output current". Which should I look at to figure out whether it's enough to drive the Roxannes?

Thanks!

You don't need to worry about anything except output impedance. Choose an amp that has the lowest output impedance you can find, the higher the output impedance the worse BA iems will sound. All other values are practically irrelevant, roxannes (and pretty much all BA iems) are extremely sensitive and you can easily blow out your eardrums even with a weak amp.

With regards to your question about jh13 vs rx, that is exactly what the rx will give you. Tune it to 1pm and you will get the bottom end of the 13s, with far more clarity in the upper mids and highs. Tune it to 2pm and you will get some extra warmth for bass-light recordings. Tune it to 12, and it's great for bass-heavier recordings. But overall 1pm works well as a jack of all trades. IMO, anything below 12 sounds a bit dry (not enough sub-bass) and over 2pm sounds too boomy and dark (way too much mid-bass).

Overall though, I think roxanne, to my ears, is tuned with too much mid-bass relative to rest of the spectrum. After some DIY tweaking, I had a custom cable made that adds resistance to the mid drivers to dial them down a bit (most mid-bass actually comes from the mid drivers), and now it sounds perfectly balanced, to me.

Mar 7, 2016 at 3:41 PM Post #7,959 of 8,377

You don't need to worry about anything except output impedance. Choose an amp that has the lowest output impedance you can find, the higher the output impedance the worse BA iems will sound. All other values are practically irrelevant, roxannes (and pretty much all BA iems) are extremely sensitive and you can easily blow out your eardrums even with a weak amp.

Thanks for your help. Right now I'm using a Fiio X7 DAP, which I believe has an output impedance of 0.2 ohm. I was looking at upgrading to something like an Astell & Kern AK240 DAP, but that has a listed output impedance of 2 ohm. Does that mean that my Fiio X7 will do a better job of driving my JH Roxannes than the $2,500 AK240??

Mar 7, 2016 at 4:53 PM Post #7,960 of 8,377

Thanks for your help. Right now I'm using a Fiio X7 DAP, which I believe has an output impedance of 0.2 ohm. I was looking at upgrading to something like an Astell & Kern AK240 DAP, but that has a listed output impedance of 2 ohm. Does that mean that my Fiio X7 will do a better job of driving my JH Roxannes than the $2,500 AK240??

If those specs are correct then probably yes. Those who want to believe in the $ placebo effect will hear anything they want to hear :)

Mar 30, 2016 at 8:14 AM Post #7,962 of 8,377
How is the fit on the universal version? Currently using the UM50's which has amazing fit, not ready to do CIEM's yet or buy used ones to refit either.

Mar 30, 2016 at 5:37 PM Post #7,963 of 8,377
How is the fit on the universal version? Currently using the UM50's which has amazing fit, not ready to do CIEM's yet or buy used ones to refit either.

Compared to your UM50's not great. The Roxanne's are huge and if you have small ears could be a problem. Finding the right tips that work best for your ears is key with Roxanne. She is definitely a try before you buy or get it from some place with a good return policy in case they don't work out. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back